Fight Club is Gay?

Tools    

Loved Chasing Amy, why?

I thought Jason Lee's performance as Banky was spot on. But I don't think he was gay, so much as confused about his sexuality. Banky really didn't want to lose his best friend to this girl and was ready to go to the extreme to do so - sleep with Ben Affleck. Men can love each other without it being gay.

But in the case of Fight Club it is totally a homosexual relationship between the Narrator and Tyler Durden. This post is perfect in that it proves that macho guys everywhere refuse to acknowledge this when it's plainly there. The club in the movie is set up to allow men to devolve back to their primitive male selves. What's ironic is that the club is set up by a homophobic closet homosexual who's desperate to prove his manhood. Why do men have to prove that we're so masculine. One peek at that thing under your belly-button should suffice.

And by the way I was the guy who started the "Tom Cruise is gay" thread.

I'll wait another few weeks before I discuss the sexuality of Rock Hudson and the chemistry of the two leads in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles".

What's wrong with you people? The homosexual undertones in Fight Club are as plain as day! And what does it matter if stars are gay? Rupert Everett is AWESOME!

Guy
Originally posted by bigvalbowski
Loved Chasing Amy, why?

I thought Jason Lee's performance as Banky was spot on. But I don't think he was gay, so much as confused about his sexuality. Banky really didn't want to lose his best friend to this girl and was ready to go to the extreme to do so - sleep with Ben Affleck. Men can love each other without it being gay.
Just bustin' your chops. I agree with your points on Chasing Amy.

If you also note their dialogue and some scenes it's obvious that it's more than a friendship. For instance, Tyler is bathing in the same room as Norton, they talk and act like they've been best friends for years but have only met recently, the more I think of it the more I believe it.

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
Loved Chasing Amy, why?

But in the case of Fight Club it is totally a homosexual relationship between the Narrator and Tyler Durden. This post is perfect in that it proves that macho guys everywhere refuse to acknowledge this when it's plainly there. The club in the movie is set up to allow men to devolve back to their primitive male selves. What's ironic is that the club is set up by a homophobic closet homosexual who's desperate to prove his manhood. Why do men have to prove that we're so masculine. One peek at that thing under your belly-button should suffice.

And by the way I was the guy who started the "Tom Cruise is gay" thread.

I'll wait another few weeks before I discuss the sexuality of Rock Hudson and the chemistry of the two leads in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles".

It's quite plainly in your imagination and your posts continue imagining facts that are not there. You say Pitt and Norton are lovers yet at no point in the film do they engage themselves sexually. Quite to the contrary, Pitt's character has hetero sex in the film. You say they have a homosexual relationship but yet again you can't point to any part of the film where they engage themselves sexually or even engage romantically.

You continue to ignore the fact that Norton and Tyler Durden are the same person. Durden is a figment of Norton's imagination created to balance his weaknesses and fears. A split personality if you will. It's not something created to embrace or find his homosexuality. The Norton character quite obviously has much bigger problems in his life than his sexual identity. You casually forget that Norton goes to MANY different help groups in search of answers, just as the female character does. After all Meat Loaf was there before Norton so doesn't that make him even more gay than Norton or something? The men in the Club aren't proving they are masculine but rather embracing the very masculinity and primitive nature of self that societal conformity forces them to bury.

I await the thesis on why Tom Cruise's performance in the macho film Top Gun proves he must be gay. I mean he and his friend Goose were shirtless quite a few times in that film eh?

OKAY PEOPLE!!! CALM!!

From the viewpoint of an Indie:
You can interpret a film in anyway, that is the diagetic nature of the medium, and why it is so beloved. There are many sub-texts to every film, sub-texts to the characters, metophorical, narratial and symbolic discourses that only some people can consciencely pick up. I for one have not seen 'Fight Club' and so I can tell you my own interpretation of the sub-text and dicourses in the film. But you can't just say to someone "no 'Fight Club' is not about gays and fear of sexuality and homophobia". Why isn't it? Because YOU didn't pick it up? It wasn't in YOUR interpretation? Film is about making us feel different things. If someone feels their were homosexual undertones, that is their own interpretation of the medium, the story, the characters. We are all different. There is no right, and there is no wrong. That is the nature of film.

It's like me coming in and saying, well it's obvious the drug references in Disney's "The Three Callaberos" and "Alice in Wonderland". It was all about speed. And while we're at it, the Donkey Kong video game series is all about homosexual pedophilia." That's what I picked up from seeing these films and playing that game. You can not say that I am wrong, you are not inside my head and you did not have the same stimuli reactions to what happens in the films, and in the game, as I. No one has exactly the same reaction to a film, sure some are similar, but no one sees it exactly the same way.

So please. Go as far as to say, "I say things differently to you." But don't, for heaven's sake, say "You're wrong."

Now With Moveable Parts
Wow.You haven't seen Fight Club and you've read this thread? SilverBullet,that sucks...the movie is OVER for you,might as well not see it now.

No, no, no.
I'll watch it without any predujiced or biased, I won't have an eye out for homosexuality. I'll watch it as I would any film. I'll watch in on my own terms, and use my own judgment on what I think of it and it's sub-themes afterwards. None of this will have any impact.

I'm just trying to help you all realise that there is never one way to view a film, no one here is "wrong". That's all.

Uh, some of us are much definitely wrong! The author either meant for this underlying theme to be present, or not, basically. Or, it was something he subconciously put in there...or not. We may never know, but people are most definitely wrong here...we just don't know who.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
No, no, no.
I'll watch it without any predujiced or biased, I won't have an eye out for homosexuality. I'll watch it as I would any film. I'll watch in on my own terms, and use my own judgment on what I think of it and it's sub-themes afterwards. None of this will have any impact.

I'm just trying to help you all realise that there is never one way to view a film, no one here is "wrong". That's all.
That's not what I meant...I meant the ending.The plot surprise....it's ruined for you.

Now With Moveable Parts
yes it so is a biggie.There is no way you would know that if you were watching it fresh...man,if spud were here,he'd back me up.

But it won't bother me. I don't know about you, but I can truly watch a film clean slate. With nothing playing on my mind. Remember, as a filmmaker I am in it just as much for the structure of the script, the construction of the shots, the motifs, the discourse, the FILM, than the twist. And it'll still get me, because I get engrossed in these things.

By the way, you post a lot.

How can you not be bothered by having a flick's big surprise ruined for you? That always ticks me off. I want to be shocked. Sure, I enjoy it anyway (The Usual Suspects was awesome despite the fact that I already knew how it was going to end, for the most part, at least)...but it's surely tainted.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
But it won't bother me. I don't know about you, but I can truly watch a film clean slate. With nothing playing on my mind. Remember, as a filmmaker I am in it just as much for the structure of the script, the construction of the shots, the motifs, the discourse, the FILM, than the twist. And it'll still get me, because I get engrossed in these things.

By the way, you post a lot.
I know I post a lot dahling...I'm addicted,it's the nature of the beast.Can't help it...MoFo screams through my viens;feed the need. Just wait...perhaps you will fall victim to it as well...that's awesome that you can watch movies that that kind of intensity...I'm envious.

Everytime one of these discussions about interpretation comes up, I automatically think of "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield. There's a part where Dangerfield's character is told by his English teacher that he obviously didn't write his paper and whoever did obviously doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut's work. Then they cut right to Dangerfield on the phone with Vonnegut telling him he's not paying for the report he wrote.

Now With Moveable Parts
LOL...that's a great analogy ryanpaige.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
GUYS GUYS!!!

Let this thing go. It's not that big of a deal to drag this thing on.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
you're just sore because they are trashing the image of one of your favorite movies...I understand*pats back* I don't think they are right anyhoo.

Fight Club definitely had homoerotic undertones, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was "gay", or even that certain characters in the movie were gay.

Now With Moveable Parts
Thanks Art...that made the most sense in this whole thread.