If You Could Change an Ending...

Tools    

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding Nightcrawler, Camo.
That's fine but my point was that you were supposed to feel angry at his success so the ending actually did work for you. The filmmaker elicited the response from you that he was intending.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, gotta side with Camo on this one. The ending's supposed to piss you off because of the lack of justice.

It's interesting how so many of the answers in this thread have to effectively disregard what the rest of the movie is laying down in terms of thematic development. A story is a thesis and its ending is a concluding argument, so a film's ending has to drive home the point that it's been building towards the entire time in order to work properly. I can understand feeling invested in a protagonist and being upset when they die, but the film wouldn't be the same if they had lived instead. There's no good reason for Tony to survive the ending of Scarface while the T-800 allowing itself to be terminated at the end of T2 is the logical end point of its heroic arc that acknowledges how there's no logical reason for it to be allowed to exist. Similarly, it's not like every villain has to get their just desserts for a film to work either (as is the case with No Country for Old Men and Nightcrawler).

That being said, I do wonder if that means that I'd change my earlier takes on both Knocked Up and Juno.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)- Nazis should have done a mistake to be defeated.
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)- Cliffhanger should have been resolved.
No Country for Old Men (2007)- final speech should have been cut out.

Welcome to the human race...
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)- Nazis should have done a mistake to be defeated.
They did, it was called "opening the Ark".

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)- Cliffhanger should have been resolved.
Should it? It fit the film's comical caper vibe and worked as a homage of sorts to The Italian Job.

No Country for Old Men (2007)- final speech should have been cut out.
So the film should've just ended with Chigurh? That could work, but the speech is still worth keeping.