Goths in Movies

Tools    

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Inspired but the Goth poll thats happening at the moment I thought I'd start this thread.

Goths in movies. I'd even allow Emo's cos there just babies who will one day grow up and be a real goth.

Ok heres a few I like and that first come to mind.

Lydia Deetz (Beetle Juice 1988)

May (Angst 2000)

Oh I looked everywhere for a decent pic of May, but theres nothing out there. This is a little Australian movie that a lot of people missed. Its a shame as its a great movie and May is one of my all time fav goths. Her character doesn't even need to be a goth per say. She just is one. Its nothing to do with the story line.

Eric Draven (The Crow 1994)

The Addams Family (The Addams Family 1991)

Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd 2007)

Oh theres heaps more. Heres a start.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

Welcome to the human race...
In a weird way, I kind of think of the Mystery Man from Lost Highway as a Goth sort of character. All-black outfit, extremely pale (made-up?) features, weird hair, somewhat creepy...

Even though I'm not all that familiar with Goth culture, I'm assuming that always connecting it with vampires is considered a bit cliche, so I'll try to limit my comparisons to just one or two.
That said, here are my top 5 fave Goths in movies (which I didn't realize I had until I made this list. Come to think of it, I'm still not too sure if I really do):

5. Just About Everybody That Gets Killed By Blade from Blade.
The only good goth vampire is a dead goth vampire that's been killed..... again. Cuz, y'know....since they were already killed once already when they became a vampire.

4. Ginger Fitzgerald from Ginger Snaps.
There comes a time in every young girl's life where her body starts to give off signs that she's becoming a woman.
Or a werewolf.

3. Severus Snape from all the Harry Potter films.
I went to rave once, just to score some Exstacy. I was told that I had to talk to someone known as the "Potions" Master.
Coincidence?

2. The Crow from The Crow.
Because he's a Goth who actually has the ability to kick your ass, the Crow is the epitome of an oxymoron. Of course, I would never say that to his face.

1. Nosferatu from the movie Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror.
Probably the original gangsta of the movie Goth.

Hey! I started a trend.

Of course I have always been partial to Fairuza Balk from The Craft.

BTW, what is Emo? I just missed this development. My niece tried to explain it to me but I didn't get it.

...uh the post is up there...

Inspired but the Goth poll thats happening at the moment I thought I'd start this thread.

Goths in movies. I'd even allow Emo's cos there just babies who will one day grow up and be a real goth.

Ok heres a few I like and that first come to mind.

Lydia Deetz (Beetle Juice 1988)

May (Angst 2000)

Oh I looked everywhere for a decent pic of May, but theres nothing out there. This is a little Australian movie that a lot of people missed. Its a shame as its a great movie and May is one of my all time fav goths. Her character doesn't even need to be a goth per say. She just is one. Its nothing to do with the story line.

Eric Draven (The Crow 1994)

The Addams Family (The Addams Family 1999)

Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd 2007)

Oh theres heaps more. Heres a start.
Actually The Addams family was released in 1991.

Actually The Addams family was released in 1991.
Whoops I knew that. I made this post in a hurry. Too many 9's not enough 1's *laugh* . Thanks for pointing that out!

Whoops I knew that. I made this post in a hurry. Too many 9's not enough 1's *laugh* . Thanks for pointing that out!
Welcome

Even though I'm not all that familiar with Goth culture, I'm assuming that always connecting it with vampires is considered a bit cliche, so I'll try to limit my comparisons to any to just one or two.
that said, here are my top 5 fave Goths in movies (which i didn't realize I had until I made this list. Come to think of it, I'm still not too sure if I really do):

5. Just About Everybody That Gets Killed By Blade from Blade - The only good goth vampire is a dead goth vampire that's been killed..... again. Cuz, y'know....since they were already killed once already when they became a vampire.

4. Ginger from Ginger Snaps - There comes a time in every young girl's life where her body starts to give off signs that she's becoming a woman.
Or a werewolf.

3. Severus Snape from all the Harry Potter films - I went to rave once, just to score some Exstacy. I was told that I had to talk to someone known as the "Potions" Master.
Coincidence?

2. The Crow from The Crow - Because he's a Goth who actually has the ability to kick your ass, the Crow is the epitome of an oxymoron. Of course, I would never say that to his face.

1. Nosferatu from the movie Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror - The original gangsta of the movie Goth.

You did very well considering you aren't all knowledged up on Goths.

Its funny the whole Vampires vs. Goth thing. A Lot of vampires in movies are exremely goth, but then in some movies Vampires make fun of Goths for being like that. Queen of the Damned (2002) is an example of this. Ironic really when I think of that movie as the Kevin Bacon of Goth movies. It was filmed here in Australia and there was a big call out to the Goth culture for extras in the big concert moment. So every man and his dog says they were either in it, or know someone who was.

I've always thought Snape was rather goth. Its the coat and the grumpy persona I guess. Anyway I love that you listed him!

Ginger Snaps is another great choice. I almost listed this myself. Even though (obviously) that movie goes in an extreme direction I loved how the girls embrace their freakdom as it were. Brilliant.

A great listall round!

Hey! I started a trend.

Of course I have always been partial to Fairuza Balk from The Craft.

BTW, what is Emo? I just missed this development. My niece tried to explain it to me but I didn't get it.
Oh The Craft girls! Of course! Awesome! Especially Fairuza. I think that movie started a goth school uniform look that went round. Making goths realise that they can show leg and still be goth *laugh*

I personally simplify the differences between Goths and Emo's.
Goth's like 80's music.
Emo's like Harry Potter.

But thats more a joke that the truth

I actually think in truth Goth and Emo is actually rather similar.

Traditionally Goths in general have a more classic victorian look. Taking there subculture from a more elegant point of view. Classic literature, poetry etc.

Emo's seem traditionally take their look more from a punk rock style and the subculture comes more from the rock music scene with infuences like 'Jimmy Eats World' and 'My Chemical Romance'.

Both subcultures has certain sterotypes associated with them such as angst and death and emotional (hense 'emo') which I actually think is on the whole not true. Well not from what I've observed.

Yes I think there used to be some hardcore goths out there who used to submerge themselves in a persona, pretending they would live for ever and walked around drinking red wine looking all dark and broody. But these days I find when surrounded by goths they are the most friendly people I know. Just people who like to dress up and and stand out from the crowd yet at the same time find a group of people they can bond with. Also from my experience most of them are nerds who work in IT *laugh*. We sit around dressed in black listening to the same music emo's listening to plus a lot of 80's music (never figured that one out).

Goths complain about emo's but its purely because they secretly know they are just on the whole a younger version of them selves. Like High school seniors bitching about High School Juniors. The cultures cross over a lot.

And even though both cultures are associated with angst and depression. Realistically we all like Harry Potter and Unicorns and watch zombie movies like everyone else and have facebook pages and now we all like skulls with pink bows on them. Crazy *laugh*

I hope this helped.

I always liked Sarah Douglas as Ursa in Superman II

She is foxy! I love it!

You have already covered most of the movies that come to mind

The Matrix Trilogy is very gothic in look and feel, maybe more techno/industrial goth but goth all the same.

Kate Beckinsale in Underworld, I'm not really a fan of these movies but they do look the part.

Dracula and goth go hand in hand but Bram Stoker's Dracula stands out.

Interview with a Vampire
, another much more classical gothic look.

A system of cells interlinked
Jolie in Hackers

Yes, more of a raver (which I prefer socially to Goths ANY day of the week, btw).

Of course, I'm biased...

Some others that come to mind...

That goth girl from Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows

The goth couple from Urban Legend that had sex and one of them was killed urban legend style. (Actually, that's not a bad looking goth guy there...)

Alexis Arquette's character from Bride of Chucky... what the hell is it with all of these goth characters appearing in late 90's horror films??

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
Forgive me for derailing the thread, but I've never understood goth "culture". What exactly is the appeal in acting and dressing as though you lived in Bram Stoker's mind whilst simultaneously wondering about the reasons for and protesting your abuse at the hands of normal people? What's the advantage?

Back on track....

Edward Scissorhands

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by mikeython1

8mm, Joaquin Phoenix

Remind me to see this.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
My favorite goth in a movie moment is in Big Daddy where Adam Sandler's telling the little boy about fathers and a goth kid walks by. Then Adam Sandler yells

"It's okay! He can't controll you anymore! Your mad at your dad, aren't you??"
Then, the goth kid starts crying, "I am. I am"