Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
Interstellar (2014)

Ok, Nolan got me... Simply one the best sci-fi since 2001: A Space Odissey!
The only thing I didn't like about this one was Hathaway, still this is a solid:

10/10
can i ask why you like it so much?

i do see similarities between it and 2001 though, both are thoughtful, time consuming and time focused stories of human endeavour with a very cold, detached look at the consequences. it felt odd to me.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

The Invasion (2007) by Oliver Hirschbiegel
-

As far as remakes of Invasion of the Body Snatchers go, I've always been fond of this one. The gender swap between the original two leads pleases me, making Kidman Dr. Bennel and Daniel Craig into the love interest, Driscoll, is a nice modern twist to the tale. Great suspense, good acting, and the Russian diplomat that shoves the theme of the movie down your throat in an early scene is quite convincing. Also the snatchers are pretty darn creepy. I don't know why imdb is so harsh on this flick.

Species (1995)

H.R. Giger's design work looks great, even if the film is basically a model who can't act getting her boobs out every two minutes. A silly 90 minuite sci-fi boob-fest with a suprisingly good cast.

You mean boobs aren't considered acting? No wonder Pam Anderson never won an Oscar for Barbed Wire.

Paprika (2006)

A film full of endless imaginative ideas, concepts, visual constructions and weirdly captivating unlinear storytelling. I was hooked almost all the way through, but I did think it messed up a bit in the end. The film sort of ended at one point (almost quite litterally actually) but then they were like "hey, we are still missing this storyline over here!" and it went on. I think they should've focused more on one of them or made a seamlessly two-part conclusion. I knew it was kind of important to conclude that side of the story as well, but they could've use less time and left it more open to its audience. Still one hell of a fascinating mindtrip with an overload of ideas where "too much" is just right - except for maybe the end as mentioned. Great anime overall!

Rocky (1976)

Think I saw it as a kid but don't remember much. But great satisfying movie to watch and I really enjoyed it. Should it have won the Best Picture Oscar? Probably not. Do I care? Not really. But I still wonder why this gets so much love, though I'm totally fine with it. It's just when you think about it the story is quite simple and the execution really good but not amazing. It's a bit thin but I enjoyed it for what it was most defiantly!

Plenty creepy and an interesting watch. For my tastes I would have preferred a little deeper look into the psychology of Mark.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
How would you show more psychology? We've seen how he got to be the way he is, what he's trying to do and even why things have to be resolved the way they are.

How would you show more psychology? We've seen how he got to be the way he is, what he's trying to do and even why things have to be resolved the way they are.
I guess my big question is, "why is Helen different"? Mark is a quiet guy, but seems to have no trouble getting people to like him. Right form the beginning he seems to treat her different than everyone else, and that made little sense to me.

Watership Down (1978)

I wished that I loved this one because it suits my animation taste well-a darker tone and starring animals. I really liked it but it wasn't as upsetting as I was hoping.

The Collector 2009 - 6/10

Decent slasher flick with a cool villain (he's basically a combination of brains and brawn). Lead actor wasn't very passionate though, and it had some silly moments (ex. the hero had a gun at one point of the film, and was within a few feet out of sight of the killer several times, and didn't just shoot him).

It also never really explained the killer's MO - why did he keep some people alive and drag them around with him in a big box - then later decide to just kill them anyway on a whim?

The Collection - 3/10

This one was pretty bad. First it was way more-over-the top (apparently the killer somehow sets up elaborate booby traps in a nightclub without anyone knowing about it, and kills over 50 people all at once).

Not to mention they make the MO of the killer even more confusing. In the first film he'd kidnap a few people and slowly torture them. Now all of a sudden he's just a mass murderer - they still never explain why he keeps certain victims in the box - and then they throw in a bunch of other nonsense like his "army of junkie zombies", and weird human experiments. It seems like they just took a bunch of horror villain cliches and rolled it all up into one guy, and didn't really know what they were trying to do.

Also it's implied in the final scene that the killer is finally murdered - but in the scene just prior to that he gets doused in gasoline, set on fire, and somehow just manages to get up and walk away. If they were going to kill him off anyway, he should have just died in the fire so it would be remotely believable.

I guess my big question is, "why is Helen different"? Mark is a quiet guy, but seems to have no trouble getting people to like him. Right form the beginning he seems to treat her different than everyone else, and that made little sense to me.
Well, for one thing, Helen is very different from all the other women in the movie. Plus she and Mark share similar personalities. He's still tempted to kill her when she's alone in his cinema for the first time, but serial killers don't generally like killing in their own home. It's like sh!tting where you eat. And once he shows her the footage of him as a kid, a bond is established. It's like anytime you share a deep, personal secret with someone or allow someone to see you at your most vulnerable-- from then on you feel connected to that person. The same thing happens with Mark and Helen. So you take that into account, along with their chemistry and how well their personalities mesh, along with what mark f mentioned about Mark's voyeurism and how he's already spied on Helen and knows what kind of person she is, then I think that explains why she's "different."

I'm glad to see that you gave Peeping Tom a chance, seanc. I was worried that you might hate it, since it doesn't really seem like your kind of movie. At least you liked it somewhat.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Watership Down (1978)

I wished that I loved this one because it suits my animation taste well-a darker tone and starring animals. I really liked it but it wasn't as upsetting as I was hoping.

Try Plague Dogs then. I have a self-imposed ban from ever watching that movie again.

Watership Down is upsetting plenty to me, but the book is more so because then you get inside their adorable little bunny minds.

Hello everyone, I´ve made a review about the new Hercules movie with Dwayne The Rock Johnson, if you guys could check it out and give your honnest opinion would be great, I want to get better but I need you guys to tell me what I am doing wrong... hope you enjoy it and thanks for the help

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Interstellar (2014)

Ok, Nolan got me... Simply one the best sci-fi since 2001: A Space Odissey!
The only thing I didn't like about this one was Hathaway, still this is a solid:

10/10
can i ask why you like it so much?

i do see similarities between it and 2001 though, both are thoughtful, time consuming and time focused stories of human endeavour with a very cold, detached look at the consequences. it felt odd to me.
I don't like Nolan. In fact, I've seen all his movies and this is the first one I really like.
It starts as any other movie about end of the world (Armaggedon, etc.) and I was preparing myself to hate it after the first 45 minutes or so, but then it transforms into something incredible! There were times where I cried so much I thought I was gonna scream (not because of sad scenes, but because of the intensity and perfection of some parts). Sci-fi had been asking for something new for the last 20 years and this is it. It's probably too soon to realize the true impact of this movie in the history of cinema, but I'm guessing it will be huge!
I read some comments of people doubting the scientific true behind this but to me it does not bother me at all. I love science, Carl Sagan is my idol since I'm 15, but sci-fi is about going further than we know and risk beyond imagination and this achieved that.
I never expected that such a movie would come from the mind of Christopher Nolan, but he surprised me!

Animal Farm (1954) by Joy Batchelor and John Halas
+

Up until the end this stayed pretty accurate to its source material. They ruined the ending though which is one of the most poignant parts of the book so I was pretty upset about that. I liked the animation style and the narration was pretty good. I wish they would have actually had the animals sing 'The Beasts of England' and I missed out on some favorite characters, but for such a short movie they fit in most of the best stuff.

I'm glad to see that you gave Peeping Tom a chance, seanc. I was worried that you might hate it, since it doesn't really seem like your kind of movie. At least you liked it somewhat.
I did. You know who I really liked, who I haven't mentioned yet, was Helen's mother. Probably my favorite scene is when she sneaks into his film room. I really thought there would be more confrontation between the two of them. I love how she was blind, so her heightened senses let her feel how creepy he was. I thought they would focus more on her alcoholism as well. They really hit that point home a couple times, but it ends up meaning next to nothing.

The Triplets of Belleville (2003)

Animation is a bit out of my comfort zone as it is. Throw in the fact that this is basically a silent movie and you've got a bit of a stretch for me. I did appreciate the different style and I loved the fat dog.