Torchwood

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Yep, gotta say James Marsters didn't have to stretch his acting muscles much, the character was just like Spike without the cool black clothes and white hair.

I accidently got some 3 hour documentary from Netflix. I only get 2 at a time, and I was stoked to get them, not realizing that I had added this documentary. I wanted the episodes! Now I have to wait another 3-4 days. Ugh.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Finished the second season.

Boy, did I cry. I even watched the episode 2 times.

I find it rather shocking that some characters were only given 2 seasons.

I have some real concerns:

1. Why was the third season so short? The show has been successful; I'm confused as to why the creator of the show thought it was "creative" to make a 5 part mini-series instead of a 13 show season? I can't find an answer to that that sounds logical.

2. They are saying there will be a season 4, but there's also gossip on the net that John Barrowman wants to do a stint on Desperate Housewives. Will this interfere?

Truthfully, I'm extremely attached to Captain Jack Harkness, and if he left Torchwood, I think it will hurt the show tremendously. His bulking stature, that amazing coat... all gone? No! I cannot see this show without him.

Also, they haven't even started shooting or confirmed Barrowman would be back. It seems to be a long wait for more Torchwood.

I'm going back to Doctor Who and watching the Harkness episodes.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
To be honest I don't know how they can carry on Torchwood since
WARNING: "Torchwood" spoilers below
all of the characters but Gwen, Rhys and Jack are dead

I read today that Russell T. Davies is considering writing a US version of Torchwood.

Found this too.

Russell T. Davies has confirmed that a fourth series of Torchwood is in the works.

Speaking to TV Guide Magazine, the show's creator revealed that he is hoping to get started on the new run in January 2010.

"The recession has hit British television, but fingers crossed, it will be a go," he stated. "We expect things to start to move in January.

"We've got great ideas for the show. I think there's a further lease on life for many years to come, but certainly for a [fourth season]."

Davies previously said of a possible fourth series: "I could write you scene one of series four right now. I know exactly how to pick it up.

"I've got a shape in mind, and I've got stories. I know where you'd find Gwen and Rhys, and their baby, and Jack, and I know how you'd go forward with a new form of Torchwood."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/...rchwood-4.html

It's from November, so you'll have to wait to see whether there's anything said about this, I'm afraid.

Thought this might be of interest to the Torchwood fans.

'Buffy' producer joins new 'Torchwood'

Former Buffy and Angel producer Kelly Manners has joined the production team for Torchwood: The New World.

The Hollywood Reporter claims that Manners will begin work on the show next month, when production is expected to commence.

Life On Mars and Outcasts director Bharat Nalluri will join Manners on the fourth series of the Doctor Who spinoff, as will The Walking Dead production designer Gregory Melton and Dollhouse costume designer Shawn Trpcic.

The report also suggests that the ten-episode run could premiere in July in the US, though an official airdate is yet to be confirmed.

Series star Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper) recently revealed that she is planning to move to Los Angeles when shooting begins.

Torchwood: The New World will air on BBC One in the UK and Starz in the US.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/...torchwood.html

Bill Pullman joins 'Torchwood' cast

Bill Pullman has joined the cast of the upcoming fourth series of Torchwood.

Deadline reports that the Independence Day star will play psychotic murderer Oswald Jones in the ten-part run.

A dangerous and clever criminal, the character will escape his prison sentence and become involved in a worldwide crisis.

Pullman's film roles includes appearances in Sleepless In Seattle, Casper and The Killer Inside Me. He also starred in NBC mini-series Revelations and made a guest appearance in a 2008 episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

Torchwood: The New World will air on BBC One in the UK and Starz in the US.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/...wood-cast.html

Eliza Dushku to star in 'Torchwood' spinoff?
Torchwood writer Jane Espenson has confirmed that a new online spinoff from the sci-fi drama is in the works.

She revealed on Twitter that Torchwood: Web of Lies will accompany new ten-part series Torchwood: Miracle Day when it airs in July.

"There is going to be Torchwood web content," she wrote. "So in addition to [the television series] there is Torchwood: Web of Lies. Enjoy all the [Torchwood] brands!"

In subsequent posts, Espenson also hinted heavily that actress Eliza Dushku will star in the online series.

"We have faith in Torchwood: Web of Lies," she said. "It's tru; there's an echo of my past work in [this spinoff]."

Dushku previously played the character of Faith in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She also starred as Tru Davies in Fox's Tru Calling and portrayed Echo in sci-fi drama Dollhouse. Espenson worked as a writer and producer on all three series.

Torchwood: Miracle Day will air on BBC One in the UK and Starz in the US.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s8/to...d-spinoff.html

It's confirmed.

Eliza Dushku confirmed for 'Torchwood' spinoff

Eliza Dushku has been confirmed to star in a new spinoff from Torchwood.

It was previously rumoured that the actress would appear in the online series, subtitled Web of Lies.

Entertainment Weekly now reports that the former Dollhouse star will voice the lead role in the project, described as an animated "motion comic".

The series is expected to launch prior to the Starz launch of Torchwood: Miracle Day on July 8. Subsequent instalments will then tie in to episodes of the television series.

Web of Lies will consist of ten three-minute videos and will also feature the voice talents of Torchwood stars John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) and Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper).

Former Buffy writer Jane Espenson will co-write the web-series alongside Ryan Scott. Espenson has scripted the third, fifth and seventh episodes of Miracle Day and co-wrote the eighth instalment with Scott. She has also co-written the season finale alongside Torchwood creator Russell T. Davies.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s8/...d-spinoff.html

Just started it, bit Flashforward in a few too many respects. Nice cast though, except that awful Welsh woman's still in it

'Torchwood' future uncertain, says Starz boss

Starz CEO Chris Albrecht has revealed that Torchwood may not be picked up for another season.

Albrecht told reporters at the TV Critics tour that the sci-fi drama's future is dependant on the schedule of series creator Russell T. Davies.

"Torchwood is not one of the shows we went into thinking about a yearly return," he explained. "It's about Russell T. Davies [because] he has a lot of things on his plate. If Torchwood is at the top of his list, that will effect the future of Torchwood."

Davies is currently developing a new drama series named Cucumber with Showtime, it was announced last month.

However, the showrunner previously told Digital Spy that he was having second thoughts about leaving Torchwood.

"I say [I'll quit] at the beginning of every year and then I get to the end [of the series] and I love it again," he explained. "So I don't know. It is time that I moved on and did something else, but we'll just see how well [Torchwood: Miracle Day] does."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s8/...tarz-boss.html

Not being a homophobe but this Godfather Part 2 gone gay side story is far too hamfisted with contrived clunky dialogue, cheap music, that I can't nearly watch it. Barrowman needs to lay off foundation and learn to act. The general premise has got me interested to see conclusion but between that Welsh bird and this it's almost painful watching.

Not reading any of this thread because I'm trying to catch up. I saw the promos for "Miracle Day" and was so intrigued by the premise that it actually persuaded me to go back and watch all the rest just so I can "legitimately" watch this latest season. This was somewhat helped along by the facts that a) it's all on Netflix Instant and b) I don't have tons of other great TV options left, though.

Anyway, I liked it at first, but I'm most of the way through season 2, and it just feels kind of...empty. Warning: lots of complaining coming up.
1) You know how a great show draws you in and makes you care in little ways that you don't always realize? Well, with Torchwood I feel acutely aware, at all times, that I'm watching a TV show. Every twist or event feels like it's out of a playbook.

2) The relationship crisscrossing just feels goofy to me. It's so over-the-top, but not even in a fun way. There are so many seemingly random and arbitrary combinations that the show feels like a fan fiction version of some other show.

3) The plot twists (and the relationship stuff just mentioned) feel like short-sighted ways to generate drama RIGHT NOW, but I never get the impression that much thought is being given to which characters do what, and why. I feel like the show is far more concerned with whatever would be kind of dramatic right now, even if it doesn't feel like something the characters would do, or sacrifices the show's long-term narrative. Like Jack, who was no-nonsense at first, but after his coming out party at the end of season 1 starts spitting out you-go-girlfriend-level quips.

4) Things just get glossed over, all the time. My wife jokes that every episode feels like we're watching every other episode, because things that just happened will fall completely off the map. In the beginning, they were trying to hide what their organization did, for obvious reasons. Here in season 2, they don't seem to care at all half the time. There are all sorts of other things that just happen, like the stuff with Eugene, that seems completely inexplicable and is not even remotely explained.
It doesn't help much that none of the characters are terribly likable and everybody comes off as petty and self-absorbed. I don't need to like the characters to like a show, of course, but it seems fairly obvious to me that, in this case, I'm supposed to.

There are a few exceptions. The resurrection glove stuff has been fairly interesting. And some of the stuff between Gwen and Rhys has been clever. But that's few and far between. And it sounds like a lot of people are disappointed in the latest season. Still, I'm most of the way there, so I'll soldier on and catch up. But I'm really underwhelmed.

The first series is worst for the non likable characters, it improves a lot during the second series for that. One reason I didn't like the first series, didn't like the characters apart from Captain Jack, and they just shoved things in to make it more 'adult' to get it away from Doctor Who and therefore felt forced.

All this was better in the second, and the third series is the best so far.

Not being a homophobe but this Godfather Part 2 gone gay side story is far too hamfisted with contrived clunky dialogue, cheap music, that I can't nearly watch it. Barrowman needs to lay off foundation and learn to act. The general premise has got me interested to see conclusion but between that Welsh bird and this it's almost painful watching.
The only thing I didn't like was the cheesy dialogue between the two men when describing what they would do to that woman on the balcony, so cringeworthy the whole sequence. Apart from that I liked the episode.

But yes, Barrowman isn't much of an actor and never really has been, but then Doctor Who/Torchwood are not the best place to look for amazing acting... his acting is mediocre but it's nothing that spoils much.