About a Boy

→ in
Tools    

This is it. The culmination of Hugh Grant's career. He has never been better than he is in this film and that includes Four Weddings and a Funeral.

About A Boy is the new film, to be released in the States the same week as Star Wars, from the brothers Weitz, who previously entertained cinema audiences with American Pie. That movie surprised us with its sweetness while still providing a grand succession of chuckles. Their new movie, starring Hugh Grant and Nicholas Hoult, is similar in its blend of laughter and sympathy. But this time, surprisingly, the drama is placed on a higher shelf than the comedy.

Grant, improving on his wonderfully cocky cad role in Bridget Jones', plays an absolute bounder here. He lives off the royalties of his Dad's one successful record and spends his time either watching TV or dreaming up original and painless ways to meet dates. One such scheme involves pretending to be a single parent in order to meet other single parents. You see single parents are an easy lay. Then Grant meets Hoult, a son of one of these troubled single parents and the boy becomes attached to him.

There are lots of surprises in this movie and I won't spoil anyone. However don't be expecting a gross-out comedy. There are moments of high drama in this movie that are as unexpected as they are touching. Its really a story of the boy, Hoult, who's life isn't very pleasant. Grant gets to have all the best lines but unlike his previous performances, there is an arc to Grant's character which he plays to perfection. The film really is about Grant redeeming himself and finding out that he isn't as bad a guy as he wishes he was.

The film starts with the statement: "No Man is an Island". Grant's life goal has been to disprove this. By the end of the movie, the statement is proven true. And Grant is a better person because of it.

Grant is a very likeable leading man even when he is playing a very rotten person like Will. Very few actors enchant us as much as Grant does. He is excellent here, both at the comic and poignant scenes. He is helped by the performance of the young Hoult, who is so natural in front of the camera. He looks and acts like a twelve year old. And the audience loves him. Toni Colette balances her difficult performance between tragedy and comedy with aplomb. And Rachel Weisz, when she shows up, is as luminous as ever.

Dare I say, forget Star Wars, and go see this. I doubt Mr. Lucas will be able to make a film as warm as About A Boy.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, see Star Wars the day before About a Boy comes out.

I saw a spot for this on TV last night and I already want to see it, it looks like it could be a good movie. But I should know better than to base my reasoning on a 30 second spot.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I just saw this yesterday. I was very surprised that I actually enjoyed this Hugh Grant is at the top of my most hated actor list. However he was absolutely superb in this and this role seemed perfectly suited to him. A few more like this and i may change my opinion.

He had some really funny lines and there were many amusing, if not laugh out loud, moments during the film.

However BigVal, I have to disagree with you about the young actor who played the eponymous Boy from the title. I thought he was awful, as did the three people who went with me. He made Jake Lloyd's performance in Ep 1 look like an oscar winning performance. And his eyebrows! What were they all about? Watch this film and you will know exactly what i am talking about. Apparently they are real!

The kid who played Rachel Weisz's son was much better, especially during the scene where he has to apologise. Those facial expressions were priceless.

All in all a very enjoyable movie although not quite as good as Nick Hornby's last film, High Fidelity.

A good B.

Rachel Weisz's son was fantastic.

But I think you're being a bit harsh on the young star. His part was a lot more difficult than Grant's in that he had to carry most of the film's dramatic moments. His character's life was the pits and this could easily have been played for easy tears but the boy never pushed the "cuteness" value over the top. I thought he looked and acted and sounded (great narration by him) like the 12 year old that he was playing. Which isn't an easy thing to do for kids these days. Young actors are usually over-coached or completely untalented. I thought this young actor nailed his role. He was completely natural.

I hope you're not judging his performance on the fact that he wasn't Hollywood attractive. A friend of mine didn't like his performance because she didn't think he was cute enough. Give me a break!

I agree about the eyebrows. The best I've seen since David Hemmings.

No nothing to do with the fact he wasnt "cute!" Just didnt quite believe him. Although he is probably picked on in real life I just didnt quite believe what he was portraying on the screen.

Maybe it was just the fact (And i dont believe im about to say this) that Hugh Grant just stormed the film and the little guys performance just paled beside him. Whatever it was, there was something i just didnt like about him.

Put your finger on it and post back.

Maybe it was the fact that he didn't have a lot of funny lines. I'd like to know. There's a lot of people who didn't like his performance but they can't tell me why.

One of the guys I went to see it with hated the scene where he was rapping: "Shake your ass..." I'm guessing you didn't like that scene either.

Jake Lloyd's performance in Phantom Menace was horrible because he acted like a spoilt, bratty kid. And Anakin wasn't supposed to be a spoilt, bratty kid.

i know what yoiur saying... "What why the f*** didnt you see star wars?" well thats because it was sold out, and this was free.

this is good, but dont go to it with the chick flick thinking, not at all like that total guy movie. Look at the the name, about a boy.

Like british films like Bridget Jones Diary? this is the perfect example.

Good film, no im not saying dont see star wars first, but still consider this one.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

This is one of my favorite movies this year. I loved it so much. Way more than Star Wars.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i'm seeing this one. i wuv rachel weisz. she makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. i think it's the yummy lushness. like nigella lawson.

you brits have the coolest people.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Originally posted by thmilin
you brits have the coolest people.
Aww, gee, shucks

As with Briget Jones Diary I wasn't too keen on seeing this (it's trailer made it look completely bland and predictable) but, once again... I laughed my arse off

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by mecurdius
Good film, no im not saying dont see star wars first, but still consider this one.
When are you going to learn that there "genres" of film??!!
You can't lump Attack of the Clones in with About a Boy.

So, with that being said...
I really enjoyed this film. I thought Hugh Grant did an amazing job at his role, full of depth and complexities. The child actor was wonderful! It was so refreshing to watch a boy act, without looking like he was coached on how to say every single word. This is one of my favorites of this year...
Sidenote: I have no idea what Merc is saying up there at the top of this thread, if anyone can translate it for me, that'd be cool.

7/10

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Master Chief
7/10
What in the hell?

problem ?....

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Master Chief
problem ?....
Yeah. Two things.

This is a movie forum. It just irks me when people say," I liked this movie." Where's the chance for discussion? Where's the blah-blah-blah? I'd like to know the reasoning behind the likes and dislikes, ya know? That's what we're all here for. Discussion. Your post,"7/10" was just about as useless as it gets.

The second problem is with you rating, yeah.

I really liked this movie. I think it’s kind of ridiculous to slam the kid because he has screwy eyebrows, by the way. I thought he did really well as a kid living with all the strife in his life. It’s hard to believe that his homely mother is the same fox who played the Mother in The Sixth Sense. Hugh Grant was wonderful as the aging child who was clueless about what really matters in life.

My only complaint is that the movie suggested issues between Hugh’s father and himself, but never clarified what it was.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

It was beauty killed the beast.
It was a very enjoyable film. Good acting by all parties.

Did anyone else think the ending was rather hamfisted though? They did a good job sticking close to the book throughout most of the movie, but they strayed away at the end and it really shows. Oh well. Still good.

Originally Posted by Kong
It was a very enjoyable film. Good acting by all parties.

Did anyone else think the ending was rather hamfisted though? They did a good job sticking close to the book throughout most of the movie, but they strayed away at the end and it really shows. Oh well. Still good.
I didn't know that it came from a book. Spoiler the difference if you have time, please.