Writer's Strike Discussion

Tools    

The threat of a writer's strike has been looming over the TV and Film industries for several weeks now.

A brief summary of the topic is available Here.

Another recent article from the LA Times, Here.

As an aspiring screenwriter myself, I understand how the writer's feel as if they need to protect their interests for the shifting technologies.

But i might be swaying more towards the side of the industry on this one. Internet reruns, downloads, podcasts and the like have yet to be fully analyzed for their monetary value. The industry doesnt yet know if the internet will continue to remain a viable option for distribution, and how it would work.

Perhaps the writers need to take a step back.

And finally, the last thing i think this country needs is more reality television, a genre which debatably arose gradually from the last writer's strike in 1988. :shudder:

Any thoughts?

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Zeiken
Any thoughts?
Reality TV is the toilet of television.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm usually on the side of the writers in these things. They're already the worst paid and least respected members in the whole entertainment chain. And yet they're also the backbone -- where everything starts.

Novelists, screenwriters, poets -- all underpaid, all with trampled rights. I'm all for protecting their rights across different media.

Novelists, screenwriters, poets -- all underpaid, all with trampled rights. I'm all for protecting their rights across different media.
As well you should be. I just dont think a strike is the proper way to go about this particular issue. We need more time to develop the internet as a method of distribution before things can be nailed out.

And if, in the future things have slowed down in terms of video technology and the writers have still not found a compromise, then a strike would be necessary.

It's just so detrimental to the industry on the whole to have to pull from a stockpile of material.

Well, while everyone tries to "develop the internet as a method of distribution," what do writers do in the meantime? A LOT of damage could be done to their rights before everything gets sorted out.

And once those precedents are set, good luck going back to something more stringent/protective.

I'm not a big fan of strikes, but when rights are the issue, it becomes a touchy subject for me.

I'm not a big fan of strikes, but when rights are the issue, it becomes a touchy subject for me.
No one is making the writers work 12 hour workdays in poorly ventilated factories for less than minimum wage.

The issue is residuals. I am a writer myself, but I would be in favor of eliminating residuals and increasing the initial lump sum. Unfortunatly the industry cannot offer a deal like this quite yet, because, as I said, things havn't beed fleshed out yet.

But i agree- some things are indeed worth striking for.

...And if you ask me, everyone in the entire industry from writing to directing to acting to producing is getting paid way too much.

I dunno if I'd give up residuals (or royalties if we're talking about novels, which I know we're not). If a movie really takes off, and that writer settled for a slightly larger lump sum initially with no residuals, he's screwed.

Most writers balk at the concept of selling all rights up front (which is what it sounds like if you say "no residuals"). I doubt many writers would go for your idea.

And I guess I'm already assuming everyone in the entertainment industry is overpaid. But, within that system, writers often get paid way less than everyone else, despite being a crucial link in the chain.

Zeik, if you don't support the strike where do you stand? Are you in the Guild? What alternative do you propose to this strike?

Originally Posted by Zeiken
As well you should be. I just don't think a strike is the proper way to go about this particular issue. We need more time to develop the internet as a method of distribution before things can be nailed out.
You mean like the deal they made in 1988 over VHS? Because the Studios and producers kept insisting video was an "unproven" market, the WGA eventually settled for about .3% (and that's not 3 percent, that's three-tenths of a percent) on the sale of each tape. This was when tapes were sold almost exclusively to the rental market, and each one ran from about $50 to $100 a pop. By the time DVD came around a decade later each unit was selling for $15 to $25 and the video market is far more profitable each year than the theatrical and even broadcast revenues. But the WGA has been stuck with this same cheap-ass deal since 1988. They don't want to lock into something likewise shortsighted in 2008 for another "unproven" market only to have it very quickly outdated and outmoded and be stuck with the short straw again.

And even if the WGA took another punk-ass deal again for the sake of getting things moving, the DGA (directors) and SAG (actors) are also due to renegotiate their deals soon in regards to internet, and if they aren't happy with what they're offered or the terms of the WGA deal they could just as easily go on strike themselves.

So...yeah.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holden, what are your thoughts on a resolution? It seems that as of now there is little to no movement on any issue. Do you see any hope that this won't go on for a better part of this year?

Beware The Probe!
Well, it seems Marvel Studios and Lionsgate have resolved their writers strike issues.

Newsarama link

At least there's some hope on the horizon.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This is good news for Canadians......but ****** for my viewing experience.

Suspect's Reviews

In the Beginning...
I'm paraphrasing (because he removed it) the signature of a member who posts on another forum I frequent, because it's as pertinent to this topic as it is hilarious:

If you are actually dumb enough to believe the WGA are the bad guys in the current Hollywood strike, then stay away from me because that kind of stupid is like syphilis.
I wouldn't take my position as far as the above, but for the record, I do side with the WGA on this one. Perhaps the issue of Internet residuals is a little too nebulous at the moment to finally champion the kickback Hollywood writers should have been enjoying all along, but still... something needs to be done before they get screwed again. And without the strike, they would have.

I totally agree with the Sleezemeister! I just hope that public sentiment doesn't turn on the writers after a few more months of no new TV

In the Beginning...
I just hope that public sentiment doesn't turn on the writers after a few more months of no new TV
You and me both. That would just be selfish and unfair. But here's hoping people actually do a little research on the issue and see that these writers really do deserve more.

Atleast there are a few new episodes of House in the hopper...

You and me both. That would just be selfish and unfair. But here's hoping people actually do a little research on the issue and see that these writers really do deserve more.

Precisely. It's easy to just say, "Gee, those picky writers! Get back to work so I can watch new 'Lost' episodes!"

But there are real issues here, and the world of writing is changing because of the Internet. If these writers don't get some of these basics rights issues resolved now, it'll only get harder to backtrack later.

In fact, really, they should have tackled these issues years ago.

The threat of a writer's strike has been looming over the TV and Film industries for several weeks now.

A brief summary of the topic is available Here.

Another recent article from the LA Times, Here.

As an aspiring screenwriter myself, I understand how the writer's feel as if they need to protect their interests for the shifting technologies.

But i might be swaying more towards the side of the industry on this one. Internet reruns, downloads, podcasts and the like have yet to be fully analyzed for their monetary value. The industry doesnt yet know if the internet will continue to remain a viable option for distribution, and how it would work.

Perhaps the writers need to take a step back.

And finally, the last thing i think this country needs is more reality television, a genre which debatably arose gradually from the last writer's strike in 1988. :shudder:

Any thoughts?

I'm all for labor going to the mat with capital every so often just to keep the studios from getting too comfortable with their positions--beats going to the mattresses for another scrwing. So far the TV season has not been noticeably any worse than for the last several years.

I'm for the working guy, especially those capable of crafting a good script. Besides, management will find someway to pass the costs on to the public and still short the writers in some other fashion (I mean, which set of the studio books are they going to work from in calculating how much money is due the writers?).

It's not just studios who pull those stunts, rufnek. If you're a published novelist, good luck getting actual figures on book sales from your publisher. They have very convoluted ways of calculating your royalties, and of course it's in math only they understand.

Meanwhile, they'd have no product to sell if it weren't for the writers. Low guy on the totem pole, as usual.