Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Tools    

Okay, the first one has arrived and blown most of its fans away. So my mouth, for one, is watering at the thought of the second one. A lot of fans rank book 2 as their favourite (Mine's the third), so what can we expect to see in Chamber of Secrets?

They've already filmed the car scene which can be seen on the front cover of the book. That should be great fun to watch.

Dobby is introduced in this one if my memory serves me right. How will he be made? What do you think? A midget in a costume? No! A special effect like Lost in Space? If there is a god in heaven then NO!. I'd like to see it being a Jim Henson creature. Those are usually the best bet. An animatronic type thing. I see Dobby looking like the girl dinosaur in the Barney kids series. Not that I've ever watched the show. Oh dear, I've said too much.

Gilderoy Lockhart, my favourite Dark Arts Teacher is in this one. Oh how I wish Hugh Grant would have taken the part. He would have nailed it. As it happens Kenneth Branagh is a worthy substitute. Great character, Gilderoy, hope Branagh doesn't Wild Wild West us and overcamp it.

And the Weasleys have more of a part in this episode. Ginny is given her introduction in the books in part 2 though the movie introduced her in the first if you look real close. "Good Luck" I thought that was a nice touch from Colombus and crew.

I can't remember the plot too well but that's how I like it. It'll all come back to me when I'm watching it this time next year.

Forget LOTR bring on Harry Potter 2.

Of course I'm kidding! Leave me alone. Stop shouting at me!

isnt the 4th book like 1000 pages? what are they gonna do for that movie??
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Actually, it's around the 750 mark.

Columbus has expressed what he'd like to do here -- if he is still directing when it comes around to it -- and that would be to shoot two films, one to be released at Thanksgiving [which means nothing to me, Australian and all] and the second to be released come Christmas. I personally would love to see them tackle it in the old fasioned Lawrence of Arabia way and have two hour / two and a half hour films seperated by a fifteen minute interval. Screw the little kiddies -- the fourth book isn't for them anyway....

I too am looking forward to seeing how they handle the third book, which [out of the first three] is my favorite of the series. It should be good fun. I of course haven't seen the first one yet, what with it only having opened today, but I'm eagerly awaiting the weekend.

OT, just a bit, but does anyone know the release date for "Order of the Phoenix"??

What the heck is a chamber?

"Harry Potter and the small, dank cave-like room of hidden inneuendo" for you Americans....

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!

I realize that TWT is pushing me to read the books, and I really don't feel like reading them. The kids come in with the books and I look through them sometimes, but have no desire to start reading them. I feel though, if what they did in the first movie, as far as sets, characters and such can be carried over into the second, third, fourth, and fifth movies, well then I can take it, DISH IT OUT BABY!!!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Ah, chamber... got it.

The fourth book is certainly for kids. It's for everyone...I think Columubus' idea is fabulolus. Film four hours, chop it in half, and release them a month apart. I'd go watch the first one when it came out, and then, when the second one had been released, I'd try to find a way to see the first one again, followed by the second one shortly after, if it's at all possible. I wonder if anyone's ever released two like that, back to back, in wide release. I've never heard of it before...but I like the idea.

Just got done re-reading some of the books, BTW. I didn't want to re-read the first one after seeing it represented by the movie twice already -- but I re-read the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ones. Finished the 4th one last night. #3 is still my favorite.

Yes, Dobby shows up in #2. CGI is the only way to go, man. Everything else will look second-rate when you consider the fact that Dobby needs to do a bit of jumping around and such. I just hope they get the voice right.

Yep, I think Branagh is fabulous. Hugh Grant seems a bit better, but I'd be lying if I said I thought Branagh was really anything than the TINIEST step down. I think he'll look less the part (slightly), but I think he'll more accurately portray the character. He could pull it off...just needs to shave that beard and practice his smile. I happened to think he was one of the few bright spots in "Wild Wild West," though.

And I agree: it was nice to see a little bit of Ginny there. I'm just glad that we'll see The Burrow, and more of the Weasley twins! They're hilarious...they were spot-on in the first movie, but we didn't see enough of them.

BTW: they started work on the set for The Burrow some time ago, so it may be done now. Tom Felton (who plays Malfoy) said that they've already filmed a Quidditch scene in which Malfoy falls of his broom. I'm sure it's just blue-screen work at this point, though. I'm just glad that it's underway.

Wait, so Branagh is playing Lockhart? Dammit! I was hoping they would get Hugh Grant.

I'll tell you who would make a brilliant Sirius when that one comes around: Johnny Depp. He would be wonderful.

One problem I have with casting Alan Rickman as Snape, is he's too old. Snape should be the same age as Harry's father, who, twelve years after Harry's birth, should be early 30's. Rickman looks like he's pushing 50. Minor complaint, of course, since I thought Rickman was fine in the movie.

Rickman looks 36-38 to me. Maybe I'm nuts, though. I don't like the idea of Depp...too young looking, even if his actual age is mid-thirties (which I think is what they ought to be going for). They REALLY need to get someone good for Lupin and Sirius, though. Maybe Grant could play Lupin...he's have to make an effort to act though, though.

Quite frankly, Branagh would make a brilliant Lupin. Kind looking, but a bit gruff. He'll make a fine Lockhart, though...but I'd rather see him as Lupin, simply because if he plays Lockhart, we won't see much of him (I doubt Lockhart will show up much later in the series). And yeah, Steve, it's all confirmed. Grant had some other commitment, apparently.

Johnny Depp? Hmmm... interesting. He nailed the British accent in Sleepy Hollow so that's not a problem but Sirius is a moody, sulking character. Do you think this would fit with Depp who usually plays flamboyant weirdos? He always has to bring a bit of eccentricity to a role and this could disrupt Sirius. I also don't see him as being an easy guy to return for successive sequels.

My choice would be Christopher Eccleston - seen this summer in The Others. He played Kidman's husband. That guy just says Sirius Black to me. He has that intensity level that's required. He's not too big a name in Britain and the States so he would be more of a surprise to the audiences when we found out what occurs in book 3.

For those who have read the 4 books do you find the conclusions though exciting, to be excessively wordy. Both 3 & 4 end with chapter length explanations on who did what, what side this character was on and so on. It's not very cinematic. I thought the movie, even got a bit too chatty in the final battle. If they are going to change the books at all I suggest they tinker with the books' conclusions a bit.

Yes, no doubt. The subsequent movies will need to cut down on the "Here's how I did it all" speeches. I think you're right on Sirius: I remember that dude, and I think he'd do well. Unlikely he'll be cast, though. Overall, I just hope we don't see anyone REALLY famous...I think that would ruin it. Hugh Grant is close to really famous, IMO.

B&W
I think Columubus' idea is fabulolus. Film four hours, chop it in half, and release them a month apart. I'd go watch the first one when it came out, and then, when the second one had been released, I'd try to find a way to see the first one again, followed by the second one shortly after, if it's at all possible. I wonder if anyone's ever released two like that, back to back, in wide release. I've never heard of it before...but I like the idea.
U know how all 3 of the Lord of the Rings movies are pretty much completed?

this is because the original idea was to release the movies one 2 two weeks after eachother.
it would have been a ball for the lotr fans
but for others who arn't familiar with the stories it is probably better releasing them this way; one year after eachother

Peace,

P.S. Mock me if u want, but how do u get that 'so-and-so said this' thingy at the top of quotes?

Why does everyone complain about Branagh? Why does everyone say I wish it was Grant?

You're going on rumours. "I wish they could have been able to get Hugh Grant." They never even WENT for Hugh Grant. The HP people never spoke to the HG people. Believe me, if they thought Grant was best suited to the role, they would have got and gotten him. They've obviously chosen Branagh for a reason.

I think he'll be doing his "Benedick" sort of whimsical charm that we saw in "Much ado about nothing" personally.

Grant would've been better, I tells ya...Branagh is the only actor I know of who I'd be comfortable with as Remus Lupin. He'd make a GREAT Lupin...and Lupin is a very important character. One we have to sympathize with and understand...aside from Sirius Black, he may be the most important secondary character in the first four books...in the best of the four (book #3), to boot!

I don't think we'll see much of Benedick in Lockhart, though...Lockhart isn't witty, he's just self-centered. I dunno. I guess we'll see...I think Branagh's a nice choice, for sure, I'm just bummed that he will obviously not be taking on any other roles in the series as a result...because I imagine that, in addition to Lupin, other characters will come along that would suit him well, while I don't think Lockhart will rear his head again.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Originally posted by TWTCommish
Update: we've got our first official still from the flick. Here ya' go:
wow i see so much has changed for this second installment. wonder what other surprised this film will hold.

What sort of attitude is that, man?!

It's a whole different story! You've got flashbacks, Hagrid as a student, the chamber of secrets, the serpent, and a whole lot of other suprising little tidbits for those who have not read the books, a few of which are very important to the rest of the series -- you realise that it's not just a sequel? The books actually expand on the original, you know?

....!