The Movie Forums Top 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

People complain, and I'd rather take the side of those who believe in freedom.
Another word for what you're talking about is lawlessness.

The little face afterwards both winking and grinning suggests I was being facetious to make a point. Look at how facetious he looks: He's a rapscallion, that one. Look out for him.

Precisely. This is my whole point: nobody hates freedom, or loves it less than you, or whatever. We all agree there have to be rules, there are just some totally honest and reasonable disagreements about their severity.

Literally the only thing I'm trying to convince you of is that the things you're suggesting, while potentially reasonable, would cause as many problems as they fix (including a few you probably haven't anticipated, because that always happens with any choice like this), so let's not pretend the choice that was made is some obvious error or flaw. It's a choice you don't personally like, and that's cool. Doesn't mean it wasn't really well-considered, and it doesn't mean the alternatives are better in total. I doubt there really is a true "better" either way with this many competing interests.
Ok, there's no better one. But there are alternative that allow people to exercize their beliefs without guilt.

If this isn't gonna happen l, then all I ask is that you consider that Aliens was eligible when I checked it and the google result backs up that it followed the rules set by Nostro. I just want that acknowledged. How do you know all the movies you checked as eligible are still eligible, and that the users who already gave you lists didn't gradually check the eligibility while preparing for the list? By that logic, something that was eligible when they nade it would be kicked off, and the user in question would be treated unfairly. Please acknowledge that.

I can't be the only user here who's gone through the change in genres with a movie.
But it didn't change. Aliens was never eligible. You were simply looking at an outdated source for your information.

As nostro linked earlier, the eligibility of Aliens - by the IMDb standard - was discussed way back in November when we were still arguing over the eligibility of Gremlins. Here's a screenshot of that post:

Ignore the line through Gremlins. That was just him expressing his personal opinion. It absolutely is eligible.

There's a time for this kind of debate - and nine days before the deadline for voting is not that time.

But it didn't change. Aliens was never eligible. You were simply looking at an outdated source for your information.

As nostro linked earlier, the eligibility of Aliens - by the IMDb standard - was discussed way back in November when we were still arguing over the eligibility of Gremlins. Here's a screenshot of that post:

Ignore the line through Gremlins. That was just him expressing his personal opinion. It absolutely is eligible.

There's a time for this kind of debate - and nine days before the deadline for voting is not that time.

I'm sorry, did you specifically check it back in December? Did you specifically go to imdb two or three weeks after the thread started, when I was working on the list? Look at the amount of votes on those pages, and on the actual imdb page. There's a very small difference in the amount of votes displayed, whixh means the information isn't that old.

Another word for what you're talking about is lawlessness.

A little more freedom than what you gave and complete lawlessness are two different things. I said have a more accepting criterion, not follow no rules. Duh.

I'm sorry, did you specifically check it back in December? Did you specifically go to imdb two or three weeks after the thread started, when I was working on the list? Look at the amount of votes on those pages, and on the actual imdb page. There's a very small difference in the amount of votes displayed, whixh means the information isn't that old.
The votes displayed on what pages? What are you even talking about?

The votes displayed on what pages? What are you even talking about?

The numbers of ratings. On the Google results you see two links to that 0age. One has over 591,300, and the early one has more than 100 less. The actual page has 591,400. Not a huge difference considering popular movies like Aliens get 10,000-20,000 new ratings a year, or a couple hundred rating a week. This proves those google results saying "Action, Horror, Sci-Fi" which have the 591300 and 591200 amounts aren't very old.

The numbers of ratings. On the Google results you see two links to that 0age. One has over 591,300, and the early one has more than 100 less. The actual page has 591,600. Not a huge difference considering popular movies like Aliens get 10,000-20,000 new ratings a year, or a couple hundred rating a week. This proves those google results saying "Action, Horror, Sci-Fi" aren't very old.
Why would I be looking at the Google result (and why were you?) when the rules clearly state that eligibility is determined by IMDb?

When I checked the eligibility of films for this list, I did so by going directly to IMDB.com and typing the film's title into their search bar. I get that it sucks that you looked at an inaccurate source, but that's nobody's fault but your own.

Ok, there's no better one. But there are alternative that allow people to exercize their beliefs without guilt.
Fair enough! Honestly I'm really just trying to promote humility and understanding for how tricky the problem is, because I've been watching this fight happen for a dozen years or more.

Re: the Google/IMDB stuff. I mean, I think everybody admits IMDB had it as horror at one point, probably. The Google thing doesn't quite prove that (I can explain why in boring technical terms if anybody cares), but it at least suggests it. It's dumb and bad that their tags perhaps change over time, but there's nothing to be done about it, except next time decide to pick a policy on when it gets checked (when it's first submitted? During the criteria discussion? Up to the Curator, but a choice will have to be made).

Because Google is useful if you know how to use it. Just because you didn't bother to look at my link, that doesn't mean I'm wrong. It means you were lazy.

Because Google is useful if you know how to use it. Just because you didn't bother to look at my link, that doesn't mean I'm wrong. It means you were lazy.
Yoda explained that earlier. This is something common no matter what you search for on Google.

Clearly it's not as useful as you think it is.

Whatever. I'm off to compile my ballot.

How is that a point of discussiom? What do you think google links takes info from hindreds of other pages? No. They cached info is directly from the source. For all I know all you said was "I'm not wrong about anything so.I'm going to vaguely insult youm" Discuss things instead of being a wisecrack.

How is that a point of discussiom? What do you think google links takes info from hindreds of other pages? No. They cached info is directly from the source. For all I know all you said was "I'm not wrong about anything so.I'm going to vaguely insult youm" Discuss things instead of being a wisecrack.
Yes, Google caches information from other websites - but how frequently? How up to date is it actually? And your response of "because Google is useful if you know how to use it" is a piss poor excuse for not checking the actual website that the rules are based on.

Yes, Google caches information from other websites - but how frequently? How up to date is it actually? And your response of "because Google is useful if you know how to use it" is a piss poor excuse for not checking the actual website that the rules are based on.

I CHECKED IT IN DECEMBER. IT WAS ELIGIBLE.
I SAID THAT LIKE FIVE TIMES AND IT'S PART OF THE BASIS OF MY POINT.

Should I launch into a boring technical explanation as to why you may have seen "Horror" on Google's results? That might be necessary, I guess.

At minimum, though, the relevant point is that Google is not IMDB. It displays data from other sites, not always perfectly, and often out of date. In this case it seems to be displaying something in the IMDB page's code that isn't visible publicly, for example. Google, not being the actual source itself, shouldn't be counted on to be a perfect conveyor of what IMDB says, is all. So you don't need to prove that Google had that word there, because that's easily proven, and has already been proven, and isn't technically germane to the question. At most, it speaks to whether it has EVER been horror on IMDB, and it doesn't actually even prove that, for the aforementioned technical reasons.

I CHECKED IT IN DECEMBER. IT WAS ELIGIBLE.
I SAID THAT LIKE FIVE TIMES AND IT'S PART OF THE BASIS OF MY POINT.
You checked what: IMDB itself, or the same Google results? Crucial distinction.

Also, the Internet Archive takes snapshots of web pages at different times. Here's one from late December of the Aliens page, with Horror not listed:

https://web.archive.org/web/20181226...tle/tt0090605/

They have three other snapshots from December, none of them with Horror listed, either.