Arlington Road

→ in
Tools    

I see a thread has been opened in the Upcoming Movies section concerning The Mothman Prophecies so I feel it is time to reflect on one of the genuine surprise treats of the last few years, directed by the same fellah, Arlington Road.

Arlington Road has a great cast going for it. The Dude Lebowski and Andy Dufresne rarely misstep in their script decisions and Arlington Road's script was fairly juicy. Here's the summary for those who haven't seen it. A college professor, Michael Farraday,(The Dude) loses his wife, an FBI agent, in an accident. Following her tragic death, he changes his subject of choice to terrorism, researching extensively on the subject, which harms both his relationship with a young college graduate and especially his son. He is helped out with his introverted son by a set of new neighbours (Andy Dufresne and John Cusack's big sis), who have a strange son of their own. But Michael isn't altogether sure that this new family is safe for his son. He's obviously paranoid but is that paranoia justified?

WARNING: "Arlington Road" spoilers below

From its opening scene I was surprised by Arlington Road. Its marketing was dreadful by the way. Each scene in the trailer looked so cliche, always highlighting the action and never concentrating on the paranoia that is so heightened during the movie. Back to business that opening scene shows a boy walking down the middle of the road covered in blood. Yowzah! What a beginning! The movie slows down after this, introducing us to its characters. It's not perfect for the next hour. A lot of the parental problems (absent mother, son not loving the replacement, etc.) have been done to death, but when the paranoia sets in, the film never lets up and the closing is a wow! So much happens at the end that my own mind got cluttered. Was Farraday's girlfriend killed in the car accident? I thought for a second that the FBI agent was on the other side. He wasn't, was he? Is Joan Cusack in on it? Are the kids in on it? DO YOU THINK THE MEDIA ACTUALLY DOES THIS? Does the media actually single out one obvious suspect, when there is no concrete proof, just to let the masses sleep safer in their beds? Damn it, who did blew up the twin towers?

Arlington Road is a movie that demands discussion and I'm ready if you are.

Good ending, never suspected it for a second. Even though the movie has been out for some time. I only saw it recently. I'd say if it was made to be brought out in the cinemas a few months ago, it wouldn't because of Sep. 11.

Makes ya think.

I dig this movie. Kinda feels Hitchcockian to me...very suspenseful. Highly recommended...but a LITTLE implausible, I'll admit. Not highly so, though. Not completely unrealistic.

B&W
this movie really, really makes u think

id hate to be in that guy's situation and feel so helpless

Originally posted by bigvalbowski

WARNING: "Arlington Road" spoilers below

Was Farraday's girlfriend killed in the car accident? I thought for a second that the FBI agent was on the other side. He wasn't, was he? Is Joan Cusack in on it? Are the kids in on it? DO YOU THINK THE MEDIA ACTUALLY DOES THIS? Does the media actually single out one obvious suspect, when there is no concrete proof, just to let the masses sleep safer in their beds? Damn it, who did blew up the twin towers?

Yeah she was, and they make it obvious the wife is in on it because they imply she was the one to make her have the accident. No he wasn't on the other side. The wife knows, yes. The kids do not.

Do I think the media does this? Tough question. I do wonder about Oklahoma and McVeigh and such. Seems too clean and clear. But I dont think there is a definite answer at all. I dont think the twin towers situation is comparable because the media never said it was one man in this situation. Its a group, only lead by 1 man. So its not very valid to question that, based on this movies message. I take this movie more as a warning that this can happen sometimes, rather than it always does.

I loved the twist at the end!