The Thing (1982) Gets A Prequel

Tools    

Man, The Thing is so good. I don't expect this to be as good, but I like the original so much I'm actually glad we're getting this prequel, just because it's more of the same story.

I've been pumped for this for a while and the signs have been strong, director preferring SFX of CGi etc. Bit disappointed the trailer appears to be showing a thinly veiled remake but suppose it's kinda unavoidable with the content. Still looking forward to it, could do with less woman (the whole examination of male ego etc was such a strong part of why the original was great, i don't see gender roles being explored too much here) and CGI set pieces.

I Love Carpenter's The Thing. It's one of my favorite sci-fi horror movies. I doubt the prequel will come very close but I must say it looks like they did a good job.

Even though I know the ending, I think it will be fun to watch. Hopefully it will recapture some of that tension and paranoia of who is human and who is not that made The Thing so awesome.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I like the idea of a prequel to The Thing, because it's one of my favorite movies, but this looks awfully like a remake. Hopefully it's just the trailer and the actual movie won't be.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
All I have to say is that I love The Thing, and I just hope that they don't overdue it with to much CGI and make it a mess. Because it would just be horrible to use CGI to do this....

could do with less woman (the whole examination of male ego etc was such a strong part of why the original was great, i don't see gender roles being explored too much here)
I'm happy there is a female lead this time around, you had your male ego examination in the original, so we can have a female in the new one. Plus, I adore Mary Elizabeth Winstead, so can't wait to see her in it.

All I have to say is that I love The Thing, and I just hope that they don't overdue it with to much CGI and make it a mess. Because it would just be horrible to use CGI to do this....

I feel exactly the same. I love those 80s effects. CG is pretty much a given, but hopefully they'll use it wisely.

I'm happy there is a female lead this time around, you had your male ego examination in the original, so we can have a female in the new one. Plus, I adore Mary Elizabeth Winstead, so can't wait to see her in it.
You said it!

It's irritating when people complain about changes while also complaining about it being too similar.

I think focusing on a female lead will make for an interesting variation on the original, which was totally male-centric.

They say it's a prequel, but why is it so similar to Carpenter's film... One of the scenes from the trailer was practically from Carpenter's film.

Also I think the prequel thing is just to please the fans, how come they kept the same title.

Reminds me of Tron: Legacy,

I'm mainly looking forward to this simply because I love the concept of the alien organism presented in Carpenter's film, and like Yoda I just want to see more of it.

Whilst I like the idea of introducing a female character into the cast; I do think making her the lead is a little tired. It's become a bit of a sci-fi/horror cliche really. Still, I think it would have been a mistake to go with another all male cast.

Thinly veiled remake yes, but when you watch Carpenter's film, it quickly becomes obvious that history is about to repeat it'self at the US outpost. It will be interesting to see how well the films gel together...continuity wise especially. Are we to take it no-one survives this movie, in that they are simply doomed to die at the beginning of Carpenter's?

I've read reports this has been a troubled production with lots of re-writes, so it remains to be seen whether they nail it or not. I'm a little worried about the effects being too CGI, but these guys made the Dawn of the Dead remake which looked great, so maybe I should give them a little more credit. Shame Rob Bottin's not invloved though.

Overall I remain quietly optimistic with fingers tightly crossed.

Damn... well said UF. Now I kind of want to see this.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The point is to remake The Thing without getting people crying out "WTF! They're remaking The Thing?!?! Sacrilege!"
Hollywood remade Charade with Marky Mark Wahlberg for cripes sake, so o don't think sacriledge is in their vocabulary.

I will be checking it out. The original is a classic. The tension and SFX were world class and it's a timely film alongside The Fly remake in that came out during the whole HIV/AIDS era. I will give this one a chance but obviously will not be holding my breath.