Which was the best ever war movie?

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”
The Human Condition Trilogy is the best!

Another great war movies imo:
Schindler List
The Deer Hunter
Fullmetal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
Bullet in the Head
Platoon

Really liked, in no particular order:

All Quiet on The Western Front
Wings
The Great Parade
Schindler's List
Allied
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
The Pianist
Das Boot
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
Defiance
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Water Diviner
Come and See
Flowers of War
Downfall
Judgement at Nuremberg
Goodbye Children
Giovanni's Island
So Proudly We Hail

Disliked:
Hacksaw Ridge
Fury
Come and See

Last night I watched U-571, it should be added to the liked list. Hacksaw Ridge was a real story of Desmond Thomas Doss who saved 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa. It was really well directed.

Hacksaw Ridge is not a good movie, just saying.
But it's based on the real story. I wonder why people are criticizing this movie.

The Great Escape, it has an all star cast, i read that Steve McQueen did all his own stunts in this film as he was a keen motorcyclist, plus he also played the role of one of the German officers chasing him in the final bike scene.

i would say three movies come top:
the great escape
apocalypse now
saving private ryan

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The Great Escape, it has an all star cast, i read that Steve McQueen did all his own stunts in this film as he was a keen motorcyclist, plus he also played the role of one of the German officers chasing him in the final bike scene.
Incorrect. Ek1n was Steve's double and was inducted into stuntmans Halloween of fame for his work in that. I doubt very much actors ever have enough insurance, especially to freestyle jump a barbed wire hence, I also doubt you read that because that's pretty well universally known and frequently hailed

But it's based on the real story. I wonder why people are criticizing this movie.
You said it, it's BASED on the real story. I wonder how much of what was shown on the big screen was real.

Hacksaw Ridge is not a good movie, just saying.
it's typical war melodrama with borderline exploitative

Incorrect. Ek1n was Steve's double and was inducted into stuntmans Halloween of fame for his work in that. I doubt very much actors ever have enough insurance, especially to freestyle jump a barbed wire hence, I also doubt you read that because that's pretty well universally known and frequently hailed
Lol!!! 😆

I enjoyed Defiance, and the story wasn't something I'd known about beforehand so it was really fascinating.

I always think of Das Boot as a TV series, even though a film was made from the episodes. If it was a film I think it would be the best ever.

11. Master and Commander: Far Side of the World (2002)
Great example. What a shame they didn't make any more.

My theory as to why there are some many WWII films is that it's a clear depiction of "good vs evil", and so much happened, it's easy to find a part of the war to depict in film. And, as to why there are so many good ones, it's because there are so many, and the law of averages dictate that there has to be so many quality outputs with so many made in the first place.
Yes it is good vs evil and the influence it's had on popular culture is immense. Even if fascists aren't available they still crop up in other forms, like the Daleks with their superiority complex, gliding around like mini tanks and exterminating everything.

Dances with Wolves is an excellent war film, so is The Terminator.

I think Secret Army is the best WWII television series.

You said it, it's BASED on the real story. I wonder how much of what was shown on the big screen was real.
Its a movie so definitely everything couldn't be shown in a ream manner. Some variations would be there. In a scene its shown where Andrew Garfield fights with Hugo Weaving for pointing gun towards Rachel Griffiths but that incident happened when Desmond Doss was a kid.

Funny you bring that up because quite a bit of Desmond Doss's story was excised from the film because it was too unbelievable. Okinawa was made out to be when the entire troop first experienced the enemy but they had been fighting touring before that and Doss had already received several commendations.

By the end of the war he lost a lung, several ribs and use of his left arm and yet he still lived to be 87 years old.

Hmmm, in no order >>

The Great Escape
Platoon
Ice Station Zebra
Big Red One
Where Eagles Dare
Fury
The Pianist
Glory
Saving Private Ryan
Thin Red Line
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Battle Of Britain

The Cruel Sea

Das Boot

Those are probably my top three, though if we're calling Starship Troopers a war film rather than just being a magnificent fun ride, then that would probably be in there.

Another favorite of mine is Red Angel. It tells the story of a Japanese WWII nurse who is raped by a soldier and then must carry out field work on the Chinese front.