Random questions about the site and future plans

Tools    

Serious Question: Are you going to model this site after IMDB now that you know their forums are gone and that their setup appeals to a lot of people?
I'm assuming, by this, that you mean making the movie pages themselves the focal point and the discussions ancillary? If so, yeah, definitely not. No plans to do that.

I might make the non-discussion content and information a little more prominent or something, but that would be so they can feed back into generating discussion. One of the principles I've stuck to throughout the entire site's history, and have no current plans to deviate from, is keeping discussion the core of the site. Pretty much all the goals I'm talking about

@Yoda, another good thing on this forum that I just thought of is that you don’t close down threads after a certain number of posts. One place I used to post closed down each thread after 1,000 posts & got very pissy if someone tried to resurrect the thread. You had to wait a certain period of time IIRC.

@Yoda, it would be interesting to know (though impossible to know all these years later) how many movie/tv threads there have been & how many non-movie/tv threads there have been.

Well, most threads are in the correct forum, so it wouldn't be hard to give you totals based on that. But there'd need to be some basic criteria, IE: how many are in the TV and Music forum (which is probably more TV than music, so maybe we can ballpark it as 60% of the total?) and how many are in all non-Game and non-Intermission forums, or something.

@Yoda, I only brought it up because you said on the 1st page here that you originally saw the “off-topic stuff as secondary to the site's goals.” I was just curious to see how the # of “off-topic” threads compares to the # of movie/tv threads. It would be interesting to know how far apart they are or even if they are far apart.

Also, if there's any easy way to export the data there and import it here, I'll definitely, definitely do that. Might not even end up being too hard, since we use the same data source.
This excites me. Would save soooo much work when you get the data stuff up and running for us.

@Yoda,I was just curious to see how the # of “off-topic” threads compares to the # of movie/tv threads. It would be interesting to know how far apart they are or even if they are far apart.
If the game threads are counted as "off-topic" then they're killing everything else. Easily the worst thing about the site.

@Yoda, I only brought it up because you said on the 1st page here that you originally saw the “off-topic stuff as secondary to the site's goals.” I was just curious to see how the # of “off-topic” threads compares to the # of movie/tv threads. It would be interesting to know how far apart they are or even if they are far apart.
Definitely depends on how you define each. That said, I've always been less concerned about the numbers than how people used the site. That is, if someone likes to talk about movies but also plays a lot of games (particularly if those games are sort of movie-related), I think of that very differently than I would if they weren't interested in movies at all. It's more of a general culture thing, I think.

People are welcome either way, it's just that now and then I'll have to make decisions about what to give priority to or take attention away from, and I want to be upfront about always tending towards the movie-centric side of those choices, be it about thread closures or what goes in Now Playing.

ADMIN EDIT: spun off from another thread,
right around this post.

On topic of change, I am curious on what drove the community in the early years.
Common interest, curiosity and community. Very simple really.

Much to Yoda’s chagrin, some of us never actually leave

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this site used to have an automatic spell checker that highlighted mis-spellings in red as you typed in the reply window? If so, what happened to it?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this site used to have an automatic spell checker that highlighted mis-spellings in red as you typed in the reply window? If so, what happened to it?

I still get the red underline for misspellings. (See the screenshot below where it shows that you misspelled "misspellings".)