The Punisher Appreciation Thread

Tools    

I like Jon Bernthal, good actor, but prefer Thomas Jane. He just looks like Frank Castle compared to Bernthal
Most people I know who like the Punisher character do not like the Thomas Jane movie. I kinda do, and I certainly like it more than War Zone, which my friends think is blasphemy.

My room mate, who loves the Punisher comics and hates both the 2004 film and the 2012 short, will admit that Thomas Jane made an amazing Punisher in the 2005 video game, which he thinks is one of the best interpretations of Frank Castle. The game was everything the movie was not though, giving players a very dark and violent version of the character. It was his favourite up until Daredevil season 2.

As much as I like Thomas Jane in general, I have to say that Jon Bernthal's version is quite a bit better, and certainly closer to the spirit of the character from the comics. You say he doesn't look like the Punisher to you, but my room mate says the exact opposite. He thinks Frank should be a rather ugly son of a bitch who you don't want to cross paths with walking down the street at night. To him, Thomas Jane is too pretty/soft to play Frank right on film (personally I don't care), but Jon Bernthal is perfect. Well, he doesn't like Bernthal's hair, but that's for an entirely unrelated reason haha.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Had this one as a kid and never found the next issues, so I don't know how it ends. I might finally use this thing called the internet to find it.

Suspect's Reviews

I used to read Punisher, and the War Zone. I always thought War Zone was better, I remember they had the sweetest one shot story between him and Wolverine drawn by Jim Lee Jim Lee is this generations Neal Adams. Love his work!

Im just finished with Daredevil Season 2 Episode 9....the show is giving the character perfect representation storyline wise, and his fight scene in this one may have been one of the best moments in the series.

Most people I know who like the Punisher character do not like the Thomas Jane movie. I kinda do, and I certainly like it more than War Zone, which my friends think is blasphemy.

My room mate, who loves the Punisher comics and hates both the 2004 film and the 2012 short, will admit that Thomas Jane made an amazing Punisher in the 2005 video game, which he thinks is one of the best interpretations of Frank Castle. The game was everything the movie was not though, giving players a very dark and violent version of the character. It was his favourite up until Daredevil season 2.

As much as I like Thomas Jane in general, I have to say that Jon Bernthal's version is quite a bit better, and certainly closer to the spirit of the character from the comics. You say he doesn't look like the Punisher to you, but my room mate says the exact opposite. He thinks Frank should be a rather ugly son of a bitch who you don't want to cross paths with walking down the street at night. To him, Thomas Jane is too pretty/soft to play Frank right on film (personally I don't care), but Jon Bernthal is perfect. Well, he doesn't like Bernthal's hair, but that's for an entirely unrelated reason haha.
Thomas Jane is my favourite, probably because of Dirty Laundry, although I also liked him in the film. I can see what your room mate means about him – maybe it's more that he's too soft in his manner rather than his appearance? Certainly Bernthal is outwardly a lot more of a devastated human being from what I've seen and the fight scenes are spectacular. I particularly like the moments where Daredevil is having to fight Frank as much as the villains.

I really liked Dirty Laundry as well. I usually bring it up to defend Thomas Jane's Punisher, but my room mate actually hates that more than the movie. In his opinion, the fact that Frank stood around for so long not wanting to get involved was completely counter to the Punisher as a character. Personally I think my room mate is being overly critical, and is just stubbornly refusing to even consider a version of the character that's different from the comics he read.

I really liked Dirty Laundry as well. I usually bring it up to defend Thomas Jane's Punisher, but my room mate actually hates that more than the movie.
God, really !?

In his opinion, the fact that Frank stood around for so long not wanting to get involved was completely counter to the Punisher as a character. Personally I think my room mate is being overly critical, and is just stubbornly refusing to even consider a version of the character that's different from the comics he read.
Well maybe, but I'm sure he'll know the comics and it may well be that way. It's quite strange being a fan of characters like this when you haven't been a comic fan. But I know the feeling of owning a character and wanting to see it done faithfully.

I'm guessing that he thought Frank in Dirty Laundry was too introspective and almost between worlds, like you could imagine he'd given up being the Punisher. It makes sense that the comics Punisher wouldn't turn a blind eye for so long but realistically in this film Frank doesn't look like he has any weapons on him, so it would make sense to gauge the best moment to strike.

I'm guessing that he thought Frank in Dirty Laundry was too introspective and almost between worlds, like you could imagine he'd given up being the Punisher.
That right there is exactly why he didn't like it. I said that Castle didn't want to get involved at the start because he didn't want to be the Punisher any more, but my room mate was adamant that Frank Castle would never be able to give up doing what he does, not even for a minute.

That right there is exactly why he didn't like it. I said that Castle didn't want to get involved at the start because he didn't want to be the Punisher any more, but my room mate was adamant that Frank Castle would never be able to give up doing what he does, not even for a minute.
Yeah, I must say that I couldn't imagine Jon Bernthal's Frank doing any soul searching once he's become the Punisher. Dirty Laundry does make it seem as though Frank isn't the Punisher without his costume, which again seems contrary to the core of his story. It almost feels like an alternative origin tale, and yet he gives the kid his skull t-shirt, so he's clearly already the Punisher within that film.