The Punisher Appreciation Thread

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
What is the publication date?
It was a 12 issue mini series published in 2000, then was turned into a regular series, but was cancelled when they started the MAX series. Some of the Punisher movie with Tom Jane was based on it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
The Punisher: The Slavers (Col. #25-30 Nov. '05 - Apr. '06)

Garth Ennis • Leandro Fernandez

I feel weird holding this book. As this was the second Punisher book I've ever bought, it's also in the worst condition. I had a little peanut butter accident and the first page's ink peeled off. Never the less, it is a good book, not the greatest ever, but still a well enough to buy.

It all starts on a cold night, Punisher just doing his, well ya know, punishment. When a girl shoots his target. The targets fellow gang members, imaginably pissed, come after the girl. Frank, being the guy he is, decides to save her and take her back to a hotel room where he learns of a slave ring. While saving her, a cop and his partner comes around, the Punisher, wanting to be bullet-hole free, takes their gun and lockes the guns in their car. A detective from the same department, also working for the said slave ring, he starts a no tolerence Punisher campain. Violence ensues.

Garth Ennis' writings is what really lacks here, it's not so much in the story, but in Ennis' portrayal of Frank Castle. The Punisher I know of could have kicked your ass, and all of your friends asses, he could even rip your ass out and beat you with it. Here, The Punisher is a bit to nice for my taste, I mean sure he's always been nice to civilians that are caught in the crossfires. But he's never just bought them a hotel room and new clothes, he's normally just let them be. Frank also has to study up, I mean wtf, this man has been through war, seen Vietnamese torture people probably. He's been through hell, not much more he can, or should, learn. He also makes a stupid mistake. Again, Frank is not some stupid brute, he's actually smart, he's military trained. The Punisher I know can kick your ass without you knowing it till death.

Leandro Fernandez finally perfected his Punisher character design! The damned head finally goot bigger. Now Frank looks more like a badasss and less like a circus freak I'd pay $5 to see. The old man is legitimatly scary looking and the blood still looks great. Can't complain when something's very good.

Grade: B-

PUNISHER: BARRACUDA (Col. #31 - 36 May - Oct. '06)

Garth Ennis • Goran Parlov

Thank God for two for ones! I got this with The Slavers, and believe it or not, they share a lot of similarities. Both start off with what seems to be a simple enough job, but lead to a big ol' evil business that Punisher must kill. They both are also good, but they both aren't great.

Like I said, this book's plot starts with Frank, doing his duty, killing cokeheads and cokehoes alike. There he finds a naked, (and freshly butt-raped) civilian, who tells him of an evil scheme by the evil corporation of Dynaco (not the Cars or Toy Story company, I checked.) They plan on periodically blacking out parts of Florida so their stocks will go up. Frank doesn't like that, so he goes to Miami to stop them. Dynaco has a big black man named Barracuda in their corner to fight back.

Ennis' writing again lacks here. I know I've said it once, I'll say it again, The Punisher I know of is smart, strong, and always had a plan. Here, he talks too much and Ennis makes him complain way too much. By issue #35 I was like, "I get it, Barracuda beat you up, a lot" and he kept going. Ennis also wrote in the character of Barracuda, for me, he was way too cartoony and unrealistic. I mean sure Punisher has done crazy-!@#@ before, but Barracuda like tripled that.

Parlov is a good artist, for a cartoon. The Punisher MAX isn't a light book and shouldn't be drawn as such. His backgrounds are too bright and his faces all ended up looking the same (primarily in the eyes.)
Grade: B

PUNISHER: WIDOWMAKER (Col. #43- 49 Mar. - Sept. '07)

Garth Ennis • Lan Medina

This is the type of book I buy and point as evidence that I'm not gay. I would define this as the manliest book I own. You've got five hot chicks, lots of sex, and even bigger guns. I loved the whole thing!

Those babes I mentioned are also widows, Punisher-made widows. They are really pissed off, and think of a genius idea, try to kill the Punisher. This imaginably doesn't go well because of a thought to be dead little sister, getting revenge for her bad marriage, ended by the Punisher.

Garth Ennis' writing finally came back to his true greatness. I really liked that he told some of the stories, behind some of the grunts, and how he's really just doing to them, what was done to him. IT's good for drama, and like I've said before, Punisher is supposed to be dramatic, and it also has to have heads being blown off. With that said, I must say I was dissapointed with the end, the kills weren't good, Punisher didn't kill, and we didn't even need the black cop.

Lan Medina's art was very good though. He knows how to draw, ummmm, rather large in chest area women. Being a hetrosexual male, I loved this. His Punisher character design is good, he has a thing for drawing faces and he doesn't rely on shadows too much.

Grade: A

The Punisher: BORN (Col. Born #1-4 June - Oct. 2003)

Garth Ennis • Darick Robertson

Why did I not read this first? It's not that this isn't a good book, in fact it's a great book. It never bored me, and I liked the art. I guess I just had a cracked out moment. While not being in the same timeframe as other MAX stories, it's one of my favorites and still an A book.

Have you ever wondered why Frank is the way he is? Where he learned how to kill people so efficently? It's because of the Vietnam War, for years it remained a mystery of what exactly happened. Now Garth Ennis has told us what happened during Frank's third tour he almost didn't come home from.

Garth Ennis' writing here is really good. He captures a war-time people, a scared private, and a desperate to keep his war going, Frank Castle. I mean sure I didn't agree with many of the things Frank did, but I could see why he did it. His situation was so crappy it was almost comical, but Frank still kept his duty of killing and protecting. I also did like that Ennis' touched on many themes that could be adapted into the Iraq War.

Darick Robertson's art is also good. Seeing a young Frank Castle is really cool, and his portrayl of the Vietnam War is very accurate (from what I've seen on the History Channel,) I guess it pays to watch documentaries. The whole last issue is just so awesome looking that I want to get some of the iconic shots of Frank blown up and put in my room. Although, at times he does relly a bit too much on the shadow, but that can be forgiven.

Grade: A-

Keep in mind, this is from #61- 63, so it might get a lot better.

Punisher: Girls in White Dresses (so far)

Gregg Hurwitz • Laurence Campbell

I'm glad I was convinced to re-read this before I gave this the worst rating I've ever given a Punisher book, a D. Now I'm not saying that this is a great, book, it's not even that good, but it does hold Ennis' torch well, for his bad books.

Gregg Hurwitz's story begins with a little town being stalked by kidnappers. Days, sometimes months, even maybe years, the bodies would return, dead. Now Frank Castle has been oh so gracious as try to get into this operation and save the town.

#61 was a pleasant surprise. The story kept me intrigued and held the torch well, but the art was a bit too shadowy for my taste.

#62 was also good. While not as good as #61 it held up fine and had a great cliffhanging ending. But the art, sheesh it was still bad.

#63 is were it fell apart for me. The story takes forever to state something that could have been condensed down to like four pages, however I did like the themes explored as, What if? The Punisher had killed somebody. But the damned art still sucked.

Grade: C

For those interested, the non-faithful, but Lennon still enjoys, The Punisher movie will be on FX Wed. Oct 22, at 7 P.M. and on Oct. 23 at 4:00 P.M.

All times EST.

Punisher: Mother Russia (Collects, #13-18 Jan. - May '05)

Garth Ennis • Dougie Braithwaite

This comic I feel, is an important event in my very brief Comic book life, it was my first really hard to find comic. I swear, for the past like 3 weeks, (I'd strut in Bee-Gees music in the background, optional) on either Wednesday or Saturday (because I'm cool like that,) and say "Yo Joe, (that's right, I ryme,) you got my book yet?" Every week he'd say no. Til' one day I forced him to call the people and get it. I'm glad I did, this is a really good Punisher book.

It seems weird that I am going ga-ga over a character that's not the Punisher, but the one character that I think could actually take the Punisher actually, Nick Fury's here! He comes to Frank in order to fufill a mission, the most important this side of Red Dawn, he must get in to get a girl infected with a disease called Barbararossa. It is the most dangerous thing ever, no really, you get zapped, hardcore. To make things worse, a Cold War vet, comes in later in the story, nicknamed the Man of Stone.

The Man of Stone was a great character. He was a real badass, and will do anything to keep his Mother Russia alive and well, presumably under communisim (why not, The Smurfs did well under it.) He'll even kill one of his commarades to protect it.

Nick Fury is a lot like him in the fact that he beats one of commanders for doing something very immoral, and wrong. I liked him a lot better than Valley Forge, Valley Forge's Fury, in there he was way too bitter and really just a sad sap of a man, opposites here.

One character I didn't like was the Punisher's partner hired by the Army. He seemed more like a plot device than much else the one thing I remember he did was being able to get there, prove that Frank really does have even more of a soft spot for kids (which is proven about a bajillion times.) Seriously, like why?

The plot does unfold fine. The beginning scene is everything we could have wanted. Everyone and their mom (litterally) get shot, knifed, or blown up. Then the rest is pretty much spent in a nuclear silo, Frank killing Russians that are trying to invade. The twist with the plane hijacking, wasn't very good. But by the end, the twist was superb. I swear, I never saw it coming.

Garth Ennis artist from his first Punisher artist, Dougie Braithwaite are reunited. Reunited, and it feels so good? Well, In a few panels Frank looks like he should have gone to Arkham a long time ago (#16, pg.12, panel 5.) The lighting effects of the bar scene worked well and the gushes and gushes of blood coming from people is nearly unmatched.

Grade: A- The more I think about it, the more I like it.

The Punisher: War Zone

The year of comic book movies is almost to a close, after this there will be Will Eisner's the Spirit. Since I don't plan on seeing the Spirit, this is my last comic book movie of 2008. Well, as a person who created this thread, I can happily say, my movie year ended with a bang.

You may have caught the other two Punisher movies, the first being in 1989 with Dolph Lundgren playing our gun-totting good guy. The second being in 2004 with Thomas Jane. All of them were flops, and this one looks to be too, but I can say this version is my favorite.

If you've read the source material (which I STRONGLY encourage,) you'll know what you're getting into. It's violent, gory, has lots of black humour, and you can tell even from the beginning credits you can tell Lexi has major respect for it. You see what look like actual panels for those mentioned credits, many MAX and Marvel Knights characters come up including (but not limited to,) Microchip, Maginty, Pitttsy, even Tiberius and Cristu make an appearance, if you're an avid reader like I am, you can see references in damn near every scene.

With that said, the cinematography and lighting effects were all they could be. Some might say, myself included, that this looked like Disco was back and it made me want to taking off my shirt and go dancing in the fire escape. Truth be told it was really good, even in a certain scene I felt like panels from the book just came at me.

I did like Ray Stevenson as our dark depressing hero. He embodies it well, he's got the build and hair, although Thomas Jane had the voice. Dominic West does well as Jigsaw, he's nice and over-the-top, the way he should be, it's a hitman who gets disfigured in a glassing accident. He has to be pretty over-the-top. But topping that catagorey is Loony Bin Jim, played by Doug Hutchison. It was an actual delight to see a psycho played perfectly and seeing an actor having so much fun. Some other people in the cast are a little seen Wayne Knight as Punisher's assistant Microchip, and Dash Mihok as lovable loser Det. Martin Soap.

The script by Nick Santora, Matt Holloway, and Art Marcum, was pretty much the same thing. They did change some of the characters, but it wasn't the whole anal-rape-fest of the character like 2004's. They did write a lot of action, but when it did stop, an actual plot manifested, it kept moving. I did like the theme of The Punisher accidently killing an innocent but he rebounded to well for my liking. As far as the dialouge goes, and it was nothing horrible, but not exactly Casablanca calibur.

All in all, this is everything any fan of the Punisher, or violence could ever ask for.

Rating:

I love the Punisher. He's my favourite comic "hero" of all time. Max is an incredible series, and the movie from 04 is my favourite comic book movie. Punisher War Zone wasnt the best, but it personified the Max series pretty well.

Punisher X-mas (Feb. '09)

Jason Aaron • Roland Boschi

Wow, this is my dream team. Jason 'Scalped' Aaron, writing for the Punisher? Get Leandro Fernandez in there and you'll instantaniously get one of the best Punisher stories ever. I would prefer this team over the current Gregg Hurwitz and Laurence Campbell team working on Girls in White Dresses.

This is sadly a one-shot, and like most one-shots (excluding the Jonah Hex series) the story lasts too short. We barely get introduced to the characters, and the whole 'Punisher protecting mobster to save his baby' angle along with those three gun-totting men. Could have lasted longer, but hey I'm still on a high from War Zone, so it ain't to much of a problem.

One thing I do have a problem with is the art. It's not that I dislike Roland Boschi's style, it's just the way he draws Frank Castle, mainly the eyes. I know he's crazy, but he doesn't look that crazy. However, Daniel Brown does draw it very light colored, I'd prefer a little darker, but eh, not to bothered by it.

This is probably my favorite Xmas one-shot. Damn good stuff.

Rating:

Just a reminder that Punisher: War Zone releases on DVD and Blu-Ray today.

Best news I've heard all day.
Are writer Jason Aaron and artist Steve Dillon on their way to The Punisher?
Colorist Matt Hollingsworth updated the Current Comics Work page on his website, and one of the projects he lists is The Punisher, starting with issue #75, “with Jason Aaron, Steve Dillon, Sebastian Girner and Axel Alonso.”

Although Marvel responded with a “no comment” when asked about it, it wouldn’t be the first time either creator worked on the character. Dillon worked with Garth Ennis on the character for about two years, and also drew a Punisher/Bullseye mini-series. And Aaron wrote last year’s Punisher MAX X-Mas Special. Based on his work on Scalped and Wolverine, Aaron seems like a natural choice for the title.

Thanks to Robot 6 reader “TC” for the tip.

For those interested: Steve Dillon and Jason Aaron's new Punisher book is previewed in Punisher MAX #75.

Employee of the Month
Great Thread. The Punisher is the coolest Hero in the Marvel-Universe. I used to read lot of "War Zone" Stuff when I was younger. Don`t buy Comics anymore, but Garth Ennis makes a good job. Old School-Favorites: "Psychoville", "Punisher kills the Marvel Universe" and the Silver-Sable/Venom Crossovers.

I was looking at some of the Punisher in Daredevil and I thought the fans would be more than happy with how he's been handled. I only know the character from the films but it seems to me that John Bernthal could be the best screen Punisher. My favourite is Thomas Jane and I loved Dirty Laundry, but I'm very impressed with this new take on Frank Castle and I'm very interested to see him in his own series.

By the way, I always liked Daredevil too; again just the idea of him in Ben Affleck's film.

I had the first appearance of the Punisher in comics (Amazing Spider-Man #129), bought it for $2, and it ended up being worth $300-400 dollars when I sold it. Now its probably worth a grand.

I havent seen the netFlix Daredevils yet, but am hearing alot of great stuff from it. I especially like D'onofrio cast as the Kingpin

The first storylines that really sunk Punnys teeth into me were some Daredevils and a Spider-Man annual done by Frank Miller. Miller likes the Punisher, and Ive always enjoyed his take on Frank Castle the most.

I havent seen the netFlix Daredevils yet, but am hearing alot of great stuff from it. I especially like D'onofrio cast as the Kingpin ]
Yeah, he's great from what I've seen. I mean I remember him most from Full Metal Jacket and he was big enough there but he looks huge in this, and really physically threatening too.

Enjoying da hell out of some Daredevil, been gooshing over it in my review thread.

I like Jon Bernthal, good actor, but prefer Thomas Jane. He just looks like Frank Castle compared to Bernthal.

Neither would be better than this guy though. Jeffrey Dean Morgan would be the perfect Punisher. imo