The Adventures of Tintin

Tools    

what do you guys think of the new tin tin movie?

"He has all the time in the world ... "
It's out in Britland already? Is that anywhere near Worcestershire? I'm a bit ambivalent about going to see it. I used to watch the animation/cartoon when I was very young on TV. All I can remember about that is that Tin Tin was always running somewhere & that bloody little white dog yelping all the time. What cartoon's next for Hollywood to bring to the big screen; Noggin the Nog & Dangermouse?

so whatever response you get will have to be limited to the Britlanders, more or less.
Discrimination.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm not going to see it on account of it being Belgian...

Semper Fooey
When I was in the dentist office as a kid they had Humpty Dumpty Magazine in the waiting room and it had Tin Tin serialized in there and it was the only thing interesting in the stupid magazine. It wasn't even in color, maybe two color or something. I would look at it because there wasn't anything to do. It seemed okay, but that was my entire exposure to Tin Tin. He was never a big deal in the United States.

EDIT My memory was off, it was in Children's Digest

My mother said that this movie looks like it has a little of that there greenscreen stuff in it.

So I told her it was animated and she said "no it's not."

I don't know if anyone is interested in this New Yorker article:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...logists-1.html

I can still remember & hear that bad, rather peremptory, English voice-over to the original cartoon series in my head ...

At least you know now where '80s New Romantics 'The Thompson Twins' got their name from ... I kid you not.

I don't know if anyone is interested in this New Yorker article:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...logists-1.html

I can still remember & hear that bad, rather peremptory, English voice-over to the original cartoon series in my head ...

At least you know now where '80s New Romantics 'The Thompson Twins' got their name from ... I kid you not.

There are also these articles about how peter jackson marketed WETA to speilberg, its pretty hilarious.

Oh and then there is also confirmation that he will also direct the sequel if there is one.

@vickylin714, thanks, that was interesting. Simon Pegg as one of the Thompson Twins eh? I bet he enjoyed doing that. I am not sure how this movie will be received in the UK, I mean Tin Tin was OK when I was about five, I just don't know what demographic it is being aimed at. Most people in the UK who are familiar with Tin Tin would probably have first seen the Belvision animation.

I don't see this film doing particularly that well in the States either, as it seems that virtually no one there has heard of Herge's Adventures of Tin Tin let alone Belvision Studios.

Although, according to IMDb the Belvision cartoon version was shown in the US in the mid 1960s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0960172/

In fact, in my experience, most Americans have never even heard of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Most tell me that, to them, 'Skippy' is some form of *peanut butter. I don't know how they got through their childhoods without watching Skippy at least once! I wonder what Skippy's doing now?

*Peanut butter: a form of inedible spread putatively consisting of peanuts.

i'll be waiting it's reminds me Indian Jones movie or animation about young Indian Jones

I just saw it tonight, and i'm happy And Cenydd Ros I see why you'r mom had a hard time since specially one of the characters were so well made that he lookes comepletely like a true human. You should keep in mind, if you don't know the cartoons, that it was for kids, and the plot therfore isn't too complicated. I don't know the three stories they combined to create the movie, but I think they succeded(?) in combining them to a fluent story. I think it's a great and loveable movie!

Semper Fooey
@vickylin714, thanks, that was interesting. Simon Pegg as one of the Thompson Twins eh? I bet he enjoyed doing that. I am not sure how this movie will be received in the UK, I mean Tin Tin was OK when I was about five, I just don't know what demographic it is being aimed at. Most people in the UK who are familiar with Tin Tin would probably have first seen the Belvision animation.

I don't see this film doing particularly that well in the States either, as it seems that virtually no one there has heard of Herge's Adventures of Tin Tin let alone Belvision Studios.

Although, according to IMDb the Belvision cartoon version was shown in the US in the mid 1960s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0960172/

In fact, in my experience, most Americans have never even heard of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Most tell me that, to them, 'Skippy' is some form of *peanut butter. I don't know how they got through their childhoods without watching Skippy at least once! I wonder what Skippy's doing now?

*Peanut butter: a form of inedible spread putatively consisting of peanuts.
Tin Tin is not completely obscure here, but it was never a big deal either. If that sixties cartoon was shown here distribution must have been very limited.

We don't know Skippy the Kangaroo from a hole in the wall.

There was also a Skippy comic strip about a little boy that was hugely popular in the earlier part of the twentieth century and spawned two popular early thirties movies, but fell into obscurity after its creator went crazy and spent the rest of his life in a mental institution.

Tin Tin is not completely obscure here, but it was never a big deal either. If that sixties cartoon was shown here distribution must have been very limited.
I think in the UK that Noggin the Nog had more impact than Tin Tin ever did. The only other thing I know that comes from Belgium is strong bottled lager. I'm not a great fan of beer coming out of a bottle, let alone fizzy pasteurised lager, but some of that Belgian stuff is OK.

We don't know Skippy the Kangaroo from a hole in the wall.
Don't tell Paul Hogan that. Kangaroo meat's supposed to taste nice, I personally just couldn't eat a Skippy burger though.

There was also a Skippy comic strip about a little boy that was hugely popular in the earlier part of the twentieth century and spawned two popular early thirties movies, but fell into obscurity after its creator went crazy and spent the rest of his life in a mental institution.
Yeah, too much lager will do that to you.