Least Deserving Best Picture Oscar Winner?

Tools    

There are so many, but I am just surprised Crash was even nominated.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
My pick: Ordinary People over Raging Bull.

Dances With Wolves doesn't bother me at all, even though Goodfellas is in my top ten.

Easy. Slumdog Millionaire. Although 2008 was a very weak year for movies.

Frost/Nixon, The Boy In the Striped Pajamas or Wall-E should have won that year.

Best picture: Titanic
Why: Full Monty should have won. Titanic was a good movie but not best picture material. The Special effects was cutting edge but the story was predictable. I still believe that at the heart of every great film is a great story.

Best picture: Dances With Wolves
Why: This is a close call and this may be just a personal preference but Goodfellas should have won.

Best picture: Rocky
Why: Come on... Taxi Driver should have won. Rocky was a good movie but does not hold a candle against Taxi Driver.

1938 down, i haven't seen any of those. which i should.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
And I still don't get all the hype behind All About Eve, either. Probably in my bottom 5, though I've only seen half the winners.

Speaking as someone who loves it, my primary reasons for loving it are a) great acting and b) great dialogue.

That, and the story's pretty timeless.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
And I still don't get all the hype behind All About Eve, either. Probably in my bottom 5, though I've only seen half the winners.
Yoda already mentioned two of the many reasons I love this movie. Good dialogue is important to me in movies, but it needs good delivery and man can Bette David deliver good dialogue! I erased all but two of my top ten because it's all changed. I have to think on it more but I'm fairly sure All About Eve is getting the number 3 spot. If not certainly the 4th.

Semper Fooey
Cimarron and In the Heat of the Night are right behind How Green Was My Valley in my opinion.
In the Heat of the Night was a good movie, but that was the year of Bonnie and Clyde and The Graduate, and Heat was a distant third compared to those two.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Here are mine, and the film I thought should've won that year:

- Braveheart (Real winner: Apollo 13)
- Crash (Real winner: Brokeback Mountain)
- Slumdog Millionaire (Real winner: Frost/Nixon)
- Forrest Gump (Real winner: Pulp Fiction or Shawshank Redemption)
- Gladiator (Real winner: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
- A Beautiful Mind (Real Winner: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring)
- Shakespeare in Love (Real winner: Saving Private Ryan)
- Titanic (Real winner: Good Will Hunting or L.A. Confidential)

I realize people have other opinions as to who should've won, and I respect that. When I say real winners, these are movies I either have a personal preference for, or I haven't seen some of the other nominees as of yet.

The year Rocky won was a great year and I can see the argument against it, but the film was a huge hit and people loved it. I remember when it won, the crowd kinda went nuts. There was no way a dark film like Taxi Driver was gonna win; All the President's Men was rather dry (I love it, though!), and Network was pretty intense. The voters could get behind Rocky -- it was a sleeper hit and kind of a Cinderella story. I get why it won and I really don't have a problem with it.

Everyone seems to complain about Gladiator. It is one of my favorite films. Russell was so amazing. There's something about that film that just gets to me -- I've seen it like 20 times. I know people love to rag on it; the screenplay was a tad poor at times; but it was exciting and the hero was a throwback to the kind of pure hero, loyal and true. I just think when you look at the other films nominated, this was the only film a lot of people could rally behind. I also think Russell's charisma in that performance made the film a rare kind of film. We just don't see films like that very often -- especially one that is successful and doesn't come across as cheesy.

Without going back too far, the worst BP winner for me was Crash. There are too many reasons why this film sucks -- over the top performances (Bullock), contrived scenes and a screenplay that is beyond bad (called "fables" by the author -- my god). I can't believe this film was nominated, let alone win. It's the one time I couldn't understand the Academy. I didn't even want to watch the Oscars again after that! UGH.
I loved Gladiator and so did Hollywood. It's always been big on epics and those really deserve to be in a seperate category. Going back to the Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, El Cid, Lawrence Of Arabia ( one of the best directors of all time ) and Spartacus, it was very fitting that Gladiator got the nod. It was awesome in scope and Russel Crow really came across strong. I literaly felt that speech he gave in the arena and it made me want to join him against Cezar.
As far as Crash was concerned, that was a very " can't we all get along "
politicaly correct choice at the time. I won't name them but there were a few others where I went " what ?" and then thought about it and it became clear to me.