Greatest Dialogue Exchanges Ever

Tools    

some of the best dailogue exchanges i have seen in a film are in The Usual Suspects, espeically between Verbal Kint and Dave Kujan

Verbal
: Where's your head, Agent Kujan? Where do you think the pressure's coming from? Keyser Soze - or whatever you want to call him - he knows where I am right now. He's got the front burner under your ass to let me go so he can scoop me up ten minutes later. Immunity was just a deal with you ********. I got a whole new problem when I post bail.
Dave Kujan: So why play into his hands? We can protect you.
Verbal: Oh, gee, thanks, Dave. Bang-up job so far. Extortion, coercion. You'll pardon me if I ask you to kiss my pucker. The same ****ers that rounded us up and sank us into this mess are gonna bail me out? **** you. You think you can catch Keyser Soze? You think a guy like that comes this close to getting caught and sticks his head out? If he comes up for anything, it will be to get rid of me. After that... my guess is you'll never hear from him again.

Great thread, so I'm bumping it.

Two great examples of brilliant dialogue scenes for me:

Carnal Knowledge

This is not only a good example of a great dialogue scene, it's also a fantastic example of how to keep a dialogue scene (regardless of its content) cinematically interesting. We're constantly moving through the room, small details enter and leave the scene at a quick pace, the mood constantly swings, ... It's one of my absolute favorite bedroom dialogue scenes of all time! Everytime I watch it, I discover something new and interesting about it.

The Master

This one is much more simple in its form than the former example, but it's just as interesting to look at, because of the actors' faces and emotional expressions. The majority of this scene consists of simply two shots (Joaquin's face most of the time with some shots of PSH's face throughout), but it still reveals why cinema can be magical. It's the only artform that can truly reveal a person's emotions so directly and confrontingly as in this scene. Perfection.

Two thunmbs way up for the processing scene Cob. One of the greatest ever. I will give this more thought but the first one that popped into my head was Jules and Vince going to the apartment in Pulp Fuction. I would say 5-7 minutes straight of these two men on their way to their very violent job, just chatting about so much minutia. It is great exposition. It is funny. It is a great example of why I love Tarantino so much.

There's a scene in 1966's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton that takes place in the parking lot of a bar and ends with Burton saying "Total war?" and Taylor replies "Total", gets in the car and drives off leaving Burton in the dust. The dialogue exchange in that scene is brilliant.

Indecisive Video Customer: They say so much, but they never tell you if it's any good. Are either one of these any good? Sir?
Randal Graves: What?
Indecisive Video Customer: Are either one of these any good?
Randal Graves: I don't watch movies.
Indecisive Video Customer: Well, have you heard anything about either one of them?
Randal Graves: I find it's best to stay out of other people's affairs.
Indecisive Video Customer: You mean you haven't heard anybody say anything about either one of these?
Randal Graves: Nope.
Indecisive Video Customer: [turns around, then shows Randal the same movies] Well, what about these two?
Randal Graves: Oh, they suck.
Indecisive Video Customer: These are the same two movies! You weren't paying any attention!
Randal Graves: No, I wasn't.
Indecisive Video Customer: I don't think your manager would appreciate it if...
Randal Graves: I don't appreciate your ruse, ma'am.
Indecisive Video Customer: I beg your pardon?
Randal Graves: Your ruse. Your cunning attempt to trick me.
Indecisive Video Customer: I was only pointing out that you weren't paying any attention to what I was saying.
Randal Graves: And I hope it feels good.
Indecisive Video Customer: You hope *what* feels good?
Randal Graves: I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
Indecisive Video Customer: Well, this is the last time I rent here.
Randal Graves: You'll be missed.
Indecisive Video Customer: Screw you!
[leaves]
Randal Graves: [runs to the door] Hey! You're not allowed to rent here anymore!
Jay: [outside; has no idea what's going on] Yeah!

Doctor Who - Day of the Doctor:

ELIZABETH: Who is this man?
DOCTOR 10: That's just what I was wondering.
DOCTOR: Oh, that is skinny. That is proper skinny. I've never seen it from the outside. It's like a special effect. Oi!
(He knocks the fez to the ground.)
DOCTOR: Ha! Matchstick man.
DOCTOR 10: You're not.
(They both get out their sonic screwdrivers. 11's is bigger and better.)
DOCTOR 10: Compensating.
DOCTOR: For what?
DOCTOR 10: Regeneration. It's a lottery.
DOCTOR: Oh, he's cool. Isn't he cool? I'm the Doctor and I'm all cool. Oops, I'm wearing sandshoes.
DOCTOR 10: What are you doing here? I'm busy.
DOCTOR: Oh, busy. I see. Is that what we're calling it, eh? Eh?
(He puts on his fez and turns to the two Elizabeths.)
DOCTOR: Hello, ladies.
DOCTOR 10: Don't start.
DOCTOR: Listen, what you get up to in the privacy of your own regeneration is your business.
DOCTOR 10: One of them is a Zygon.
DOCTOR: Urgh. I'm not judging you.
(The time fissure reappears. They both put on their glasses, then notice each other.)
BOTH: Oh, lovely.
DOCTOR: Your Majesties. Probably a good time to run.
ELIZABETHS: But what about the creature?
DOCTOR 10: Elizabeth, whichever one of you is the real one, turn and run in the opposite direction to the other one.
ELIZABETHS: Of course, my love.
ELIZABETH: Stay alive, my love. I am not done with you yet.
(She kisses Doctor 10 and leaves.)
DOCTOR 10: Thanks. Lovely.
ELIZABETH 2: I understand. Live for me, my darling. We shall be together again.
(Another kiss and run.)
DOCTOR 10: Well, won't that be nice?
DOCTOR: One of those was a Zygon.
DOCTOR 10: Yeah.
DOCTOR: Big red rubbery thing covered in suckers.
DOCTOR 10: Yeah.
DOCTOR: Venom sacs in the tongue.
DOCTOR 10: Yeah, I'm getting the point, thank you.
DOCTOR: Nice.

The entire movie CLERKS. Amazing.

From Men In Black 3:

[the agent that had gone to get J some chocolate milk comes up to J with the milk]
Chocolate milk, sir.
Agent J: Where you been, man? It was like an hour ago.
[J starts chugging the chocolate milk]
Agent O: Wait. How long have you been craving chocolate iced dairy products?
Agent J: Just today.
Agent O: Are you experiencing headaches, dizziness, loss of balance?
Agent J: Mm-hmm.
Agent O: Agitation, depression?
Agent J: Hell, yeah!
Agent O: There are only two possibilities. One is you’ve been bitten by the Horbathion brain tick, you could die in horrible agony at any moment.
[suddenly O slaps J hard in the face]
Agent J: Aah!
Agent O: Dammit. It’s not the tick.
Agent J: Dammit it’s not the tick? There’s something worse than the tick?
Agent O: Mm.
Agent O: Your obsession with chocolate milk indicates that you might be involved in some sort of temporal fracture.
Agent J: I don’t know what you’re talking about.
Agent O: Chocolate milk relieves temporal fracture headaches.
Agent J: What’s a temporal fracture?
Agent O: A break in the time line.
Agent J: I don’t know what you’re talking about.
Agent O: Time travel! Time travel.
Agent J: There is no such thing as time travel.
Agent O: Well, there is.
Agent J: No, there’s not. Because if there were, a class one senior agent, such as myself, would have been made aware of it, wouldn’t he have?
Agent O: Were it not classified and way above his pay grade.
Agent J: You know what? I need a raise.
Agent O: There was one man, scum-bag, Obadiah Price. He figured it out, we busted him, we made time travel illegal throughout the universe, and he is serving life on Lunar Max.
Agent J: No, that’s where Boris was locked up.
Agent O: If Boris could work out how to time jump, he…he could seriously change the course of history.