Skepsis' 100

→ in
Tools    

Some honorable mentions. First a couple that would have made it had I seen them before I compiled the list.

Heavenly Creatures
Peter Jackson, 1994
Kate Winslet, Melanie Lynskey & Sarah Peirse

"We have decided how sad it is for others that they cannot appreciate our genius."

The Purple Rose of Cairo
Woody Allen, 1985
Mia Farrow, Jeff Daniels & Danny Aiello

"I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just thoroughly looked over your list, Skep. Looks awesome, I've written down a bunch that I'd like to see. Today I made my top 100 on my word document. Looks good and is a lot different from my top 100 from 3 years ago. Just think I need a bit more sorting and I may be good to go.

Just thoroughly looked over your list, Skep. Looks awesome, I've written down a bunch that I'd like to see. Today I made my top 100 on my word document. Looks good and is a lot different from my top 100 from 3 years ago. Just think I need a bit more sorting and I may be good to go.
Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy the ones you've written down. Any you're particularly looking forward to catching?

Looking forward to seeing your new list!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Super, Back to the Future, City of God, Black Swan, The Graduate, Annie Hall, Dead Poets Society, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Straight Story are the ones I have written down.

Good for you for putting Eternal Sunshine in the top spot.

It's definitely one of my favorite movies, and reading your review of it reminded me that Charlie Kaufman is my favorite screenwriter.

Have you watched Synecdoche, New York? I find it one of the most fascinating movies ever - one that unfolds further and more delightfully with each re-watching. It's a highly underappreciated film. Too bad, because Kaufman is having trouble coming up with funding for his second screenwriting-directorial combo.

Have you watched Synecdoche, New York? I find it one of the most fascinating movies ever - one that unfolds further and more delightfully with each re-watching. It's a highly underappreciated film. Too bad, because Kaufman is having trouble coming up with funding for his second screenwriting-directorial combo.
Yes, but only once and a while ago now, I have to revisit it. Kaufman and Hoffman are a match made in heaven, two of my favourite people working in film. I did like it (I think I gave it
at the time) but I definitely need to give it a rewatch soon. I feel like it has a lot of good stuff under the surface that I haven't discovered yet.

Let the night air cool you off
Obviously I find your number one to be a fantastic film. I haven't seen either of the honorable mentions, but I'll be seeing Purple Rose soon. Heavenly Creatures is on my watchlist though.

Just saw Eternal Sunshine (finally). I loved it! Definitely one of the most unique and moving romantic dramas I've seen.

Some more honorable mentions:

Boogie Nights
Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997
Mark Wahlberg, Julianne Moore & Burt Reynolds

"I'm gonna be a great big bright, shining star."

500 Days of Summer
Marc Webb, 2009
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Zooey Deschanel & Geoffrey Arend

"Roses are red, violets are blue... F**k you, whore!"

Hannah and Her Sisters
Woody Allen, 1986
Mia Farrow, Michael Caine & Barbara Hershey

"For all my education, accomplishments and so-called wisdom, I can't fathom my own heart."

Man on the Moon
Milos Forman, 1999
Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito & Courtney Love

"You're insane, but you might also be brilliant."

Thelma and Louise
Ridley Scott, 1991
Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis & Harvey Keitel

"I don't ever remember feeling this awake."

We've gone on holiday by mistake
"Roses are red, violets are blue... F**k you, whore!"
Due to this one line I will be seeking out this movie at the earliest possible convienience.

Give me all of your candy!
Damn you, Skepsis. I have watched Super 5 times since last week. Way to ruin my life man!

Last set of honorable mentions... maybe. Might do one more.

Sin City
Frank Miller & Robert Rodriguez, 2005
Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen & Bruce Willis

"I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad."

High Fidelity
Stephen Frears, 2000
John Cusack, Iben Hjejle & Todd Louiso

"I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week
and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago."

Back to the Future Part II
Robert Zemeckis, 1989
Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd & Lea Thompson

"Marty, be careful around that Griff character.
He's got a few short circuits in his bionic implants."

Chicago
Rob Marshall, 2002
Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger & Richard Gere

"This trial... the whole world... it's all... show business."

Brief Encounter
David Lean, 1945
Celia Johnson, Trevor Howard & Stanley Holloway

"It's awfully easy to lie when you know that you're trusted implicitly.
So very easy, and so very degrading."

Absolutely. I've heard seeing Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen called the holy grail for film fans. I really hope I get the chance to one day.
I saw it in the cinema last year! It is an amazing experience to watch it on a cinema screen...almost religious. I guess epics are made for the big screen after all.