Explain Your Top Ten

Tools    

Most MoFo-ers have a top ten...now tell us why they are your top ten.

My explanations will be coming shortly.

P.S.
Those of you who do not have a Top Ten List, go ahead and put down a few favorites and explain from there.

As you will see when I list my top 10 that I really am into Romantic Comedy/Dramas or Chick Flicks as some may call them. They are good for all occasions for sitting on the couch and eating a half gallon of ice cream after a breakup or for snuggling on the couch with that certain someone even though that certain someone if it is a guy might not want to watch the chick flick at all. To me that makes it more special as the guy is sacraficing to be with me. So that is why my top 10 list is the way it is.

Lord of all Fevers and Plague
1. A Clockwork Orange: As a kid, my parents did not let me watch this movie (and Cannibal Holocaust), needles to say, all the tabu made it even greater.

2.The Exorcist: The only movie that really scared me as a kid.

3.Jaws: I never looked at the sea the same again.

4.Brazil: It felt like watching a dream to me.

5.Descent: Did not expect nowadays a movie that would make me feel uncomfortably good.

6.Indiana Jones (Original Trilogy): Adventure at its best!

7.Star Wars (Original Trilogy):

8.The Usual Suspects: It fooled me! I wish I could erase my memory to watch it more often.

9.Dawn of the Dead (Original): Love zombies in shopping malls

10.Once Upon a Time in the West: Most complete and fulfilling western IMO.

My Top Ten isn't in order, I don't have a favorite of all time.

1. American Beauty

As I've posted in a different thread, this movie is what made me want to get into the film industry. Alan Ball is one of the best writers/directors of all time. I hope to accomplish something as amazing as American Beauty.

2. Equilibrium

Aside from the fact that Christian Bale is one of the most attractive male I have ever laid eyes on, the whole idea of the movie is brilliant. Not to mention the action. I trained in Tang Soo Do for just under four years which isn't a gun art, but the idea that one is just like a bow staff, just an extention of the hand, is really nifty. This movie also is what got me into poetry.

3. Fight Club

I read the book after watching the movie and Chuck P. is now one of my favorite authors. Of course, wonderful acting and wonderful directing with a solid story line. The relationships with the characters was done well. I hope to find my own Tyler Durden one day.

4. Donnie Darko

First off, Jake, Drew, and Noah are all in this movie which makes me happy. Donnie is such a good character and I have never been into the whole time traveling thing, but the way this movie played with time was simple and made me think. And on top of it all, there's self sacrifice which is something I've always been a sucker for.

5. The Crow

Best romantic revenge movie ever. That's all there is to it. It's beautiful.

6. Blade Runner

It works on so many different levels. I loved just about everything about it. Characters. Plot. Lighting. Idea. Everything

7. Point of No Return

I know this isn't the best film of all time, but I connect with it and have come to love it every much. I fell in love with Uncle Bob and started listening to Nina Simone.

8. Gingersnaps

The sisters put together is what I was in high school, although I had more friends. I dated a drug dealer and I wanted to be a werewolf...or at least something other that the mainstream teens which landed me in the loner intellects along with multiple different art classes.

9. What Dreams May Come

Beautiful movie, everything about it is beautiful. I love the idea of angels and heaven and hell soul mates...I suppose it's the romantic in me.

10. Chasing Amy

Aside from that it's a Kevin Smith film (I wanted to put Dogma up on here, but I just didn't have room) it was once again that romantic in me. The battle of a lesbian changing because she end up in love with a man is just...great Makes me smile every time I watch it.

Employee of the Month

1. T2: Hit it hard and reached almost everyone in the audience now and back then. Redefinition of action. James Cameron is the master of desaster, Arnold Schwarzenegger is an monument. When two people with this kind of strong willpower come together, there will be either great deeds done .... or great destruction will come - in this case it`s both. And it`s great. Breathtaking. Feministic. Tecnoid. Thrilling. Smart. Cool. Cyberpunk. Whatever. Love it. Plus: Great ideas. great storytelling and a little bit of humour.

2. Matrix: Another milestone in the history of action cinema. Fits the gap between the dying humourus blockbusters from the 90`s and all the modern CGI-fireworks that has followed. Some movies are not only must-seens and worthy of discussion, but are building up a world of their own. It`s very rare, but it happens. Matrix is a stroke of genius.

3. Once Upon a Time in the West

Could repeat the whole passage. Just exchange "humourus blockbusters" with "simple minded revenge flicks" and "modern CGI-fireworks" with "harsh antihero epics".

4. Independence Day:

It`s the perfect blockbuster. Love the design of the spaceships.

5. Titanic

Another great Cameron. Say it so, because it`s done like a painted picture from an renaissance master. Contains so many elements. Simple and complex at the same time, great dialogs, great actors. But most important of all: The struggle for perfection. Even the menus in the restaurant were accurate written. Larger than life.

6. The Departed

Crime is king and rats are rats. Generally mob movies are not my favourites, but this one is different. All of its parts fit together perfectly. One of this rare movies you can watch ten times - and you still will find something you`ve missed before. Absolut credible characters are roaming troughout a complicated storyline, which makes perfect sense. Every second line is a killer, the movie deserves the academy awards.

to be continued...

1. Citizen Kane -- simply because it's the best film ever made. Best camera work, best lighting, great story, tremendous cast mostly future classic stars then new to the movies, great scenes and images, and imaginitively approached from the perspective of a reporter on assignment to bring back the story of what made this "great man" tick. A rare delight from start to finish.

2. Double Indemnity -- probably the best of the film noir, with a great cast featuring the underappreciated Fred McMurray in one of the rare villian roles that he did so well. Also the always great Edward G. Robinson. And the toughest of the tough broads from that era, Barbara Stanwick. Based on a Cain mystery story. A great script with great performances.

3. The Best Years of Our Lives --One of the few films to look at soldiers returning from war and trying to adjust to peacetime. The whole concept came from a collection of photos of returning veterans in a popular magazine at the end of World War II. Great cast with the always first-rate Fredrick March with Mryna Loy as his wife; and the often underappreciated Dana Andrews in possibly their best roles ever. Yet the real star is an ex-GI who really did lose his hands in a training accident and became the only actor (at least at that time) to receive 2 Oscars for one role. Plus songwriter-great Hoagy Carmichael is one of the supporting actors, along with the always "slutty" Virginia May, and Steve Cochran, in a small but satisfyingly slimey role.

4. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre--great film directed by John Huston and co-starring his father, Walter, both of whom won Oscars for this film, the only father-son win for the same film ever. It also is probably the best role Tim Holt ever played before becoming just another Saturday afternoon cowboy star. And Bogart's greatest role as the crazed Fred C. Dobbs. Bogart's descent into madness is an amazing performance, yet there are times when Walter Huston steals the screen from him. Barton MacLane has a small but enjoyable part. Shot on location in Mexico, it also introduced Mexican actor Alfonso Bedoyu to US audiences.

5. On the Waterfront--a grity, powerful, tough story ripped from the front pages of that period, directed by Elia Kazan and starring Marlon Brando in likely his best role and working so well again with Karl Malden. The scene between method actors Brando and Rod Steiger is one of the best ever film and greatly boosted Steiger's career. Lots of soon-to-be-familar faces in the cast, including Neimiah Persoff who without a word of dialogue brings so much to his brief role as the cabbie driving Brando and Steiger in that key scene. As good as Brando, Steiger, Malden, and others were in this film, I'm always blown away by Lee J. Cobb's performance as he chews up the scenery.

6. The Maltese Falcon--Script written by John Huston, based on and closely following the book by Dashiell Hammett, my favorite mystery writer, starring Bogart in a role that helped cement his new role as a leading man after all the heavies he had played in so many movies. Great cast introducing Sydney Greenstreet, plus Peter Lorre and the always fun-to-watch Elisha Cook Jr. It was the first film John Huston ever directed and it's great from start to finish, primarily filmed in sequence with many scenes at key locations in San Francisco. Not a false moment from start to finish. Ward Bond and Barton MacLane are good as the cops Bogart toys with. Mary Astor is great playing against her usual type in films. Gladys George has a small but meaty part. Walter Huston played an uncredited role for no pay as the dying captain that brings the black bird to Spade's office.

7. The Caine Mutiny--taken from a best-seller book, with Bogart in yet another great role as a man losing control and with McMurray again doing a standout performance as a villain. With a good cast, including elevating Van Johnson's role to one of his best performances ever. Bit but interesting parts by Lee Marvin, Claude Atkins, and Jerry Paris. But next to Bogie himself, the standout performance is by Jose Ferrer, another actor who I think never got near the public acclaim he deserved. I've always wondered if Ferrer had really broken his arm and was wearing a real cast in that film or if putting him in that cast was just a stroke of acting genius.

8. Shane--Gawd, I love the fight scenes in this film! You can almost smell the blood and sweat! And when Alan Ladd and Van Heflin are fighting outside Heflin's cabin, the cattle and horses are going wild with panic! Always wondered how they got such realistic performance from cows and horses--learned later they had a man in a bear suit just out of camera-view that was frightening the livestock! George Stevens was one hell of a director to come up with that. The way they shot the scenes that seemed to bring the distant mountains right down into the small farm and town. Plus Jack Palance as the cold-blooded killer who guns down Elisha Cook Jr. in the town's muddy street--it's one of the most memorable scenes in film.

9. Angels with Dirty Faces and The Roaring Twenties (tie)--both have James Cagney at the top of his form as Hollywood's leading gangster and also Bogart back when he was always playing the rat in gangster films. These also feature the best death scenes ever by Cagney (even better than White Heat, as good as that was.) At the end of Angels with Dirty Faces, he plays a coward who they have to drag to the electric chair. The question remains, did Rocky really break or did he grant priest Pat O'Brien's last request to play the coward so that the young members of the Dead End Kids would not continue to look up to a gangster. (You could extend this to a three-way tie with Dead End, which introduced those young actors in roles they recreated for several years in gangster films and comedies. It also has Bogart as a tough gangster, Al Jenkins as his sidekick, and Joel McCrae, an out-of-work architect who dreams of a better life for that neighborhood. Marjorie Main has a short but meaty role as the gangster's mother.)

In the Roaring Twenties, Cagney dies more normally, shot down in the streets and dying in the snow at bottom of the steps of a church. It also has one of the great closing lines of any film. When the police ask, "Who was he?", his long-suffering girlfriend answers, "He used to be a big shot!."

10. Another tie, with One, Two, Three! slightly ahead as one of the funniest films (and plots) I've ever seen. It was Cagney's last real film (despite some cameo roles later in his life) and he was at his comedic best. Unfortunately, it was this film that convinced him to retire when he had trouble delivering a lengthy and fast-paced speech in one scene. It's a great spoof of capitalism, communism, and people in post-war Berlin.

Another film that I like almost as much is Viva Max! in which Peter Ustinov plays a modern Mexican general, Maximillian, who to impress his girlfriend decides to take his soldiers to San Antonio and recapture the Alamo. His small army is less than enthusiastic to say the least, not wishing to get shot to promote their commander's love life, and so it's up to his loyal sergeant, John Astin, to keep them in line behind thier commander. Jonathon Winters is in command of the Texas National Guard activated in response to the takeover, while dentist Kenneth Mars heads a private right-wing militia determined to retake the Alamo from the Mexican Army. Ustinov's production company almost went to war with the Daughters of the Texas Republic who operate and closely guard the honor of the Alamo. There were some funny things that went on in San Antonio when they were making that film that never got into the movie.

It's a better Alamo movie than that silly sack of stuff John Wayne put together some years earlier.

What also makes them good is that only three of the films--Shane, The Caine Mutiny, and Viva Max--are in color.

Welcome to the human race...
I like movies, and the top ten are the ones I like the most. That's why they're in my top ten.

Employee of the Month
Iro is too cool to explain his top ten. But he is not cool, to explain why he will not explain it. Selfexplaining. Or like Kirk Lazarus once said: "I don`t explain my top ten. My top ten explains me."

Welcome to the human race...
You know it, dude.

But seriously, seeing as most of my current top ten is currently unconfirmed (with the exception of my top two or three, perhaps) I can't really give a specific answer. Maybe once I bother to redo my Top 100 Movies list, I'll probably have a decent answer ready, but until then, half-assed sarcasm will have to suffice.

Hi guys!

My top ten (the movies that I like the most)

1. T2 (definetly, Arnold rules)
2. The Matrix
3. Die Hard 1
4. Die Hard with a vengeance
5. The Godfather II
6. The Jackal ( I am Bruce Willis fan )
7. Con Air
8. Red Dragon
9. True Lies
10. Rambo 4

Hi guys!

My top ten (the movies that I like the most)

1. T2 (definetly, Arnold rules)
2. The Matrix
3. Die Hard 1
4. Die Hard with a vengeance
5. The Godfather II
6. The Jackal ( I am Bruce Willis fan )
7. Con Air
8. Red Dragon
9. True Lies
10. Rambo 4
Gotta ask--have you ever seen the original The Jackal, made back before anyone ever heard of Bruce Willis?

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Okay, I'm game. I saw this thread and immediately thought, "way too much work here," but it might be fun to actually explain my Top Ten. I'll start with no. 10:

10. Shaun of the Dead

Once in a while, a film comes along that captures the essence of why we love certain genres. This is one of them. This parody of zombie films was made with love and humor that makes this a joyous film even when people are being eaten by zombies. When the Simon Pegg character is walking the same street he walks every morning and he is so in his “zone” that he misses the zombies all around him is classic, hysterical stuff. I’m not British but I can get the basic joke that anything can be solved in a British pub. It doesn't hurt that there are more laugh out loud moments in this movie than any other I can remember. A rather perfect film, imo. And I’m not even a zombie horror fan.

9. Moulin Rouge!

This is another example of a film that captures the essence of a genre and does so in such an audacious way, you wonder how anyone had the nerve to get away with it. First, can a movie be more romantic than this? I want Christian to love me the way he loves Sateen. There is no compromise here in terms of romance. Second, can a movie have more over the top set pieces, costumes? Third, and most importantly, how about the sheer bravery of recycling old songs? Who would have thought that "Roxanne" could be turned into one of the sexiest tango dance sequences I have ever seen? What's even more thrilling is that the song is intermixed with Christian's brooding which makes this particular sequence captivating, romantic, and thrilling. Ewan and Nicole are superb here. Nicole makes me cry every time she says, "I just couldn't do it any more..." as she hugs Christian. This is a daring movie. Good for Baz that he got it done and good for us that we embraced it.

8. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

What a joy this movie is -- a rare combination of the cerebral mixed with good old fashioned romance. This movie accomplishes what many independent films attempt but don’t quite deliver. This is a clever screenplay by the king of clever, Charlie Kaufman, that doesn’t get bogged down with dense symbolism that is hard to follow. There is just enough romance and genuine emotion from the two lead actors to infuse the cleverness with just the right emotion to keep it from going over the brink, much like other Kaufman vehicles do. Jim Carrey is marvelous here and so is Kate Winslet. It also boasts a first rate soundtrack.

7. Gladiator

My biggest guilty pleasure. There is no denying that the screenplay isn’t exactly the best one out there; nor is this the best historical drama I have ever seen. This film rests solely on the shoulders of a smoldering, brooding Russell Crowe. His Maximus is the kind of hero who is uncompromising and true to his values. I cannot really explain why I enjoy his battles in the Coliseum (not exactly a huge fan of violence), but that sequence where he rallies the gladiators together is just so much fun. I can quote the “I am Maximus…” line, along with the end dialogue between Max and Commodous. I don’t know why. I just can. It’s the greatest chick flick of the last decade. Women swoon over this movie and I’m a woman. Yep. It’s as simple as that.

6. Schindler’s List

Liam Neeson’s final moment where he breaks down wondering if he could have saved just “one more,” is probably the most heart wrenching moment in any movie I have ever seen. Spielberg can’t help himself – no matter how sad his subject matter is, he has to make a movie that has a bit of hope in it. That’s his way. There is something strangely uplifting about this very sad story. It is a film that reminds you that anyone can be a hero. The man who made a career out of reminding us of our childhood graduated to making an adult film that retains the heart of a child’s belief in mankind.

5. Brokeback Mountain

What a shame so many cannot enjoy this most powerful film, anchored by a brilliant performance by Heath Ledger. If anyone doubted him before this, it should have put those doubts to rest. Of course, for many, his brilliance was seen later in TDK. More than anything, I’m thrilled this movie was even made. I’m even more thrilled when I realize that it may have changed a few minds out there. When Ennis grabs that shirt at the end, it’s all I can do not to break down. The film is heartbreaking and daring. The Academy screwed up. Enough said.

4. Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy

The first of two trilogies on my list. Movies are first and foremost, meant to tell stories that transport us to other worlds. They are meant to be fun. There is nothing more fun, imo, than watching Johnny Depp create a character that is, by far, my favorite movie character of all time. Maybe it’s the way he runs with his hands flailing. Or maybe it is that slight slur in his delivery. Or maybe it is the way he wears his hair. Or all those rings. Or maybe – just maybe – it’s because he is a “good man” under all those pirate trappings. I even like Elizabeth and Will. Yes, the movies got a bit convoluted and a bit too big, but no matter. It’s like making an ice cream sundae with all the trappings and then realizing that you can’t eat it all. It doesn’t really matter at that point, it was tasty anyway. And yes, I will be watching the next installment because I like ice cream sundaes with a bit of Depp sprinkled on top.

3. City Lights

Chaplin is a god. His brilliance is on full display here in his most romantic movie. That final scene is sublime moviemaking – we know everything by the visual medium that is known as film. The touching of the hand. The look in her eyes as she remembers him. The look in his eyes as he holds the flower in his teeth. The king of pathos and comedy makes his most emotional movie here. Oh, and it’s also very funny, especially the boxing scene. Timeless in its humor and in its heart.

2. Dances With Wolves

I’ve described my love of this film many times, since Costner is not exactly loved here. No matter, I get it. This is the film that made me fall in love with film again. It’s epic. It’s beautiful. It’s a simple story. It’s a “love letter” to the American Indian. It’s gorgeous to look at and full of compelling moments. I saw it 10 times in the theatre; I kept going back because I wanted to capture once again how I felt watching it the first time. This movie is magical to me and I’m not sure why. I think because it is truly a myth, a rewriting of history if you will. It asks us to think about how we treat others and how we treated the Native Americans. It makes us wonder if it could have been different. For some that makes the film ring false but I say there is nothing false about what is at the heart of this movie -- an appreciation and celebration of a people.

1. Lord of the Rings trilogy

Is this the most labor intensive film ever made? It’s big. It’s long. It’s…. well, amazing, wonderful, entertaining, thrilling, heart wrenching, and captivating. I’ve read the books. I’ve seen the movies. Yet, the usual, “the book is better” mantra I don’t speak here. They’re both great. Each of them. How is that? I think it is because Peter Jackson knew he was making a movie, and he did, using the core essence of the book and making sure that he didn’t mess with the characters. I could go on and on, but I’m a bit tired now, so I’ll just say that when Aragorn says, “You bow to no one,” the entire trilogy came rushing into me. I cried like a baby. I had been taken on an extraordinary journey that may never ever be repeated as long as I live. This is why we go to the movies. This is once in a lifetime stuff here.

And yes, this was WAY TOO MUCH WORK, lol. I hope someone reads it.

It did prevent me from cleaning the house, though.

I think my top ten has changed since I was last here, been rewatching a lot of movies. Number one is still the same and as I'm sure I've said before it's because I can't imagine any film there except that one.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Godfather Part ll

De Niro introduced to the Film for one. Not only that, how we were transported back to a Family that started out in the business of extortion, murder and the rackets due to necessity, rather than greed. How Michael becomes more vicious than his Father, and the breakdown of his marriage with, Kay. And Fredo, “poor bloody Fredo”. Getting the kiss of death from your own brother, and knowing it’s only a matter of time before he leaves this mortal coil.

The Godfather

The Opening Marriage sequence with his only daughter, Connie. Can only be described as a Masterpiece. “The Don”, not being able to refuse a request on his daughter’s wedding day, and the parasites scrambling to get their requests met. Of course we see the famous horses head scene, but the underlying tension between Michael and his brother Sonny and how Michael really doesn’t approve of his Father’s dealings. Though most of all is how Michael comes to his Father’s and Family’s rescue.

Mad Max

It exploded on our Cinema’s here in Australia. Who this Leather clad Man out for revenge after his wife and child were run down? All the things that Aussies love to see, Cars, crashes and violence…kidding. A franchise of our own had come to Australia. For me though it had to be the GT Ford, as my family were all into racing and such.

Unforgiven

I loved how Clint was just doing this one last job to make a start for these youngsters. All the while having his, what may have been his nagging wife along for the ride..lol. A western that was more than western. Storytelling, great characters and then finally bloody vengeance.

Seven

Being a Catholic and years ago attending Mass, I was most impressed how the sins were dealt with…lol. I suppose why this film is in my Top 10, even though calculated the ending…sought of? It was powerful cinema. I’m usually not a Gwyneth Paltrow fan, but even I shed a tear as Brad did.

Raging Bull

I know people like this, and I also know what it’s like to have inner demons. Which most people do, but the way De Niro portrayed La Motta was a testament to his class as an actor. I watched the first time with a couple of buddies, and suffice to say, we were gob smacked. His wife copped more abuse than any of his fighters and the music as it led up to it was bloody spooky, more than any horror flick could try to emulate.

Apocalypse Now

Long as hell, but the few times I’ve watched it, I must have been in one of those places where you just wanna go to that weird place. Was there an underlying point to this Movie? I still don’t know. I realise Sheen was on a Mission to kill Brando. I wasn’t around during the Vietnam War, but what I do know, the cinematography was fantastic and the different characters have been etched in history.

Shawshank Redemption

Triumph over evil. Courage. Don’t underestimate anyone. Empathy. Greed. Friendship. Sadness. This is why ‘Shawshank Redemption is in my Top 10’.

Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump shows you can do anything with the skills God gave you. What I really loved about this Film was the everlasting Love between Forrest & Jenny. People, who say, Jenny, just used Forrest need their mouths washed out with soap. She didn’t want to hurt, Forrest. Get it through your thick skulls people..lol!

Good Will Hunting

I knew a guy similar to this, well! he was extremely intelligent. He too, grew up in a rough neighbourhood and was into all soughts of criminal activities. He never finished High School as he was kicked out for numerous fights with fellow students and even a teacher. He is doing great now, if you were interested.? But yeah, I identified with Will, not as myself, but as a good mate who had massive potential though was wasting it on booze, fighting and criminal activities. He too, had a rather abusive childhood. Also, being a huge fan of Robin Williams (his stand up) I was very surprised to see him play such a straight lace character.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
You can check out a more in depth explaination naturally in The Royal 100, but for the sake of discussion:

Air Force One
One of the most well put together movies of every seen and PACKED with suspense. The cast is great starring my ever-dashing Harrison Ford. Oldman's performance can't go without recognition in its quality. The script is great and the story is fascinating. Peterson's ability to pull everything together into this terrific movie is fantastic. Other than a few "like that would ever happen" things I could nit-pick about there isn't anything not to like.

Field of Dreams
"When you believe the impossible, the incredible can come true." This is the tagline, the moral of the story here, and it is more important to me than I could ever explain. Faith is enormously important to me and this movie is a touching story that highlights it. I love the actors and their chemistry. The magical sort of charm this movie has makes it feel "homey", and it just has a special place in my heart.

Titanic
As I have said before: LONG STORY. Personal feelings and attachments aside this is a tremendous movie. It's got love, frustration, tragedy, suspense, humor, a chase scene, icebergs, evil fiancees, and MORE. There are some people who think this film is overrated, but there's no changing their minds. However, those who have seen it and understand its grandeur and appeal know just what I'm talking about and how much there is to love here.

It's a Wonderful Life
This movie has the power to put in me the Christmas spirit, make me smile and fill me with compassion, but also cheer me up and give me a good feeling of hope. Jimmy Stewart's performance in Frank Capra's treasure is phenominal. No matter how much cheese and Capra-corn, this movie has earned its place in the hearts of millions. Me included.

Die Hard
Speaking of the Christmas spirit! There is no better action flick. No one provides better action wit and charm than Bruce Willis. No one is better at being evil and cool at the same time than Alan Rickman. There is no movie with more annoying characters/bad guys. Simply, hardcore action/adventure doesn't get better than Die Hard. Which reminds me that I haven't seen in about two months. I think that's a record (aside from when I gave it up for Lent )

Cool Hand Luke
I don't think I could fit my explanation into a short summary for this one. Everything is superb in this gritty prison drama starring the remarkably talented Paul Newman. Kennedy and Martin are PERFECT for their supporting roles, and Luke is such a fascinating character in an inspiring story of determination.

You Can't Take It with You
Light hearted family fun at its best. Capra assembled such an amazing cast of actor/actresses to play the quirky but lovable characters. I can't believe sometimes how I put off watching this gem (although it's nothing compared to the story surrounding my number one pick).

Charade
This movie has ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING for me. Mystery, Comedy, Romance, Suspense are all at the top of my list and are spun flawlessly together here by Donen. Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, George Kennedy, and James Coburn are the headliners of the cast. Grant and Hepburn's charms send absolutely electric sparks shooting around with a twist ending that's hard to see coming.

Only Angels Have Wings/Holiday (tie)
These two films seem to fit perfectly into my life. One always cheers me up while the other sends me on an emotional rollercoaster. Both are fine lesser known classics that are underrated. Not to mention, the characters and I have a lot in common.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
I could go into it, but something sort of speak for themselves. A simply tremendous movie that is very special to me.