Attack Of the Remakes!

Tools    

Get off my island
Real originals would be good to see, but don't dismiss remakes out of hand just because they are reamakes. Some can be very good, and of course, the original may not be satisfactory to the person who wishes to remake it. He feels he could do a better job, etc. Even with remakes like the Ring and Vanilla Sky, they are made to be more accessible to english speaking crowds. You can very well say language, whatever means nothing in the context of art, a good film, but most americans, given the choice between seeing the Ring and Ringu, would choose the Ring. Give the people what they want. What the people seem to want is sequels and remakes.

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

vanilla sky was a remake i never knew that *hangs head in shame*

Get off my island
t was a remake of Open your Eyes

YoUr FrIeNd &TrUsTeD aDvIsOr
yes yes yes. remakes are sooo unoriganal. hence the term i guess. but for real though. very few remakes are worth the time and effort it took to make. not to mention the money on some of them.....I don't know I feel soo ....remade

I hadwriten a rant on this topic not a week ago on my own thread. sorry if you wrote it first I should look around a lot more I guess.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by n7of9
vanilla sky was a remake i never knew that *hangs head in shame*
Kong suggests you see the original version. The only major difference between the two is that the original version was actually good.

Kong is getting rather tired of remakes, sequels, and adaptations, but what an we do? Studios don't like to take chances with new material; they want the tried and true, and since audiences often don't go out in droves to original films, who can blame them?

soo very very very very sad...but true.
originally potsed by KONG: and since audiences often don't go out in droves to original films, who can blame them?
originally posted by kong

Analysis of the Top 10 grossing U.S. films for the years 1999-2001.

A = Adaptation
R = Remake
S = Sequel or Prequel
O = New Original

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace S
The Sixth Sense O
Toy Story 2 S
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me S
The Matrix O
Tarzan A
The Mummy R
Runaway Bride O (There is another older film by the same name, but Kong doesn't think this is a remake.)
The Blair Witch Project O
Stuart Little A

40% original.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas A
Cast Away O
Mission: Impossible II S
Gladiator O
What Women Want O
The Perfect Storm A
Meet the Parents R
X-Men A
Scary Movie O
What Lies Beneath O

50% Original.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone A
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring A
Shrek A
Monsters, Inc. O
Rush Hour 2 S
The Mummy Returns S
Pearl Harbor O
Ocean's Eleven R
Jurassic Park III S
Planet of the Apes R

Only 20% original! That's awful!

wow!

that kinda makes me ill.

I like "Vanilla Sky", it was pretty darned good. I hear many movie watchers express dislike for this film. I don't know why. The story makes very little sense. I have seen it twice and still have no clue what the story is about, apparently Tom Cruise character is travelling through time and is trying to stop the Kennedy assassination. He proves unsuccessful, but the scene where he protests the Vietnam War is truly powerful, Oliver Stone did fine work here.

Rock & Roll.

Focker

I must become Caligari..!
Originally posted by Kong
Shrek O
Shrek is a Adaptation
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

IMHO the biggest crime in all of remake history is going to be the Italian Job.
That is THE greatest Brit-flick in existence and from what i have seen in the trailer it looks like it is going to be awful.
Im not sure if you guys are predominately from the US so you may not have seen the original Italian Job with Michael Caine in it, if thats the case you really should try and find it, its a great film

Originally posted by Hondo333

Shrek is a Adaptation
Thank you. It has been duly noted on the list.

Why am I here?
I am going to cry my eyes out.... Americans driving around in mini's, in a serious gangster movie it's just not going to work. Why don't they change the car's to Volvo’s and change the name to the Idaho Job then everyone would be happy. It's like Stalone in Get Carter all over again. Why?... Why?... can't Hollywood leave well alone. I mean can't they leave classic british cinema where it belongs cheap and british I can see it now;

Carry On New York (2005)

Strarring Brad Pitt,
Jennifer Love Whatever
Sameual L Jackson

....Then again maybe not.

Sic Networks

DonJuan de la Nooch
I found out that they are planning on making a "Bewitched" movie. So far they got Nicole Kidman to play Samantha Stephens.
They are trying to get Jim Carrey to play Darren. It's bad enough they are coming out with a Starskey and Hutch movie. Is anything sacred anymore? What's next, Dukes of Hazzard the movie?

Why am I here?
I heard somewhere they was going to do a Dukes Of Hazard remake it's just a matter of time.

I got nothing against remakes. If the remake is actually a quality film, then nothing can go wrong.

Never conform, never compromise....
I have to agree with that statement. Now of course, when you first hear of a remake you may shudder, BUT, there are several times a movie is remade that was not all that popular in North America, but after the release of the remake many people will want to see the oiginal and may seek it out. In many cases they may like the original more, even after seeing the new one first, but they would not have even heard of it if not for the remake. Also in some cases (Like the upcoming Hulk) they were unable to do the movie the justice that the directors felt it deserved.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

The ultimate in cinematic travesties is the upcoming remake of John Frankenheimer's brilliant MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, worse still is that Denzel Washington may well be onboard for it.

The trouble with remakes is they dumb down any sense of originality that featured in the originals and unfortunately go along way to underselling the true creators of genuine cinema.

The Thing was the last decent remake that actually added anything to the original or furthered the original concept.

Things like Vanilla Sky, Ring etc are just plain revolting taking in both cases superb ideas that are well executed and turning them into below par rehashs that the braindead masses eat up.

Worse still many like these films and check out the original and honestly believe the cover versions are better because there in english or colour.

A scary world and a pitiful film industry to support it makes it so there is only about 2 or 3 films a year made in the uS that contain original, intelligent and stuimulating ideas that are worth watching. They are generally not advertised, seldom run for longer than a week at the cinema and are generally ignored by the masses. (Donnie Darko, May, Rodger Dodger etc)

Dont even get me started on sequels, prequels and knock offs............to much uninspired commercially based crap to begin.