! -The Lord of the Rings - !

Tools    

YEEEEHAW! Saw the new trailer on TV last night, and the QuickTime file (30.3 MB) is sitting on my desktop right now. It's 2:51 long! Frickin' amazing. You even get a glimpse of the Balrog's foot, as well as plenty of shots of Moria, the Orcs, Legolas, Gimli (Son of Gloin), and the hobbits, of course. The Ring Wraiths look amazing, as do all the characters. I don't see even one character that appears to be miscast. In short: GO DOWNLOAD THE TRAILER!

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm soooooo excited...I feel like a child.I am seeing this as soon as it comes to my humble town.It's always fun to see movies like this in a packed house...I saw Batman,Interview with a vampire and some other huge releases in sold-out shows and it's so cool.As long as everyone is quiet and stuff.There's just something about the mood that sets the stage for the movie.

sickly excited: yes! Read the books: twice!
i might have to start a new "best movie of 2001" thread after that comes out and see how many change their votes.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Now With Moveable Parts
what about the Hobbit cartoon movie.I've seen that more than a dozen times.I love that thing down in the cave that Bilbo Baggins runs into.The one that says,"Yes my precious..."That's the real reason I'm excited to see this movie,because it's like my childhood repeating itself.I wish they would have started with the Hobbit,but I'll live.

Anyone see the 3-minute (roughly) trailer yet? I've seen it like a dozen times...it's amazing, and I've got it in glorious QuickTime. Anyway, I hear that there's an all-new (albeit shorter, I think) trailer attached to the VHS (not DVD, though) release of "Bridget Jones' Diary." Weird, eh? I think it's the only place you can find it right now, too. I wonder if they're leaking that mildly, and putting it on only that one type of that one rental, to see just how powerful word-of-mouth is for this flick...IE: see how much higher the rentals of that movie go as a result.

Guy
After seeing the long trailer, this looks like one hell of a film. It looks very faithful to the trilogy. Anyone else amazed at that shot where they were on a boat going through the mountains? Too bad that trailer gives out the impression that it's just a big action film, it may turn some people away. I'm still kinda mad that its PG-13, with a trilogy like these, it needs to be R to give the director freedom to do what he wants with it.

I disagree...if it's R, and then it won't make as much, and despite what Steve may tell you, how much money a film makes is *VERY* important. If LOTR kicks commercial a**, we'll see more films like it...so I'm going to be watching it's BO totals the whole time...hoping that it ends up doing well.

Anyway, I don't think anything will need to be sacrificed...the book was very PG-13...there's some violence in the battle scenes, but from what I understand, you do see things like Orc heads getting cut off...sort of like Braveheart, only they can sneak by with PG-13 because it's not humans dying...just semi human-looking monster dudes.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Where can the trailer be found? I am wanting to see it. Or are they already showing it before movies?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I don't know anything about LOTR but saw the preview at the movies this week and it looks pretty damn cool. I'm very excited to see it. I think the preview said it comes out December 14th.

I think it's either the 10th, or the 14th, in Britland...but the 19th everywhere else...although, I remember reading that it was going to be something like the first movie ever to be released worldwide on the same day. I hope it's earlier than the 19th, but for me, I don't think it will be.

I tried reading one of the "Ring" books a few years back, this twas a mistake on my behalf. I got bored like in the first chapter of it. I am wanting to see the movies though. Should make for a great trilogy. Make it fun for those of us who didn't have the patience to read the books.

ash
I need information or anything you know about it. Love it!!!!
Anyone just want to talk

excellent!
I was wondering, if someone has more trailers of the movies, i saw 1 but i wanna c more LMFD!

hihi btw impressive this new site man tjeez!

I don't care about Harry Potter at all and I thought Lucas so botched Episode I that the next installment holds little promise in my heart, but I've been looking forward to The Lord of the Rings since it was announced. Mick Jackson seems to be just the right guy for the job, and my hopes are high.

My Dad first read the trilogy to my brother and I when I was eight. Over one full Summer we'd sit together just about every night and listen. My Father had been a confirmed Tolkien nut since the '50s, and he engrained it in us at an early age (thanks, Pop!). I read The Lord of the Rings on my own for the first time when I was ten or eleven. Years later I even took a college course devoted to the trilogy - one of the easiest and most fun classes I ever enrolled in.

The casting for the movies seems good, the trailers look incredible, and I fully expect The Fellowship of the Ring to be a great movie. It had better be. Can hardly wait.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

ash, can I ask why you made two threads with the same subject? You can edit your post if'n you make a mistake, but don't create a totally new thread.

BTW, Welcome Aboard!!

ash
I didn't mean to post two threads, but I wasn't sure if the first one I put through went through as my computer crashed. Sorry!!!!

Anyway, the film looks awesome and the book about the movie is out. movies clips look great they're are exactly like I imagened, unbelivable. Jackson top class, i'd kiss him if I were a woman!!!
ash

ash
Pike do you think hte characters you've seen from clips of the film or www.lordoftherings.net, are exactly as you imagened them?
ash

Don't worry, I zapped the other thread. No biggie. Welcome to MovieForums, ash! Concerning the movie: As a child, I always loved the little LOTR cartoons...but when I heard the movie was coming out, I got pretty excited. This culminated when I decided to, at the very least, read the first book straight through (well, not the little historical intro...only part of that), knowing that if I did, I've love the movie all the more. I ended up reading books 1 and 2, and maybe 1/10th of book 3, before moving on to other things. Boy am I glad I did! Now this is definitely the most excited I've EVER been about a movie.

Same thing sort of happened with Harry Potter: I read all 4, mostly because I wanted to enjoy the movie more...and it's worked. I'm glad to have read them, and I'll be very glad to see them come to life.

ash: I know that wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer answer. I think a lot of characters are as I pictured them, or better. Now, I'm biased, because I'm young enough that I saw the cartoons before I read the books, so as far as I'm concerned, Aragorn has red skin, Saruman's voice is like (as someone else described it) a gecko with a sore throat, and Balrog is a giant bear-dog with wings and a whip ().

The other cartoons (I forget who made them) were better, though. They didn't portray Samwise as some goofy, bumbling fool...but rather, a naive, inexperienced, yet brave and loyal servant to Frodo. They had him down pat...no doubt about it. I also preferred their "version" of Gollum.

Characters in the movie...I'll take it one at a time.
  • Gandalf: Ian is good...very good. I'm a bit upset that they didn't get someone bigger...the book seems to make it clear that Gandalf, when not hunching over and such, is really a very large, intimidating person. Ian isn't all that tall...but it's no huge deal, seeing as how he's a terrific actor, and a huge Tolkien fan.
  • Frodo: YES! Wood is perfect. Perfect. You hear me? Perfect. He's got that look of terror and disbelief down pat. He looks like a normal little guy thrust into a situation completely beyond him, or anyone else he ever knew in The Shire. He looks youthful, too, as Frodo is supposed to.
  • Samwise: I can't say just yet. Samwise is captured in his attitude and manner more than he is in his appearance. From what I've seen, though, he looks meek, yet brave, when Frodo's life (or that of his friends) is in danger...which is exactly as it's supposed to be.

• Merry & Pippin: Honestly, I don't think much of these two...they're not very crucial, IMO, and I've never given much thought to their appearance. I'll have to seen them on screen before passing judgement.
  • Legolas: Very good! He looks a lot like an Elf, but rather than wimpy, as a man playing an Elf might look, he looks quick and agile, rather than weak. I'm also glad they opted for "forest clothes" as opposed to that incredibly girl white suit they had Legolas wearing in the Bakshi version (ack).
  • Gimli: not sure yet. This character is also a lot about attitude. Appearance looks okay (though not what I expected).
  • Boromir: Wasn't he supposed to have a Viking-style helmet? I thought that was in the book...but I could just be thinking of the cartoon again. I'm not sure. Anyway, he seems good...good actor (Sean Bean or something, isn't it?), and from the trailers, he does look like he's supposed to: a basically good man, tempted by power.

• Aragorn: Pretty good. Gruff, yet handsome. Looks experienced, but not old, either. Pretty well cast.
  • Galadriel (I might've spelt that wrong): Very good. As good as you're gonna get, anyway. No living human can live up to the way this woman is described in the books. Blanchett has a very Elvish look about her, though, so I'd call this a good choice.
  • Celeborn: I don't know who's playing him, to be honest.

• Elrond: Good, but, like Gandalf, I pictured him as a larger, more powerful man. Hugo Weaving is a fine actor, though, and he looks like an Elf as well.
  • Arwen: Pretty much perfect, IMO.
  • Gollum: Hmmm, I dunno. Haven't seen him yet, but the one sentence I heard ("My preciousssssss.....") was magnificent. Very creepy. I don't want Gollum to be like he was in the Bakshi version...kind of goofy and bumbling and whiny. I want him to be like the one in the other one (too lazy to find out what it was called), where he was more like a loose cannon. You were always thinking "When's he gonna snap and go nuts on me?"
So, the only others I can think of for now (in the first book, that is) would be Balrog, the Cave Troll, and the Orcs, basically (not counting smaller, less consequentical characters). Balrog, well, we've only seen his big, firey leg...which looks awesome. Moria is a character in and of itself, and it looks AMAZING. The Cave Troll looks pretty cool, but I'd never though a whole lot about what it was supposed to look like. The Orcs look fabulous...they've ever got several different races of Orc, just like the book! They look genuinely scary, too.

Less than a month away fellas..get your sleeping bags ready, your tents, heavy clothing, blankets, pillows, etc., go get in line for it now if you have to. I'm not that dedicated, but I think there will be someone out there that will probably be.

This has been a friendly reminder from your neighborhood spud...