Mojo Filter's Top 50 Male Solo Artists

Tools    

Following my list of Top 50 Bands, I've decided to explore my Top 50 Male Solo Artists who have entertained and inspired me throughout my life.

The list includes singers from across many genres: pop, rock, folk, rap, R&B, and soul.

I will feature my favorite songs, and, occasionally, the top album pick for each artist.

Hope you enjoy! Here goes...
50. JOE JACKSON
I was introduced to English new wave singer Joe Jackson at a very early age. My family owned a record album of his, 1982's Night And Day, and that was how I got exposed to his cool music.

My favorite songs:
Is She Really Going Out With Him?
One More Time
Breaking Us In Two
You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)
Steppin' Out

49. CHUCK BERRY
Revered by many artists, including The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and The Rolling Stones, as an inspiration and a rock 'n roll pioneer, and even though I do not know his entire catalog and was never a huge fan, Chuck Berry is one of the biggest legends in rock history.

My favorite songs:
Roll Over Beethoven
You Never Can Tell
Maybellene
Rock n' Roll Music
Run Rudolph Run
Johnny B. Goode

48. GLENN FREY

After The Eagles disbanded, Glenn Frey launched a successful solo career, peaking in the 80's with a whole bunch of Top 10 hit singles. I always thought both him and his music were cool.

My favorite songs:
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
Part Of Me, Part Of You
I Got Mine
The Heat Is On

47. AL GREEN
I was exposed to Al Green's soulful music through the many movies in which his songs were featured. He's one of the greatest R&B singers of all time.

My favorite songs:
Tired Of Being Alone
Love And Happiness
Look What You Done For Me
I'm Still In Love With You
Here I Am (Come And Take Me)
Let's Stay Together

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Interesting idea for a list. I'm not sure if I could count 20 male solo singers that I like, let alone 50, but I appreciate your efforts.

I hope to see Don Henley somewhere on your list since Glenn Frey has already made an appearance.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I thought you had Ed Sheeran at # 50 and Joe Jackson at #48. Now you have Joe Jackson at #50 and Glenn Frey at #48. Am I remembering wrong or did you change your #50 and #48 artists?

46. JIMI HENDRIX
Arguably the best guitarist in rock history, Jimi also was an accomplished singer whose songs play like classic anthems.

My favorite songs:
All Along The Watchtower
Foxy Lady
The Wind Cries Mary
Hey Joe
Purple Haze

I thought you had Ed Sheeran at # 50 and Joe Jackson at #48. Now you have Joe Jackson at #50 and Glenn Frey at #48. Am I remembering wrong or did you change your #50 and #48 artists?

I did. I was still working on my list. Sadly, some artists lost their spot in favor of other worthy artists.

Sorry for the confusion. The rest of the list is intact.

Interesting idea for a list. I'm not sure if I could count 20 male solo singers that I like, let alone 50, but I appreciate your efforts.

I hope to see Don Henley somewhere on your list since Glenn Frey has already made an appearance.
Thanks for the compliment

I'm actually planning on posting my Top Female Solo Artists after I wrap this one up.

I had more than 50 artists that I listed originally, but narrowed it down to that number. What can I say? I am a huge music fanatic!

Stick around...

45. JACKSON BROWNE
I didn't get into Jackson Browne until a few years ago, and what I discovered was what an incredible singer he is.

My favorite songs:
Running On Empty
Lawyers In Love
Tender Is The Night
The Pretender
Doctor My Eyes
Somebody's Baby

44. BUDDY HOLLY
Buddy Holly was one of the pioneers of rock 'n roll in the 50's. He had such a huge impact on young musicians everywhere, including The Beatles.

My favorite songs:

Peggy Sue
Everyday
Oh, Boy!
That'll Be The Day

43. EDDIE MONEY
Eddie was one of the coolest rockers of the 80's. His songs were all over the place. He was such an incredible talent that faded fast.

My favorite songs:
Baby Hold On
Two Tickets To Paradise
Shakin'
Think I'm In Love
Take Me Home Tonight

Your not hitting on my faves yet but you listen to a whole lot more music than me. Don't think I could do a male solo list this big. Glad goodies mentioned the switch-a-roo. I thought I was losing it.

42. SAM COOKE

I discovered Sam Cooke's amazing voice and sweet melodies through the many movies his music was featured in. He's easily one of the greatest R&B and soul singers of all time.

My favorite songs:
Chain Gang
You Send Me
(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons
Cupid
A Change Is Gonna Come
Wonderful World

41. RAY CHARLES
There is no way a list of the greatest solo artists could be compiled without mentioning one of the most magnificent musicians of our time, Mr. Ray Charles. I know some might think I've committed a crime by placing him just south of my Top 40, but I haven't thoroughly explored his catalog. If I revisit this list a few years from now, Ray might be somewhere in my Top 30.

My favorite songs:
Hit The Road Jack
You Don't Know Me
Mess Around
I've Got A Woman
Georgia On My Mind
Ol' Man River

40. ERIC CLAPTON
Aside from being a legendary rock guitarist and accomplished recording artist, I always thought Eric Clapton was one of the coolest guys in the music business.

My favorite songs:
I Shot The Sheriff
Cocaine
Wonderful Tonight
Layla
Change The World
Father's Eyes
Blue Eyes Blue
Tears In Heaven