Yeah...So i guess the draft is coming back...

Tools    

Well, its almost official. Old GWB is selecting 10,000 American citezens to serve on a draft consulting board, which means, that they're probably gonna re-instate the draft. I think it'll be the first time since....1973-ish? What do you all think?

I haven't heard anything about this at all. Post a link.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'd heard a rumor to this effect on some bizarre, conspiracy-theory-esque website a little while ago. Then I read an article no more than a couple weeks ago on Yahoo in which Rumsfeld dismissed the idea rather definitively.

I'd definitely need a credible source before believing this.

The idea of the Draft returning anytime soon is pretty obsurd. I say this not because the draft in itself is a bad thing, but because it just is not needed. The amount of people who are willing to join the armed forces if need be is staggering. Alot of unemployeed citizens try, without any luck, to join and they are turned down for very miniscule reasons. I lied about knee surgery to serve my country. If I thought my knee would have been a problem to me or my fellow soldiers, no way would I have joined. I had surgery to fix my problem, which it did. I did very well on physical fitness tests, and my knee was never an issue during my term in the Army. I guess what I am saying here is that all the people out there who want to join and cant because they are not in tip top shape for one reason or another are ready to serve. In no way do I think it would weaken our military. There are many non combat positions they could serve if need be. The draft is a thing of the past.

Good points, 7th. And from what i've heard, we're having a little trouble getting ready for the June 30th deadline (The withdrawl from Iraq). I've heard some rumor that we are unable to fully circulate forces, ya know, replace our overseas troops with fresh ones. I realize im speaking of our forces like produce, and i apologize for that.
The draft, i suppose, has become the medicine that were not really ready to take, but it is there, wheather any of you like it or not. It still could happen, i suppose, maybe to our children, (or your grandchildren, depending on your age). Sorry if i came off as offensive or uninformed on this thread.

Originally Posted by Zeiken
Any thoughts?
Yeah, I've got a thought: that site's more biased than a little leaguer's father. Look at some of its headlines:Notice that the article you linked to is somewhat light on objective fact, and heavy with rhetoric and opinion. My guess is that, whatever's actually going on, it's being skewed.

How far can we stretch our military ... in either numbers or in individual duties? George Bush's handlers had him read that, starting with Afghanistan -- a 'war' still-in-process just not being reported on ... we were facing "the first war of the 21st Century" ... there are spots in the world, like Columbia, where we have military presence and Dyncorp mercenaries ... Iraq's mission, a year later, is hardly accomplished ... a 'first war' implies many to follow ... it's only 2004 in this century ... even if this 'first war' doctrine is defeated, despite that (est.) 80% of the vote will be conducted on Diebold-type voting machines, come November ... the future of draft is still a real possibility ...

IIRC, a Bill had been introduced in Congress ... I want to say it was introduced by Sen. Hagel ... sitting there to be moved at the whim of the Party-in-control's floor leadership ... but, it's been over-shadowed by the one introduced by Congressman Rangel, mirrored in the Senate by Sen. Hollings. Congressman Rangel wants to make sure that if the draft returns, it will be not like Vietnam revisited ... it'll be eglatarian ...

Rangel: 'For those who say the poor fight better, I say give the rich a chance.'

CNN article

There are signs that things are being done to avoid bringing a Draft forward until after November ... a couple of recent examples:

- Rare Reserve Call Up
- Army May Tap Training Units for Iraq Duty

Those are the topics of the articles below:

PARAMILITARY FORCES AND RESERVES: Rare Reserve Call Up
May 24, 2004: The U.S. Armed Forces are calling to active duty the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). These are soldiers in the reserve who are not assigned to a unit (and are thus not paid), but are still serving out there remaining time (that they signed up for) in the reserves or active duty. Until their time is expired, they are liable to call up. Some are going to be called up. This is rarely done.

~snip~

Rare Reserve Call Up

Army May Tap Training Units for Iraq Duty

May 25, 2004 05:07 PM EDT

WASHINGTON - In a sign of the Iraq war's strain on the U.S. military, the Army is planning to send into combat thousands of soldiers whose normal job is to play the role of the "enemy" at training ranges in California and Louisiana, defense officials said Tuesday.

The Pentagon also is considering adding yet another National Guard brigade, the 155th Separate Armored Brigade from Mississippi, to the mix of active-duty and reserve units designated for the next rotation of ground forces into Iraq this year and in early 2005, other Army officials said.

With nearly every other major combat unit either committed to or just returned from Iraq or Afghanistan, the Army is planning to call on two battalions and one engineer company - about 2,500 soldiers - from the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, which serves as a professional enemy force at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, Calif. The regiment last saw combat in the Vietnam War.

The Army boasts of the "tough and uncompromising standards" of the 11th Armored Cavalry, which it says makes it the premier maneuver unit in the Army and "the yardstick against which the rest of the Army measures itself."

Similarly, the 1st Battalion of the 509th Infantry, which acts as the Opfor, or opposition force, for light infantry and special operations training at Fort Polk, La., is being called to Iraq, according to two Army officials who discussed the matter on condition of anonymity.

The 509th Infantry has not seen combat since World War II, although five members of the unit served as "pathfinders," or advance scouts, during the 1991 Gulf War; two were killed and one was taken prisoner.

Both the National Training Center and Fort Polk's Joint Readiness Training Center will remain open, the officials said, with National Guard soldiers expected to fill in for the units going to Iraq.

~snip~

Training Units May be Called

An independent press editorial:

It's Spring. Can You Feel the Draft, Yet? - A BuzzFlash Editorial

BuzzFlash

I wonder why they are calling it a “Rare Reserve” call up? They did the same thing with the IRR during Desert Storm and the majority of the Reserve and National Guard Units they have named were also activated then…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I know when I signed up for the Army I had to be commited to 8 years of service, 4 of those on active duty and 4 more on inactive reserve. You do nothing in the inactive reserve other than have your name on the inactive roster so you can be called up anytime during that period. If you are called up during your inactive period it is still considered a voluntary enlistment and not part of a draft. Now I have not been in the military, active or inactive for awhile so the policies may have changed. I do know that there was ,at one time, more people on the inactive roster than there were on the active roster. So if this is the case we could more than double our military's strength without imposing the draft, and furthermore these members would already have extensive knowledge and experience. Like I said I am not sure if this policy has changed or how many may be on the inactive roster, but it sure seems like a great backup plan.

Kanjorski Supports Reinstating the Draft

BY LYNNE SLACK SHEDLOCK THE SCRANTON TIMES 05/28/2004

U.S. Rep. Paul E. Kanjorski, D-Nanticoke, has issued a statement saying he "fully supports" reinstating the draft, but not because he backs "a blanket effort" to send more troops to Iraq.

In a press release delivered to the Times-Tribune newspapers late Thursday, Mr. Kanjorski said he supports bringing back selective service because it is unfair for a small percentage of the population to "carry the weight of the nation."

~snip~

"Americans will be less likely to support entering into war unless they believe in it 100 percent when it is their loved ones who are putting their lives on the line," he said.

~snip~

Harvey Sapolsky, director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Security Studies Program, and Lawrence Korb, a former assistant secretary for defense and current senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, said they believe a draft is unlikely because of the political consequences.

~snip~

bandwagon effect?

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by cosmicdot
Kanjorski Supports Reinstating the Draft

~snip~

"Americans will be less likely to support entering into war unless they believe in it 100 percent when it is their loved ones who are putting their lives on the line," he said.

In the immortal words of Shaggy..... ZOINKS!!!!

Although it seems more like:

"Americans will be less likely to think the way we want them to unless we force their loved ones to fight in a war they don't support." ...is what he meant.

I'd like to get off this ride now, thanks. It bites.