Random Film Thoughts

Tools    

I never got why Hulk was so criticised. The graphics worked, the editing was unique and interesting, the characters were developed and well acted and the final battle was great.
The final battle is the only thing I hated. I didn't like his old man in there at all. I'm like "why are you even here Nick Nolte. Go away you, just...just go away".

It just got too weird there at the end.

The only downfall was the mutant dogs, but i can't think of any superhero movies where they train or fight against henchmen/dogs opposed to the main baddie, so considering that aspect i liked it.
Now THAT was the best part for me. Him fighting off all those mutant dogs protecting his little lady there. Loved it. Loved that entire fight scene.

Don't like Rear Window.

Oh well...
Eeep!! Sorry Bobby but I had to neg rep you for saying such an ugly thing.

Ok I didn't but damn boy I should.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Today I went to the library to rent a film. I decided to get The Death of Mr. Lazarescu. When I took it to the counter, the librarian said 'You do know it's a world cinema dvd, don't you?'. I said 'Yeah...' not quite sure what she was getting at - are they more expensive to rent, or something? But no, she goes on to explain that 'It's in subtitles'. Well, duh. I think it would warrant a warning if it didn't have subtitles, after all, I don't speak Romanian. She explained that some people complained when they brought the films back if they were in subtitles, so she thought it was easier to warn people.

What kind of morons go to this library? Ones who

a. can't read subtitles (if you can't read, why are you even in a library??),
b. Can't read the sign on the rack of world cinema films saying 'world cinema' (yes, they are even segregated from the rest of the films)
c. Can't read the dvd box to see what kind of film it is and
d. can't even change the audio on the dvd if they really want it dubbed into English.

Ha, good story Thursday. When i went to see Pan's Labyrinth they warned us when buying tickets that it had subtitles, my reply was i should bloody hope so.

Btw, how was the film, i've been looking at it for a while and seen it at cinemas and DVD but don't know enough about it to take the plunge.

Btw, how was the film, i've been looking at it for a while and seen it at cinemas and DVD but don't know enough about it to take the plunge.
Haven't got round to watching it yet but I'll let you know what I thought when I see it. I saw some world cinema awards on bbc4 a few months ago and it won, I think. The clips they showed looked good, anyway.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Something I just learned tonight. Apparently there are two movies titled Suburbia. One is the movie that I know of directed by Penelope Spheeris, who also directed The Decline of the Western Civilization. Another is a movie starring Giovanni Ribissi.

Since the former is a movie I talk about quite often I guess I better start distinguishing between the two.

Welcome to the human race...
When it comes to movies (and other such forms of entertainment), it kinda sucks to live in Australia. When we get new movies, they're often released months after they've been everywhere else. And when the DVDs come out (if they come out - there's a lot of good movies that are very rare to find on video in Australia, let alone on DVD) they're late and have no special features (which is a minor setback but eh, just bothers me when other countries get flashy 2-disc editions with all kinds of cool stuff and all the Australian release gets is 12 different sets of subtitles).

I wish Empire magazine didn't have so many adverts for poncy men's aftershave. I really find my reading about films disrupted by the smell of Joop etc.

When it comes to movies (and other such forms of entertainment), it kinda sucks to live in Australia. When we get new movies, they're often released months after they've been everywhere else. And when the DVDs come out (if they come out - there's a lot of good movies that are very rare to find on video in Australia, let alone on DVD) they're late and have no special features (which is a minor setback but eh, just bothers me when other countries get flashy 2-disc editions with all kinds of cool stuff and all the Australian release gets is 12 different sets of subtitles).

a. can't read subtitles (if you can't read, why are you even in a library??),
b. Can't read the sign on the rack of world cinema films saying 'world cinema' (yes, they are even segregated from the rest of the films)
c. Can't read the dvd box to see what kind of film it is and
d. can't even change the audio on the dvd if they really want it dubbed into English.

People have become lazy, and I hate to admit that it is usually Americans that fall into this category of not watching or giving a chance to films that are not in English. Seriously I understand that one's form of entertainment is subjective, but if "one" is close minded then one should do a little research before exposing one's self to expansion. I know a little German (no not a dwarf with a 'stache) and I understand a bit of Spanish, but a great movie tends to transcend language, movies are mostly visual, otherwise we would be listening to the radio only (which is also a wonderful form of entertainment IMO) to wet our whistles for "escape".

Not sure what I am trying to say here other than a great movie is a great movie, no matter what language it is recored in.

Why are there no decent films on in the holidays?

It is just kids films, kids film, kids films. I appreciate that kids are on holiday and need something to keep them quiet for a couple of hours, but adults need films too!

I want to watch Lust, Caution...instead I have a choice between Bee Movie and Alvin and the chipmunks.

Another random thought...is Lust, Caution the only film whose title is also its warning?

Lust, Caution (Caution, contains Lust)

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119978/

a VERY under-rated film!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179074/

Best film ever

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I love the review made from the former hooker

a great movie tends to transcend language
. . . a great movie is a great movie, no matter what language it is recored in.
Or even if there is no language at all. Look at all of the great silent films and how few subtitles there were--you could go several scenes before dialog cards were shown. You could get an international group of illiterates who can't read their own languages and sit them down in front of some of the best silent work of Chaplin, Keaton, Fairbanks, Gish, Mix, and Valentino, and they all would understand the gist of the story.

lol

"hulk mad, now new hulk more handsome than hulk"