Gatsby's New and Improved Flick Critique

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
Welcome to My Review Thread!

My original thread was too unorganized and didn't gather a lot of people so I decided to make a fresh new start. The number of reviews on average will go up and better format and specific ratings are waiting for you.

Ratings:

- Masterpiece, all-time favorite
- Great film but a bit missing in terms of quality
- Solid, and very tolerable
- Good, but not great

For films with the ratings above I'll use this pic to end my review

- Meh, but certainly watchable and has a lot of decent stuff in it.
- Lacking a lot, but still you can salvage a couple of things.
- Very mediocre or slightly horrible.

For films with the ratings above I'll use this pic

- Overall a horrible film.
- Total waste of time.
or less - A cinematic disaster and a disgrace to humanity.

Films with the ratings above will have this classic pic

Films Reviewed so far:

1. The Room -

2. The Italian Job -

3. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies -

4. Snowpiercer -

5. North -
-
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark -

7. Avengers: Age of Ultron -

- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- The Room

What I would like from this thread

- Discussion
- A bit of healthy debate, not too much, since it would overwhelm me.
- Overall good fun

Basically only those three, nothing else. And they require your help, so please do check in once in a while to read some of the amateur reviews I write. Hop everyone including me enjoys the thread while it lats.

Let the Show Begin!

Okay Gatsby, good looking first post, I am ready to start the debates. Opening question: What's up with you and Judge Judy? Are you a stay at home father? Are you retired? Are you unemployable? Obviously these are the only explanations for watching people argue about property lines and $100 loans.

Master of My Domain
Okay Gatsby, good looking first post, I am ready to start the debates. Opening question: What's up with you and Judge Judy? Are you a stay at home father? Are you retired? Are you unemployable? Obviously these are the only explanations for watching people argue about property lines and $100 loans.
I wish I was a stay at home father so I could romp at playgrounds and watch soap operas every day, yes I have retired...from life and yes I'm unemployable because I employed myself. And I love people arguing about property lines and $100 loans. Cracks me up. Though I only rewatch the old seasons because they are the best, recent Judge Judy is crap.

Anyone else?

I wish I was a stay at home father so I could romp at playgrounds and watch soap operas every day, yes I have retired...from life and yes I'm unemployable because I employed myself. And I love people arguing about property lines and $100 loans. Cracks me up. Though I only rewatch the old seasons because they are the best, recent Judge Judy is crap.

Anyone else?
Fair enough. I will admit I have not watched a full episode of any of these shows since my grandparents stopped watching People's Court. I just really hate the humanity on display in court shows and talk shows like Maury. I have already had my faith in our culture shaken enough without subjecting myself to those shows.

Master of My Domain
Will try to check in from time to time Your Honour!

Out of interest which version of The Italian Job did you watch - the Collinson 1969 original classic or the 'this is a typical Hollywood remake in name only' Gray 2003 offering?
The classic one, obviously. I gave the remake a judge Judy facepalm.

Anyone else?
There's a British one now called Judge Rinder. I think its been going on for a while now, but I only became aware of its existence the other day. Compared to Judge Judy its terrible, and that's saying something since Judge Judy is a horrible show

Master of My Domain
Aguirre: Wrath of God (1972)

Starring: Klaus Kinski, Hellena Rojo, Ruy Guerra
Directed by: Werner Herzog

"Aguirre: Wrath of God" begins with an amazing shot, one of the most ominous and mystifying ever created. It shows the captured natives and their rulers, the greedy conquistadors marching down a steep, foggy mountain. You instantly know things won't go as well as planned, because the foreshadowing made with falling cannons, natives dropping dead, and most of all the demoralized, crazed faces of the men dehydrated- not from lack of water- but an ever-lasting thirst for riches and fame, is truly brilliant. It sets the tone of the film perfectly; from now on what we wll be saying is madness, only madness, just madness.

The most crazed of all the doomed men is Aguirre, (Klaus Kinski), a wrath waiting to grow. Since the very beginning of the film you can see him lurking around, blue eyes batting in disgust towards the current leadership, confidence that one day he'll be in charge and remembered as the one who find the legendary city of El Dorado, the city the men are looking forward, rumors of it filled with gold and riches. He gets his chance when the main commander, Gonzalo Pizarro (Alejandro Repulles) assigns him second-in-command, just under Pedro De Ursa (Ruy Guerra) to explore the rivers. He convinces the men and takes over as soon as he gets the chance.

Afterwards there isn't much of a plot to explain. Actually, there isn't much plot because there is no reason to have a complex one. We all know the men including Aguirre are all going to perish, one way or another. Adding quests and dialogue and plot twists only becomes an agonizing factor to a film born to me minimalist at its best. It is an adventure film, but we don't get what we usually call "adventure" in film. There is no magical items, no unrealistic swashbuckling movement of men. We don't even get to see the enemy, where our explorers are at, or even what's happening. In the usual case we would not get detail considering the voyage to the ultimate destination- the ultimate destination is all that is mostly shown. This film is all about the voyage- a haunting, mesmerizing illusion of destruction.

I'd like to comment on how the way the film is shot and directed, because it's what makes the film stand out even more. When Herzog makes a camera movement or transition or cut, the instability shows- on purpose. There's a lack of dialog and sound. Basically "Aguirre: Wrath of God" is a documentary missing a few interviews here and there, but the great thing is we don't need interviews to see how the men are feeling, it's all described perfectly with Herzog's minimal script and direction, and of course the acting, which is great not because the actors all have great performances, it's that they are so realistic.

So there it is, what you can expect from "Aguirre: Wrath of God" A slow path to a pure demented state lead by the one-of-a-kind Klaus Kinski. That golden city, that river's end seems so close, yet never becomes a reality. Or was the entire experience on the boat made-up hallucinations? Nobody really knows, and I think it's the beauty of the film.

"Aguirre: Wrath of God" is a simple idea elevated to so many states of genius.

+

well well well... you started a review thread I see. or should I say a second one because you failed the first time...

+rep for effort I guess.

I will check in, I promise (maybe)

Really though, I have been meaning to watch Aguirre for so long. I feel kind of embarrassed that I still haven't watch it yet. gotta get to it soon! I love Herzog too.

The Room is awesome! One of those films that deserves a score in both ends of the rating system. Depends on how you see it.

Anyone else?
Gats arent you a fairly young man? so no job that requires you to go to another location and do some mind bending work?

Master of My Domain
Gats arent you a fairly young man? so no job that requires you to go to another location and do some mind bending work?
I'm in my final college year and currently earning money with tutoring services.

well well well... you started a review thread I see. or should I say a second one because you failed the first time...

+rep for effort I guess.

I will check in, I promise (maybe)

Really though, I have been meaning to watch Aguirre for so long. I feel kind of embarrassed that I still haven't watch it yet. gotta get to it soon! I love Herzog too.

The Room is awesome! One of those films that deserves a score in both ends of the rating system. Depends on how you see it.
Thanks buddy. Aguirre IMO is Herzog's best.

Speaking of Ruy Guerra, watch Os Cafajestes for the 60s list - it's great. If that's not enough to get anyone to watch it, it has more nudity than any other movie from that time

Great review Gatsby, you are a good writer. One of my favorite films!