Shorts

Tools    

Here in the UK we're renowed for showing quality shorts. Channel 4 usually show some throughout the week. But I do think that the internet is the best place if you want to check out some upcoming talent.

I've got TWO favourite shorts.

This one is a gem and the work of certain auteur. Watch it and guess. I'll see this though, it's surprisingly very Lynchian given what this filmmaker went on to do...but this filmmaker's authorship is still stamped all over this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0l7o9WtCVoY

A system of cells interlinked
I have always liked this animated short:

I have always liked this animated short:

It says the video is no longer available, mate.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
For the Birds is great stuff, but for my personal fave:

Pixar's For the Birds
&feature=related

A-freakin'-dorable...

I love this.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Some of this may be a slight rehash, but I've been watching Pixar's shorts lately, so I'm going to post a little bit about each one in the hopes that it will generate more discussion. The films in the next two posts run between ONE and SEVEN minutes each.

The Adventures of André and Wally B. (Alvy Ray Smith, 1984)

Chief designer/animator John Lasseter created this film, which showcased many computer graphic techniques for the first time, to entertain his children, but instead, it scared them.

Luxo Jr. (John Lasseter, 1986)

This is the first computer animated film nominated for an Oscar. The difference between this and the above is quite striking.

Red's Dream (John Lasseter, 1987)

This is even more sophisticated, especially in its us of lighting and color. The clock on the wall near the Sale sign seems to have an image of André from the first film.

Tin Toy (John Lasseter, 1988)

This is the first all-CGI film to win an Oscar. It's also an obvious precursor to Toy Story.

Knick Knack (John Lasseter, 1989)

This is the original version:
&feature=related

Here is the one which played in theatres with Finding Nemo:
&feature=related

Any thoughts on the changes?

Geri's Game (Jan Pinkava, 1997)
-

I'm not sure what to say about this Oscar winner, except it made an impression on me in 1997.

For the Birds (Ralph Eggleston, 2000)
-

Another Oscar for a film which builds to a wonderful conclusion (enormous laughter in the theatre). Big Bird lands on his head, so you know that won't hurt him.

To be continued...

OK, now that that's over, I see no reason to not finish up. Continuing on in chronological order, we have the remainder (and yes, I'm including ones which are DVD-only).

Mike's New Car (Pete Docter & Roger Gould, 2002)
+

This one seems much funnier than I recalled before. Even though it was first released on a DVD, it was still nominated for an Oscar.

Boundin' (Bud Luckey & Roger Gould, 2004)

This is the first Pixar short with a song, and it's used as narration.

Jack-Jack Attack (Brad Bird, 2005)

I totally love this film, but those who know me won't be surprised.

One Man Band (Mark Andrews & Andrew Jimenez, 2006)

I hadn't seen this one before yesterday. Remember how "Tin Toy" was a "one man band"? Cute film.

Mater and the Ghostlight (John Lasseter & Dan Scanlon, 2006)
-

Except for the first, experimental film, this is probably my least favorite, but the ending (after the end credits) caused me to raise the rating.

Lifted (Gary Rydstrom, 2007)

Sure, even aliens need to practice to become perfect.

Presto (Doug Sweetland, 2007)
+

This is probably my favorite of all the shorts I've posted here. Highly inventive and hilarious.

BURN-E (Angus MacLane, 2008)
+

I'm still not sure what to think of this one. The parts with BURN-E are fun, but it seems to try to be a mini-version of WALL-E by trying to add in too much.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have never really watched many short films, because I never much like short stories and thought it would be the same with films. However, someone elsewhere on the net recommended this film to me and I quite liked it. It's called Sweet, made in 2000, starring Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt (from the Mighty Boosh), about a Camden stallholder with an imaginary girlfriend...(not work safe)

I love shorts:

My fav: http://www.negrospaceprogram.com/

I've always been a fan of the majority of Pixar shorts, and my favourite of the excellent Wallace & Grommit shorts has to be The Wrong Trousers (5/5). One night really late (or early) I stumbled across a great short film called Return to Glennascaul, narrated by Orson Welles. What initially drew me to it was the title on the TV program listing channel, it was titled Orson Welles' Ghost Story.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You ready? You look ready.
Mark, I'm surprised that you didn't find at least one of the Pixar films to be of 5 star quality. Any reason why?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I almost forgot about the BMW short films starring Clive Owen as The Driver, and directed by some of the best directors the world has to offer.

Mark, I'm surprised that you didn't find at least one of the Pixar films to be of 5 star quality. Any reason why?
I rarely give a film
. In fact, I think I've only given one film 5/5 in the last 25 years. I think the sum total of my 4.5-5 movies adds up to around 30. My
is close to most everybody else's
. I grew up with a 4-star system, so only my crème de la crème get higher.