Best Movie Villains

Tools    

Hello,

I am a stuying to become an English teacher and I would like to share my opinion about villains in movie because I really love movies too.

Apart from villains like Hannibal, Darth Vader and Voldemort (which are of course the most common villains and the best villains ever) I think that villains like Amon Goeth from Schindler's List and John Doe from Seven need to be mentioned as well. Types likes them really give you the shakes when you are watch those movies. This is of course because of the fantastic acting skills by Ralph Fiennes and Kevin Spacey. But these are just a few among many.

And what to think of the amazing acting skills of Al Pacino and Robert de Niro in The Devil's Advocate and Cape Fear? These are also examples of great individual acting skills which deserve great honor and respect. Al Pacino,by the way, is one of my favorite movie actors of all time and I think also one of the best of our time. He can play not only villains, but also good, emotionally unstable, respected types. Everytime he plays a part in a movie, he can do it in a way that you always believe that he IS the person he plays.

Robert de Niro and Tom Hanks are also two of many other favorite actors I have. They don't always play a villain, but just as with Al Pacino, they can really BE a person, instead of playing one.

Concerning villains, I think that actors like Jack Nicholson (The Witches of Eastwick and The Shining), Philip Seymour Hofmann (Mission:Impossible 3) Dustin Hofmann (Hook) and Russel Crowe (3:10 To Yuma) deserve great recognition for their work. Not just because they play the villains so well in these movies, but also they just have their very own characteristics and they can make themselves so unique in a good way.

If you woud like to comment on this, it would be real nice. Thank you.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Hello,
Concerning villains, I think that actors like Jack Nicholson (The Witches of Eastwick and The Shining), Philip Seymour Hofmann (Mission:Impossible 3) Dustin Hofmann (Hook) and Russel Crowe (3:10 To Yuma) deserve great recognition for their work. Not just because they play the villains so well in these movies, but also they just have their very own characteristics and they can make themselves so unique in a good way.
I believe that what constitutes a great villain is the inherent lack of concern for the consequences of one's actions. True villains do not feel guilt or regret. In addition, you'll find that some movie villains have a troubled past or childhood. Rather than using their struggles to become better and stronger individuals, these villains take a dark turn and instead have a desire to inflict pain or harm upon the world. The attitude is as such: If the world turned its back on me all those years ago, what do I owe it now? [Examples: Darth Vader, Voldemort, John Kramer/Jigsaw]

There are all kinds of villains in the movies. Some are simply caricatures of basic human flaws, some are meant for comic relief...but once in a while, we come across a villain whose psychology we cannot understand; villains whose actions are incomprehensible and without any clear reason or logic. [Examples: The Joker, Patrick Bateman, Amon Goeth]

Just some food for thought

Anarchist within reason
Christopher Walken as Gabriel from The Prophecy

Colm Feore as Andre Linoge from Storm of the Century (probably doesnt count because it was made for T.V wasn't it?)

Benedict from Commando
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

Umm, I was told there would be no math...
Hans Gruber. Die Hard.

Where are my detonators???

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
The Blob - THE BLOB

The Ancient Enemy - PHANTOMS ( also in my opinion the best thing Ben Affleck has done)

Bruno Ganz as Adolf Hitler - DOWNFALL

Then of course there are villains that aren't really human like the sea in "The Old Man and the Sea" with Spencer Tracy, or is it Tracey. I keep forgetting. Or maybe the villains are in a reverse role as in "John Dillinger". Of course they might just be life as in The Grapes of Wrath". But it is better when there is a real person to point the finger at and say, "Good night to the bad guy."

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
hmm, a few that come to mind...

Captain Vidal- Pan's Labyrinth

Percy Whitmore- The Green Mile

Jonathon- Arsenic and Old Lace

Mrs. Carmody- The Mist

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
The Smurfs - In 1976, La Flûte à six schtroumpfs (an adaptation of the original "Johan and Peewit" story) was released. Michel Legrand provided the musical score to the film. The film would in 1983 be released in the United States (after the animated series became popular there) in an English language dubbed version, produced by Stuart R. Ross in association with First Performance Pictures Corp, and titled The Smurfs and the Magic Flute. The film was distributed theatrically in North America by Atlantic Releasing Corp., on VHS by Vestron and syndicated on television by Tribune Entertainment. A few more full-length smurf movies were made, most notably The Baby Smurf and Here are the Smurfs,[21] created from episodes of the Hanna-Barbera TV cartoon series. Gotta love Wikipedia.....

Gargamel and Azrael

You people disappoint me. You've FAILED to mention one of the most iconic villains of all time.

What is wrong with you? What is WRONG with YOU?

the only 2 kevin costner movies....
3000 miles to graceland & mr brooks

john malkovich in con-air

robin willams in insomina

patrick dempsey in dark of the moon

tim roth in planet of the apes, hulk

daniel day louis in gangs of new york

the guy who was in knights tale & illusionist