The Great Gatsby Remake

Tools    

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I just finished reading The Great Gatsby for the first time, not because the remake was coming up but because everybody always laughed at me for having not read it. I really thought I was going to hate the book but turned out to love it and could not put it down, now I am really looking forward to this remake, just hope they don't screw it up to bad.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Baz's "Great Gatsby" Delayed Six Months

August 6th 2012

Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures have officially pushed back the much anticipated release of Baz Luhrmann's ada[tation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic novel "The Great Gatsby" by around six months.

Originally scheduled to hit at Christmas this year, the film will now hit during the height of the U.S. summer film season next year, though no specific date in the May-August time period has been selected as yet.

Disitribution presidents Dan Fellman and Veronika Kwan Vandenberg also gave an official statement about the move. Fellman says “Based on what we’ve seen, Baz Luhrmann’s incredible work is all we anticipated and so much more. It truly brings Fitzgerald’s American classic to life in a completely immersive, visually stunning and exciting way. We think moviegoers of all ages are going to embrace it, and it makes sense to ensure this unique film reaches the largest audience possible.”

Vandenberg added “Baz is known for being innovative, but with this film he has done something completely unexpected—making it in 3D—while capturing the emotion, the intimacy, the power and the spectacle of the time. The responses we’ve had to some of the early sneak peeks have been phenomenal, and we think ‘The Great Gatsby’ will be the perfect summer movie around the world.”

While the move likely increases the film's commercial potential, it effectively scuttles much of the awards hopes for the project. Luhrmann famously takes his time finishing and refining his projects in post, no word if that had any effect on the delay here.

It also partly frees up an overcrowded December schedule which already includes "The Hobbit", "Jack Reacher," "Django Unchained," "Les Miserables," "Zero Dark Thirty," three comedies including Judd Apatow's "This is 40", and numerous high profile limited releases including "Amour," "Hyde Park on Hudson " and "The Impossible".
Probably smart to push it back, December is going to be a crazy month for movies.

Semper Fooey
Actually, despite the spin that doesn't sound good, delaying it for six months.

Actually, despite the spin that doesn't sound good, delaying it for six months.
Quite a few Films have been delayed over the years. Have you been taking your medication, will?

Delayed usually means troubled production.
Not in Australia

Until we lose ourselves we have no hope of finding ourselves
Dude I am SO PUMPED For the new Great Gatsby. For such a classic book, its good they're doing a modern remake. Leo DiCaprio is the perfect Gatsby, but yet there are a lot of good contenders that could play Gatsby. I also think that chick (the one who was in Drive) is perfect for Daisy... she's such a complicated character and I think she'll do a great job at it

I can't wait to see this movie!

"My name is Psycho but you can call me Stuart."
I have had The Great Gatsby remake on my 'must see' list from the moment that it was announced that it would be a Baz Luhrmann project; Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Juliet, and Moulin Rouge (feigns ignorance of Australia) were wonderfully lavish cinematic/theatrical offerings.

I find myself to be a tad apprehensive now as the first reviews from the US critics have been mixed...the majority meeting the film with a lukewarm response.

"My name is Psycho but you can call me Stuart."
I think DiCaprio makes a better Gatsby than Redford.
I'm inclined to agree with you. It may be classed as blasphemy by some, but I thought Redford was stilted and uninspiring as Gatsby.

Oh God... I forgot that this was in 3-D. Even though the prospect of seeing Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire together in 3-D sounds interesting, I HATE wearing those glasses and I personally don't feel like 3-D is anything exciting. Ugh. What am I gonna do....

Not Enough Time
I want to see this movie so bad!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen any of the previous film versions, but I did read most of the book, and thought it was great. I think this new version looks, according to the trailer, fantastic (very specific word choice there) and perfect to fit the book. It's (the book) like a mixture of a 60's trip party and an old school ball room dance. Which, actually, fits because that's kind of what the 20's were like; on the surface still proper but behind the scenes, risqué. Or so I've come to understand.

Anyway, it looks awesome. Lots of glamour, symbolism, and complications.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

It's bombing so far with critics, 45% on RT two days before the release, and even less with top critics. That being said I still want to see it, but am skeptical on how good it's going to be. To bad Ebert isn't here to say something.