Fight Club is Gay?

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by sadesdrk
are you telling me that every post on this particular thread, if it mentions anything about the ending, should use spoiler tags?
I know, oh wait...I was being sarcastic.

Sullivan, I wasn't serious.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Sullivan
Ok. Thanks for the heads-up, spud, I'll make sure I use a smiley to denote sarcasm in the future.

Originally posted by sadesdrk

LOL!
I was wondering if anyone was going to pick that up...LOL. Ha!

B&W
I'm pretty darn sure the writer never even tried to imply anything like that.

Peace,

Reviving the dead...

DUN DUN DUN!!

Look, I thought it was a film that looked at materialism and the breaking of social norms more than it did homosexuality. There were a few moments, sure, when I thought of homosexuality, but even then I quickly dismissed it. They were like brothers more than lovers. Imagine your best friend is your brother and he gets a girlfriend. You're going to feel as though you're being left out of his life, slowly. Then he finds more friends and suddenly doesn't have the time of day for you, and doesn't tell you about his works and stuff, especially when you feel its part yours. It's not jelously in the respect that you want to have sex with him, it's just a lack of attention that you once had. That ***** hurts, no?

Me? I am Jack's Logical Sense of Reason.

Meanwhile, I was such a snobbish jerk when I first joined here.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet

Meanwhile, I was such a snobbish jerk when I first joined here.
Hey, me too.

Oh wait. I still am.

by sades
I was wondering if anyone was going to pick that up...LOL. Ha!
Yeah. Took me a while but I got it.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Look, I thought it was a film that looked at materialism and the breaking of social norms more than it did homosexuality.
I don't think it has much to do with materialism - I think it's more about slavery, and how the weak follow the strong-willed. I don't think it's much about homosexuality either, but the undertones are there.

good job reviving this thread. i liked this one.

Agreed. More simply put though, It's a movie about a man who creates an attractive/rebelious/bizzare alter ego to make up for his insecurities. It doesn't mean he's gay. They simply filmed it in such a way, that it has some more than detectable homo-erotic undertones.

Yeah, but that's because alternate / questionable / indecipherable sexualities were the "in" thing to do in Hollywood at the time.

crazed out movie freak
you guys read way to much into these movies man.

who ever post this thred is a f**k**g p**f. Fight Club was a mad movie is kick some serious bottom

I personally thought fight club was poor, didnt live up to the expectations given to me by my friends, the plot, the characters, the suposed twist were all bland and c r @ p. I give fight club three out of ten. Im glad i didnt pay money to see the film.

WARNING: "Fight Club" spoilers below
The suposed 'twist where Brad Pitt is just an imaginatary figure although was minorly suprising still didnt life the movie to the levels i had been expecting

Originally Posted By The Silver Bullet
Look, I thought it was a film that looked at materialism and the breaking of social norms more than it did homosexuality. There were a few moments, sure, when I thought of homosexuality, but even then I quickly dismissed it. They were like brothers more than lovers.

I heard that the original script called for Pitt and Norton to kiss at the end while Marla's character ends up dead, but that Pitt refused because he thought his wife j.anisten would get jeolous.

Guys, guys! One word to solve all of our problems: Timeshare!

history *is* moralizing
there's a book too!!!!!!!!, and who finds homosexuality there....., i dunno!... would find it in any playground, any movie, any dish, just like Freud saw cocks everywhere.
i know i know, a movie should be enough in itself, without having to read a book... but hei! if one form of art leads to another... isn't it rather an advantage?

Though we can argue all we want about whether or not Tyler & the narrator are gay, there's no doubt about there are homosexual elements present in Fight Club. After all, the book itself was written by Chuck Palahniuk, an openly gay man whose other books, besides Fight Club, often feature elements of repressed homosexuality and reference his struggles to regain his masculinity. Consider the context in which Fight Club was written: Palahniuk in the early 90's worked as an auto mechanic, a position which would be very much considered both masculine and blue collar. During this time (maybe 1994-ish), Palahniuk met his now long-time male partner, and the two begin dating. Now, Palahniuk has said in lectures and interviews that he began writing Fight Club during this time. He's mentioned that he was often mocked for trying to become a writer by his fellow mechanics, perhaps more so because of his sexuality, if his coworkers considered writing to be a less masculine activity than being a mechanic. In this male-dominant environment, he very well might have tried to keep his sexuality and his budding relationship on the down-low, perhaps even keeping it a secret entirely. Now look at Fight Club. Fight Club centers around blue collar employees who enter a group of men who anonymously wrestle with one another at night, but aren't allowed to talk about it the next day. Sound a little familiar? Given the context of Palahniuk's life, Fight Club very easily translates into an allegory for gay sex. Now look at the sign of Project Mayhem, an acid kiss given by another man. Though as the writing of Fight Club progressed, it took on more of a political feel, but perhaps the original manuscripts were less so. After all, Chuck Palahniuk's very first novel, Invisible Monsters, was rejected by publishers because it wasn't marketable enough. Funny, because Invisible Monsters was a story about transgender women, and one of the main characters was a gay boy named Shane McFarland who hated himself for his sexuality. Plus, Fight Club itself was written by Palahniuk as a "solution" to Invisible Monsters. He has stated again and again that he set out to write something that the publishers would hate even more than they hated Monsters, hence the darker tone and the anti-capitalist sentiments expressed throughout the book. Starting to make sense? Maybe Fight Club wasn't meant to be about homosexuality at all, but there's no question that struggles with homosexuality were very prevalent in Palahniuk's life, and it would be foolish to try to analyze his work without understanding that. Not to mention, it makes that scene about "Maybe another woman isn't what we need," make much more sense. Palahniuk, too, was a man raised by his mother after his parent's divorce and his father's (later) murder, and if his father ever pushed him to marry a woman as Tyler's father did in the book/movie, it makes sense that Palahniuk would write these characters and have them interact with one another in the way that they did, and any sort of homoerotic subtext seems much less far-fetched. Anyways, that's just my input and a little insight into the context of the writing of Fight Club. Hope it helps.

I respectfully request that the title of this "thread" be changed to something much less hateful. Thank you.

Edward Norton = God .period

and what the hell is this logic ? You love Fight Club so you're automatically macho ? this movie is brilliant with so many awesome details and the ending is astounding.