The Roland Emmerich Appreciation

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
The little boy from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, West Germany (try saying that five times fast, or once for that matter) who went on to make movies that prove, AMERICA RULES!

I really like his movies, people call him the Uwe Boll of big budgets but people forget that this is the entertainment business and sometimes you just have to turn off and enjoy, my top three would have to be:

1) The Patriot

The ten reasons I love this movie
  1. Jason Issac's performance as Col. William Tavington was magnificent
  2. The musical score was inspirational
  3. The blood looks real
  4. The chemistry between Mel Gibson and the late Heath Ledger was very good.
  5. It is almost heart breaking
  6. Come on, he stabs a horse, with the AMERICAN FLAG
  7. Talking about the movie makes me want to watch it.
  8. The costumes are very well done
  9. It is the reason my top 100 list is flawed
  10. Some very good camera work
    WARNING: "Especially when" spoilers below
    Col. William Tavington is stabbed by Benjamin Martin
2) Independence Day

Top 10 reasons I love it:
  1. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum have great chemistry and should team up more often.
  2. The special effects are cool
  3. The white house explodes.....need I say more?
  4. Vivica A. Fox, a stripper? Okay!
  5. Bill Pullman, the badassest president since James Marshall
  6. It can be incredible, and incredibly stupid at the same time.
  7. Man, I've got to get me one of these!
  8. It's the first movie me and my sister both liked (no joke)
  9. The music is good
  10. A cute doggy
3) The Day After Tomorrow
  1. Ultra-kool funkster Quaid
  2. It isn't scientifically accurate, yet we watched it in science class, and I laugh when I think that.
  3. Look at the poster!
  4. The ending was superb
  5. It tells us not to rape our earth
  6. Best tagline ever, This year, a sweater won't do.
  7. Like all of his films, it is incredible and incredibly stupid.
  8. the effects look nice
  9. The rain sequence
  10. The homeless guy with the dog was funny

You're a Genius all the time
hack

1. n. a person, as an artist or writer, who exploits, for money, his or her creative ability or training in the production of dull, unimaginative, and trite work; one who produces banal and mediocre work in the hope of gaining commercial success in the arts: As a painter, he was little more than a hack.

2. n. a professional who renounces or surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward in the performance of a task normally thought of as involving a strong personal commitment: a political hack.

Dictionary.com

must you always disagree with me?

You're a Genius all the time
must you always disagree with me?
Hey, I was just about to ask you the same question!

I'm sure we agree on a few things, but talking about The Patriot does not make me wanna watch it. And I didn't find the dog in Independence Day all that cute. Oh, and I think Roland Emmerich is a bad director.

Funniest thread EVER. Good one, Lennon!

Oh, wait. You were joking, yes?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I enjoyed The Patriot… but have never wanted to watch it over and over again like I have Braveheart… I did think about getting it out again after Ledger died but just haven't been in the mood yet....

Independence Day is not one I'd watch over and over either… but it was pretty funny in places… particularly the desert scene with Smith and the alien… and Goldblum and Smith inside the mother ship….

I don't even remember The Day After Tomorrow so must not have been too impressed…. I am, however, getting curious about 10,000 B.C. though…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Well Caitlyn, Sunday on FX it is on so watch it again

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I actually don't mind quite a few of his films. Granted, they aren't the most cerebral flicks out there, but his films usually provide good Friday night entertainment. Universal Soldier, Independence Day, Stargate, The Patriot, Godzilla, hell, I didn't mind 2012. The Day After Tomorrow is the only film of his I'm not a fan of (though I like it a lot more than I used to).

He isn't the greatest director of all time, but he isn't a horrible one, either.

When I was 7 my favorite movie was Independence Day. Nowadays I would say that I watched 2012 and it wasn't bad but wasn't good either, just mediocre. He is a better director than Michael Bay but nowhere as good as James Cameron and Steven Spielberg, the two best Hollywood blockbuster directors in my book.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Michael Bay isn't really all that bad, either. He may be all about the moolah, but he does put effort into making his films as entertaining to the target audience as he can.

I was impressed the monstrous scale of destruction in 2012. That's the only full compliment I have for him but I think other than that I've only seen Independence Day and Godzilla, neither one of which I remember well.

I find Emmerich's blatant disregard and willful ignorance for anything outside of the US quite disturbing, especially for a man who isn't American.

Universal Soldier, Independence Day and Godzilla are probably the only movies of his I find remotely watchable... even then, the racism and his stereotyping of anything non-American is rife throughout Independence Day and Godzilla.

The rest of his stuff is bloated and shallow.
2012 and The Day After Tomorrow are the worst of the lot though.

I don't care much for Emmerich.

Independence Day and The Patriot were the only good movies he's made.

Godzilla, 2012, and The Day After Tomorrow were horrible. But that's just my opinion.

This summer, he has a movie coming out called White House Down starring Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx, James Woods, and Richard Jenkins. We'll see how that fares.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Independence Day is a classic, but that's all that I've really wanted to see of his. I'll call him a 1-movie wonder at this point.

INDEPENDENCE DAY is one of the corniest movies I have ever seen and I find more unintentional laughs in it with re-watch. I liked THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW though.

Lol! Talks about unintentional laughs in Independence Day yet likes The Day After Tomorrow.

I heard somewhere if you watch The Day After Tomorrow with the mind-set that it's a Spoof, it actually makes for more of an enjoyable film.
I tried it once... and yes, treating it as if it was a Spoof makes it a better film.