Anybody serious about coffee?

Tools    

I do know of people who don't like drinking water period...me? I love water! Always have, it's so refreshing.
I drink water every day. And I buy a bottle of water in hot weather as I begin my daily walk. I cannot stand being thirsty!

You ready? You look ready.
Coffee is probably going to become like caviar sooner than later.

Especially if coffee rust sets in on any of these farms.

Last time there was serious coffee rust it wiped out a whole country’s production of the plant.

And since a lot of these coffee strains are so similar it wouldn’t be unheard of for the majority of the market to get wiped out. Same goes for bananas.

Coffee is probably going to become like caviar sooner than later.

Especially if coffee rust sets in on any of these farms.

Last time there was serious coffee rust it wiped out a whole country’s production of the plant.

And since a lot of these coffee strains are so similar it wouldn’t be unheard of for the majority of the market to get wiped out. Same goes for bananas.
What the heck is coffee rust?

Bananas too? There goes my 2nd daily requisite.

You ready? You look ready.
Re coffee rust: it is a fungus that is dependent upon coffee to survive, so it only attacks coffee plants and once it gets started you ain’t going to stop it. Back in the 50s (I think that’s when it last was) there was a small island known for exporting coffee until rust set in and they had to destroy entire crops to eradicate it. By the time they were successful in stopping it the island had already moved on to another crop and that coffee bean is now lost to the annals of history.

As for bananas, we have strategically grown and breed certain strains to create a fast growing/ripening banana that is relatively transport/shelf stable. If anything ever wipes out/attacks that particular strain then no more bananas.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Of course I just shouted about coffee...

No coffee. NBD. It’s one of my favorite things, but not as much as oxygen. Speaking of...

What are some at home, drip brewing coffee tips. Please don’t “french press” me or send me to buy something else.

Drip coffee, whole bean, filtered water is my process. I like a strong cup (doesn’t seem thin/watery), but seem to get too much of that oily/acidic tongue finish.

I’ve tried a bunch of the Target varieties and broke down and got a bag from the people that can’t spell doughnut. Still not right after experimenting with the amounts. I use about 8T for 4 (carafe) cups, which is probably 18oz of water.

My gf has a Keurig, SA blend from Target and it is perfect. That leads me to believe it’s the process over any of my physiological issues.

As for bananas, we have strategically grown and breed certain strains to create a fast growing/ripening banana that is relatively transport/shelf stable. If anything ever wipes out/attacks that particular strain then no more bananas.
Terrific. Something else to worry about.

My gf has a Keurig, SA blend from Target and it is perfect. That leads me to believe it’s the process over any of my physiological issues.
I never make coffee at home.

I like the Keurig machines & their little cups. Very convenient. But, did you know that the original designer rued the day he invented the system since the cups are not biodegradable?

Everybody can rest easy. I bought a french press today.

Sometimes you can have a great coffee outdoors, camping or with some company.....
This guy left his "comfort zone" and went hiking alone in the woods.... after rain started he set his tarp between two trees and made a small fire and of course a COFFEE

A coarser roast and less coffee seem to be a step in the right direction.

Hate to say how much I love the french press, only because I resisted it so long. Didn’t want to be the fp guy 🤫

The simplicity wins me over and I’m surprised by how long it stays warm. Clean-up is the only drawback.

If you don't have on you a moka-pot, nor an espresso machine, maybe traveling somewhere......
Here is how you can make a Turkish Coffee

If I'm making Turkish Coffee, I'm not boiling the coffee with the water, I add it after it's strongly boiling..... by stopping the stove and adding the coffee after it boiled. Then I stir it.
But I guess there are different styles of making it ....

Here is another style ....

At least (in both videos) they agree on 2 things: the heat on the stove should be medium and when you pour it - you have to pour it slowly

Panicked at a big shopping center this a.m. (unfamiliar to me). Desperately in need of coffee & could not find a DNKN. Had to be there since they are everywhere. Finally found one tucked away off the main strip (unusual for DNKN). Panic over.

First time ever I’ve seen a little case of wipes affixed to each table for the use of customers at DNKN. Excellent idea.

The Adventure Starts Here!
A Dunkin Donuts was constructed a few miles from my house about six months ago. It's drive-thru only. No going inside at all unless you work there. I'm wondering if that was a conscious pandemic-related choice or if Dunkin Donuts has had a bunch of drive-thru only locations. Anyone?

I'm by no means a coffee snob, but I try to have my "morning" coffee every day. (I'm a night owl, so sometimes that first coffee is, like, now—which is 11 a.m.) My daughter buys me a bag of this coffee for Christmas most years now, and I love it. Very smoooooth:

https://aromaridge.com/roasted-coffe...-blend-coffee/

Other than that, I have a few local favorite shops, especially Café Kolache, about three miles from my house: https://cafekolache.com/ The owners are great fun, the kolaches are scrumptious (both breakfast and lunch types). Their coffee is as close to perfect as I've ever tasted. A few years ago a Starbucks moved in just down the block, and I worried for the future of my beloved little coffee shop. But... no worries! Starbucks has its very different type of client, and Café Kolache's patrons are incredibly loyal. Both shops survive at opposite ends of the block of the small town near me.

And now, I'm off to drink my Hannah's blend with a little Sweet 'n Low and some Coffee Mate sugar-free Italian Sweet Creme creamer, in my punctuation mug given to me by a writer friend, the mug sitting on a coffee warmer so I can sip for hours. No judgment, please.

A Dunkin Donuts was constructed a few miles from my house about six months ago. It's drive-thru only. No going inside at all unless you work there. I'm wondering if that was a conscious pandemic-related choice or if Dunkin Donuts has had a bunch of drive-thru only locations. Anyone?
Never seen a drive-thru only DNKN, which doesn’t mean they don’t exist. No doubt drive-thru only is the way to go. The one at the end of my street is eat-in & drive-thru. My favorite DNKN, which is eat-in only, has “temporarily closed”, which is maddening.

Where I live, since many people here don’t own cars, the best business model IMO is eat-in & drive-thru. The drive-thru part is definitely the busiest part though.

It's definitely busy-busy-busy all the time. It's a cute little building, clearly just big enough to house the donut/doughnut-making, the coffee-making, and a few employees. So, no real parking lot, either, except for room for the employees' cars.

It's definitely busy-busy-busy all the time. It's a cute little building, clearly just big enough to house the donut/doughnut-making, the coffee-making, and a few employees. So, no real parking lot, either, except for room for the employees' cars.
Yeah, same here. Mine could have put a few tables outside, but probably too dangerous the way people drive.

Forgot to say how I like the sound of the other coffee place that you like. I want one of those K-things you mentioned. Too lazy to check the spelling.

BTW, I hate Starbucks. Their coffee is not caliente!

Yeah, same here. Mine could have put a few tables outside, but probably too dangerous the way people drive.

Forgot to say how I like the sound of the other coffee place that you like. I want one of those K-things you mentioned. Too lazy to check the spelling.

BTW, I hate Starbucks. Their coffee is not caliente!
Starbucks will do in a pinch if I'm traveling, but I don't go there on purpose when I have other options.

Café Kolache is a delightful place to be and work. And have meetings. And have typewriter type-ins in their back room!

⬆️ I don’t like manual typewriters, but I love electric ones. Not that I own one, but I always enjoyed using them.

Look at this: Sylvia Plath’s Hermes 3000. She wrote The Bell Jar on this. It’s so cute.

Looks like a great place.

⬆️ I don’t like manual typewriters, but I love electric ones. Not that I own one, but I always enjoyed using them.

Look at this: Sylvia Plath’s Hermes 3000. She wrote The Bell Jar on this. It’s so cute.

Looks like a great place.
Funny you should mention the Hermes. I actually have one of those, which I bought from the guy at the head of the table in my type-in picture.

I don't care for typing too long on a manual either, but my Selectrics are a DREAM to type on!

Sadly, the Selectric won't accompany me to Café Kolache any time soon. The type-ins are strictly manual/no electricity ... and they're a lot of fun to participate in. Great food, great coffee, great friends.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-19 02.46.18.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	76849  

Funny you should mention the Hermes. I actually have one of those, which I bought from the guy at the head of the table in my type-in picture.

I don't care for typing too long on a manual either, but my Selectrics are a DREAM to type on!

Sadly, the Selectric won't accompany me to Café Kolache any time soon. The type-ins are strictly manual/no electricity ... and they're a lot of fun to participate in. Great food, great coffee, great friends.
I had never heard of the Hermes until The NY Times (or someone else) had a recent article about its connection to Plath.

I didn’t want to bore you earlier, but the IBM Selectric was definitely my favorite. Love the golf balls. So nice to type on.

Couple of summers ago, my local rectory threw out a lovely one into a dumpster. Could not believe my eyes since it looked perfectly fine. I wanted to take it, but had no means of getting it home. Gotta love the Catholic Church.