What movie turned you into a film buff?

Tools    

hitchcock for me........i read a huge biography on him when i was just a little kid. his movies and his style just thrilled me.

from there i discovered a passion for movies of the 30's and 40's. i would say i'm a classic's buff.

In the mid eighties I was just a young fella doing my paper run and stopped into a friends during it one arvo. There we watched 'ALIENS' and it changed everything for me. I'd previously had the crap scared outof me by a number of movies as a child (Jaws changed swimming forever etc) and never was a movie buff until that moment.
Later it was a steady diet of Arnie movies and sci-fi that continued my growth towards junkie-hood. Now, I'm a lost cause.
Proverbs 20:30

Gamma Rays.

Gamma rays turned me into a film buff, t'wern't a single movie or even group of movies at all. Unfortunately film buffing was the only superpower I received from this bombardment.

What a RIP-OFF! HOLDEN SMASH!!!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

gamma rays you say? you were one of those kids with their noses on the screen? well holden, if it would make me as smart as you i'd submit to an intensive gamma blast.

Well that would be the very first movie I ever seen. Thing is I don't remember the first movie I've ever seen.

i dont consider myself a film buff either. but when im around my friends, it seems like i know everything about film. Saving Private Ryan turned me to the film side of the world

I became a movie buff when I was about... 12 after I saw "The Mummy" (end of 1999). The thing that I liked most was the special effects and the story. From that day on, I've been watching movies with great special effects and stories. I'm a HUGE fan of horror, and science-fiction with drama movies.

To know more about me, go to: http://www.expage.com/ShuuichiKurama17

i remeber watching movies at a very young age, all kinds of movies. there was not any paticular movie i saw that really brought me into being a movie freak but there are a few i can think of. almost all of kubrick's films, a lot of movies from john carpenter, and a lot of really bad late 70's and early 80's campy movies like meatballs and things like that.

Originally posted by Kurama
I became a movie buff when I was about... 12 after I saw "The Mummy" (end of 1999).
Ok, it's cute and all, but can anyone who is only 14 years old really be a movie buff?

I've always just loved movies. I got to go to theaters maybe three or four times a year (and then the drive-in 'cause I was the youngest of nine and it was the only way to make everyone happy without exhausting my dad's bank account--I grew up on a farm, that explains a lot ) and I never, never, never got to see any "kid" movies. I was the lowest on the totem pole, and even when we got a VCR (after renting machines for over three years) I was stuck watching whatever my brothers and sisters wanted to watch. I didn't see a Disney movie until I was about 13, but I saw all kinds of R-rated movies before I was nine (Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Eddie Murphy Raw, etc., etc.). You get my drift.

It sounds horrible (and probably explains a lot about my psychological health ), but ever since then, I've always loved movies, all movies. Even Disney--I wound up watching most of their animated features during my teens. Most of my life I've watched just about anything I could get my hands on, no matter how old I happened to be at the time .

Mary Lo

Originally posted by Steve
Great choices, TWT.

My dad showed me Goodfellas when I was eleven years old, and since then I've been hooked.
I guess Scarface was out, huh?

anyone of any age can be a film buff as long as they know enough about film. If you watch alot of movies after your turn to the cinema side, you can become a film buff pretty quickly.

i've been a movie buff since i was like 11. The movie that really made me a film buff was probaly Jurassic Park. It's one of my all time fav movies along with Lord of the Rings.

Woody Allen Hannah and Her Sisters
I did not know what I was impressed with then, but it was the combination of comedy and dramatic tension the film created. .

hitchcock for me........i read a huge biography on him when i was just a little kid. his movies and his style just thrilled me.

from there i discovered a passion for movies of the 30's and 40's. i would say i'm a classic's buff.
Great question, but it's really difficult to say. Perhaps The Adventures of Baron Munchausen just for the impression it made at the time.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Suspiria completely opened my eyes as to what horror could be, and that definitely made me a huge horror fan. But, In the Mood For Love and Studio Ghibli made me a film buff in general I think!

- When did your serious interest for movies begin?

About three years ago now. I've posted about it on here before but I think I watched Reservoir Dogs because Michael Madsen was on Big Brother and my mum mentioned an infamous ear cutting scene. I was immediately interested and watched it and thought it was great. Then I watched Pulp Fiction and started watching more famous films like Taxi Driver and taking notice of the director. Then I started trying to write film reviews. I always loved the web as a platform, especially forums and blogs (which I used to use to discuss Football Manager) and I signed up here to advertise reviews, I soon discovered this place had everything I ever needed and I could post reviews and get discussion here. Since then my film taste has massively developed and I've seen hundreds of fascinating films and made many great friends.