Greatest Dialogue Exchanges Ever

Tools    

Every conversation Author had with his Butler

Employee of the Month
From the movie Mr.3000 -

the out-of-the-bar-conversation between Bernie Mac and Angela Bassett. It profits a lot from the actor`s chemistry, but even on paper, it`s still one of the most fastpaced and authentic dialogues, I´ve ever read. And it contains lot of informations about the relationship of the protagonists. It goes like this:

Stan Ross: Wait a minute. Wait, wait, wait. You don't train no more.
You don't drink no more. What's up with that? 'Cause I remember you used to drink half the American League underneath the table.

Maureen Simmons: I realized I had to start cuttin' loose from those things that weren't getting me anywhere.

SR - Where you need to be gettin'?

MS - On with my life. We don't stay young forever, Stan.

SR- Come on. You know we're young enough.

MS- Ooh, I don't think so, Mr. Ross!

SR- Come on, I know you remember what it was like!
You can't say we didn't have something special.

MS- Good night.

SR- What about Kansas City? That was a mind-blowing weekend.
You mean to tell me you forgot about that?

MS -Bye-bye.

SR- Cleveland, when I had your toenails poppin' off like Redenbacher!

MS- Bye.

SR- Come on, how about Toronto?

(beat)

SR- God!

MS- Uh-huh. Come on, say it!

SR- Come on, now. You know I didn't expect you
in Toronto! You know how those Canadian groupies are!

MS- You know what? Don't give me that crap! You're a selfish man.
You always were.

SR- Okay, if you so upset, why was you willing to get back with me every now and then?

MS: We got together for a night, but I didn't stay for breakfast, now, did I?

SR- We'd still be doin' it if you didn't take that ESPN gig!

MS- Well, when there's a better offer on the table, you gotta take it!

SR- I'll pay for it.

MS- Bye-bye.

At the risk of sounding like "one of those people", the older movies generally have much much better dialogue.

I enjoy alot of today's more off the cuff, in your face wit, but there's something about watching some of the great classics that's so much more satisfying.
Walter Matthou, Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis, Catherine Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Sidney Portier...they're all so great.

Tim Curry is also one that I would put at the top of that list, I think he's woefully underappreciated. His entire performance in Clue was so spot on perfect that I could watch it over and over!

Vince Vaughn is also one of those actors who can really get some banter going, providing he has a co-star who can keep up!

Any dialogue involving Sgt Gunnery Hartman in Full Metal Jacket!

Hartman: Do you think I'm cute, Private Pyle? Do you think I'm funny?
Pyle: Sir, no, sir!
Hartman: Then wipe that disgusting grin off your face.
Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.
[tries to stop smiling]
Hartman: Well, any ****ing time, sweetheart!
Pyle: Sir, I'm trying, sir.
Hartman: Private Pyle I'm gonna give you three seconds; exactly three-****ing-seconds to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-**** you! ONE! TWO! THREE!

secrets and lies
paris, texas
the breakfast club
annie hall & manhattan
damage (miranda richardson ending scene)
84 charing cross rd
guess who's coming to dinner
night, mother
good will hunting
medicine for melancholy

http://hiddenmovieblog.blogspot.com

Bennie: You're gonna take me to find Alfredo.
And that's our ticket outta here.

Elita: Jesus, I don't know how you
can get money from a dead body,
I mean, I don't believe those
people and what they say.

Bennie: I take 'em proof. His head.

Elita: His... head?!

Bennie: For proof!

Elita: But it's a crime, Benny...you're mad!

Bennie: He's dead! Shut up!

Elita: Well, you want me to desecrate a grave?!

Bennie: Don't give me that crap!
There's nothing sacred
about a hole in the ground...
or a man that's in it... or you, or me.
Listen, the church
cuts off the feet, fingers,
any other ********* thing
from the saints, don't they?
Well, what the hell, Alfredo's our saint.
He's a saint of our money.
And I'm gonna borrow a piece of him.

- Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia

From Fight Club:

Edward Nortens Character:
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
OMG--All About Eve no doubt! Addison Vs Eve is brutal!

Addison DeWitt: What do you take me for?
Eve Harrington: I don't know that I'd take you for anything.
Addison DeWitt: Is it possible, even conceivable, that you've confused me with that gang of backward children you play tricks on, that you have the same contempt for me as you have for them?
Eve Harrington: I'm sure you mean something by that, Addison, but I don't know what?
Addison DeWitt: Look closely, Eve. It's time you did. I am Addison DeWitt. I am nobody's fool, least of all yours.
Eve Harrington: I never intended you to be.
Addison DeWitt: Yes you did, and you still do.
Eve Harrington: I still don't know what you're getting at, but right now I want to take my nap. It's important -
Addison DeWitt: It's important right now that we talk, killer to killer.
Eve Harrington: Champion to champion.
Addison DeWitt: Not with me, you're no champion. You're stepping way up in class.
Eve Harrington: Addison, will you please say what you have to say, plainly and distinctly, and then get out, so I can take my nap?
Addison DeWitt: Very well - plainly and distinctly - though I consider it unnecessary because you know as well as I do what I'm going to say: Lloyd may leave Karen, but he will not leave Karen for you.
Eve Harrington: What do you mean by that?
Addison DeWitt: More plainly and more distinctly: I have not come to New Haven to see the play, discuss your dreams, or pull the ivy from the walls of Yale. I have come here to tell you that you will not marry Lloyd, or anyone else for that matter, because I will not permit it.
Eve Harrington: What have you got to do with it?
Addison DeWitt: Everything, because after tonight, you will belong to me.
Eve Harrington: Belong? To you? I can't believe my ears!
Addison DeWitt: What a dull cliché.
Eve Harrington: Belong to you - why, that sounds medieval, something out of an old melodrama!
Addison DeWitt: So does the history of the world for the past twenty years. I don't enjoy putting it as bluntly as this. Frankly, I'd hoped that somehow you would have known, that you would have taken it for granted that you and I -
Eve Harrington: Taken it for granted that you and I...
[laughs]
Addison DeWitt: [slaps her] Now, remember, as long as you live, never to laugh at me - at anything or anyone else, but never at me.
Eve Harrington: [walks to the door and opens it] Get out!
Addison DeWitt: You're too short for that gesture. Besides, it went out with Mrs. Fiske.

From Cry Freedom...

Judge: Why do you people call yourselves black? You look more brown than black.
Steve Biko: Why do you call yourselves white? You look more pink than white.

Cool thread btw

Another (IMO) great Dialogue exchange...

From Goodfellas...

Henry Hill: You're a pistol, you're really funny. You're really funny.
Tommy DeVito: What do you mean I'm funny?
Henry Hill: It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy.
[laughs]
Tommy DeVito: What do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?
Henry Hill: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you tell the story and everything.
Tommy DeVito: [it becomes quiet] Funny how? What's funny about it?
Anthony Stabile: Tommy no, You got it all wrong.
Tommy DeVito: Oh, oh, Anthony. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?
Henry Hill: Jus...
Tommy DeVito: What?
Henry Hill: Just... ya know... you're funny.
Tommy DeVito: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
Henry Hill: Just... you know, how you tell the story, what?
Tommy DeVito: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the **** am I funny, what the **** is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!
Henry Hill: [long pause] Get the **** out of here, Tommy!
Tommy DeVito: [everyone laughs] Ya mother****er! I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. Frankie, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, Henry. You may fold under questioning.

Very interesting topic for a thread. I liked the dialogs. It will be best if all videos of dialogs present here.

anything joker said from dark knight.

carradine from kill bill.

+1 trainspotting
+1 fightclub.
+1 kisskiss bang

ran - between right hand man, king about the lady tsunade (i think that was her name)

I'm gonna go with: virtually every dialog in Casablanca.

Employee of the Month
From the chill-out-movie Big Bounce, written by the dialogue-master of all classes, Elmore Leonard.

Jack: Hey, man.

Walter: Jack. Was that you giggling?

Jack: No. Must have been Number 9.

Walter: What are you doing sneaking around here?

Jack: I'm not sneaking around. I was just thinking.
Sometimes when I'm thinking, it looks like I'm sneaking.

Walter: So, what are you thinking about?

Jack: Oh, I don't want to bug you!

Walter: Jack...you gotta have a little faith!

Jack: What, like in God?

Walter: No, God's an imaginary friend for grownups. Trick is to know
who to have faith in. I'm gonna give you a hint: Sometimes
things are exactly as they appear. Sometimes.

Jack: What the heck does that mean?

Another funny thing about this: Walter is played by Morgan Freeman.

Female Jungle Poster
The quick-witted verbal volleys in The Princess Bride. I particularly enjoy the poison contest between Vizzini and Westley. Plus, Andre the Giant's lines were priceless:

Inigo: Fezzik, are there any rocks ahead?

Fezzik: If there are, we'll all be dead.

Vizzini: No more rhymes now, I mean it!

Fezzik: Anybody want a peanut?

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

The dialogue between Robbie and his big brother attempt at cyber sex from You and Me and Everyone We Know, Priceless and so adorable