Darth Stujitzu's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Thaks Darth, I may even watch this now.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Ring 2

2005 directed by; Hideo Nakata

Set six months after the original remake, a new danger awaits Rachael and her son Aidan, with echoes of the past and the cursed video-tape.

For new comers to the " Ring " films, this is the sequel to the remake of the original Japanese horror film involving a cursed video-tape and it's deadly outcome to all who view it.
The original " Ringu " was made in Japan in 1995 by director Hideo Nakata, and went on to become a cult film both in Asia and the west. A susequent Hollywood remake was inevitable, and in 2002 director Gore Verbinski brought his unique style and vision to the remake, starring Naomi Watts.
In Japan " Ringu " has spawned two sequels so far, so again it was inevitable that a Hollywood sequel would follow. For " Ring 2 ", Hideo Nakata has taken over directorial duties, and to start with all was well. I have watched a number of recent horror films from Asia, and Hollywood seems to be learning lessons from their far eastern counter parts. Asian horror movies are on a more intellectual level, and delve deep into our subconcious fears, especially using water, the dark and other more primal fears.
There is no special effect driven monster, instead in most of these films, the main horror character is human, mostly in the form of a ghostly child. Ring 2 was almost as good as Gore Verbinski's remake, but in my opinion was let down by a rather tame ending compared to the " Ring ". The performances were fine, but I didn't have the same feeling of dread towards the end of Ring 2, and i was left feeling slightly dissapointed.
For anyone who hasn't seen " Ringu " or its remake " Ring ", I highly recommend them, especially for the end sequence that on first viewing is unnerving but difficult to take your eyes off.

There are loads of Japanese horror remakes on the horizon, Jennifer Connelly stars in " Dark water " this winter, and we have already had Sarah Michelle Geller in " The Grudge ", but there seems to be an endless procession of films in this genre available for remakes.

Whilst I recommend Ring or Grudge over Ring 2, it's still a good movie to watch with someone of a nervous disposition, especially if they're a hottie!!!

Rating 3/5 ( didn't have me hiding behind the couch this time!)

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Oh well.

I thought The Ring 2 was one of the worst films I've seen this year, almost as bad as Creep. The opportunity to gaze at Naomi Watts for 90 minutes was just enough to stop me from switching off the television set and doing something less boring instead (that one might be lost on a few people, but I bet you geddit - think school holidays and painful stage school brats ).

The worst thing about the movie, for me, was that it's directed by the man himself, Nakata...

I've seen far worse, but yes it was dissapointing and very anti-climatic.
I too was expecting a lot more as Nakata was involved, but ultimately it was a let down. Haven't seen Creep, so can't comment, but after Ring 2 I'm not feeling too confident for Dark Water's remake, although watching Jennifer Connelly for 90 mins is always good in my book!!!
There were a few plus points for a budding filmaker like myself, going down the Tarantino route of borrowing from every film I see, I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you afterwards!

I think the original Dark Water is far less convoluted than Nakata's Ring (insert your own joke here) but the remake doesn't exactly fill me with expectation. It seems more of a teeth-cutting exercise in mainstream Hollywood for Walter Salles, who is a director I quite like.

Yes, unfortunately once the Hollywood machine gets its grips on foreign films with the sole purpose of a remake it's a lottery how'll they'll turn out. Salles is a good director, but I'm a huge fan of David Fincher, and look what happened to him with Alien 3, difficult to have a unique vision once the money men get involved.
Dark Water has quite a strong cast, and I do like Jennifer Connelly no matter what she's in, preferably not much clothing, but I agree it's more of a trial for Salles to show what he can do.
Very few remakes are often good, but at least they are giving it to somewhat established director rather than some pop-video director. Who knows, he might surprise us all.

Ali

2001 Directed by ; Michael Mann

Biopic of Muhammed Ali's rise to fame with Will Smith as Ali.

I'm a huge fan of Michael Mann, and this is probably the only film of his I hadn't seen. I don't know why, but when it was on general release I just didn't fancy it. For me Will Smith just isn't a serious actor, and perhaps this influenced my decision not to see it. I'm a huge fan of Ali as well, I own several documentaries including the excellent " When we were Kings ", perhaps the thought of Smith playing the iconic Ali just didn't do it for me, who would I have chosen, I honestly don't know.
My main gripes with Ali were that a very complex character was never really fleshed out or disected, instead there was an excessive amount of music montage with Smith trying to look mean and moody.
Mann has always been a fan of the music montage, and moody lighting, but whilst in other films he has not used it to the excessive, Ali felt like one long pop video/promo at times. I half expected Crockett and Tubbs to whizz past in an open topped ferrari at any moment. I found the fight scenes disjointed and disorientating, and not very plausible for the most part, and before the famous " Rumble in the Jungle " there was the most over sentimental montage of Ali connecting with the African people I have seen in ages.

To sum up, a huge dissapointment from a director I normally admire, and what should have been an iconic movie and a huge break from the norm for Smith, ends up knocked out in the first round!

Rating 1/5 ( against the ropes and facing a KO! )

There's a passible film lurking somewhere inside Ali but it needs a good 45 minutes cutting - many sequences drag on far too long and, as you suggest, it's the Score-driven scenes.

Smith does an impression of Ali, rather than offering an interpretation of his character. It gets very tiresome after a while (say, 15 minutes).

I wouldn't go as far as giving at 1/5, but 2.5 is as generous as I can be.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Thats fine I was wondering why you think "Will Smith just isn't a serious actor"? not that i am a great fan of his.

I see Smith more as a comedic actor, and I think he struggled with the challenge of the role of bringing one of the world's most iconic figures to life, due to his inexperience with serious more challenging roles. Smith is fine when he sticks to his rom-coms and buddy flicks, but in my opinion he just doesn't have the acting skills for more serious roles.
It is very hard for comedic actors to play it straight, I was impressed with Jim Carey in Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, but Carey had cut his teeth on serious roles in the Trueman show and Man on the moon.
So far Six degrees of seperation is the only other serious role I can remember Smith in, again it was a film that didn't impress me all that much.
Perhaps playing Ali was a huge task, and I believe other more talented actors would have struggled too, I just think Smith was a strange choice to begin with.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I wouldn't go as far as giving at 1/5, but 2.5 is as generous as I can be.

Perhaps 1/5 is harsh, I think that's due to the dissapointment that it was a Michael Mann film, a director whom I really admire.
Could also be due to the fact that it was a poor choice for Friday night viewing, I was looking for something entertaining and thought provoking from Mann, unfortunately it didn't tick any of the right boxes for me.

MovieForums Extra
Darth, did you rent this or buy it? I tried to queue it up at Netflix and I can't seem to find it.

Had to buy it off Amazon, can't get it in Britain, only in the states.
Wasn't too expensive, bearing in mind we seem to pay over the top for everything in this country! Average new DVD price here is around $30!

Withnail & I

1987 Directed by; Bruce Robinson

Bruce Robinson's cult film revolves around two unemployed actors desperate to escape their squalor for a weekend in the country.

A modern day Cult Classic, it's is one of those films you will either love or hate.
Richard E Grant is Withnail, whilst Paul McGann is I, two misfits thrown together in their London squat, desperate for work but more importantly booze. There are so many subtle little lines or quotes of humour in this film, that even after watching it several times over the years, it still makes me laugh every time I watch it.
I have known people that can quote this film almost verbatim, and whilst I do enjoy the film, I have never been that anamoured by it.
I've never tried the drinking game the film spawned, but I have had a few Camberwell Carrots in my time!
There is something sad about the film, especially the ambigitous ending, but you can't help but be drawn to the two unlikely heroes and their quest for work and booze.
Richard Griffiths is superb as sleazy uncle Monty, who has ulterior motives for his surprise visit during the weekend. Ralph Brown also deserves a mention as Danny the philosophy spouting drug dealer, a role he later copied in Wayne's World 2.
An enjoyable subtle comedy, that takes several viewings to unlock all the hidden treasures, but worth the viewing if you appreciate British humour.

Rating 4/5

Talking of Richard E Grant, Warlock is on the tv, forgot that he tries a Scottish accent in the film! Now, I like Richard, but for the love of God......
Right up there with Christopher Lambert's attempt in Highlander!
Och aye the noo.....

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Withnail & I

1987 Directed by; Bruce Robinson

A modern day Cult Classic, it's is one of those films you will either love or hate.
Love it

Criminal

2004 Directed by; Gregory Jacobs

Two con artists try to swindle a currency collector by selling him a counterfiet copy of a rare currency bill.

Going into this remake of 2000 Argentinian film " Nine Queens ", produced by Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney, I had high hopes, it also stars the brilliant and often under-rated John C Reilly, so there was much to look forward to.
Unfortunately this is a scene by scene copy of " Nine Queens ", and if like me you've seen it, don't bother with Criminal!
I'm amazed they even needed a director for this, there is nothing fresh or new to look at in the remake.
Nine Queens is a decent con movie with a good twist, but I was expecting more from the remake. Don't get me wrong, if you haven't seen Nine Queens, then Criminal is not a bad movie, similar to Soderbergh's own " Oceans 11 ", it's a cool movie rather than one of substance. The cast is good, as well as Reilly, there are turns from Maggie Gyllenhaal, Peter Mullan and " Y tu tambien.. "s Diego Luna.
Yet another Hollywood remake that has nothing new or fresh to offer from the original.

Rating 3.5/5 ( hardly inspiring remake, but not all bad )