The first horror movie you watched?

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
The Shining at the drive-in 1980. Messed me up a bit at the time. If you consider Jaws a horror film then I saw a Jaws/Jaws 2 double feature shortly before that. If you consider none of those horror films then I remember An American Werewolf in London at a cinema in 1981.

My first on VHS was Amityville II : The Possession - which I adore, not because it's scary, but because it's bats*it insane.

UserExist
It oscillates, but currently, I’d rank my horror list like this:

Hereditary
Resolution
The Endless (the last two do not count as horror in some people’s book, but they do in mine).
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Kill List
The Reflecting Skin if we count it as horror.

Not really about quality per se, just what speaks to me.
I hate the fact that didn't watch any of these movies. Well, gonna change that tonight.
Nothing better watching horror during night, without light and anybody around.

I hate the fact that didn't watch any of these movies. Well, gonna change that tonight.
Nothing better watching horror during night, without light and anybody around.
I hope you enjoy some of them at least! And as you might have noticed, I keep adding to my list, annoying, I know, but it’s very hard to collate them all immediately. If you’re in a mood for something substantially more brutal, I also like Eden Lake. And, of course - I’m sure you know that one - Cargo 200.

UserExist
I hope you enjoy some of them at least! And as you might have noticed, I keep adding to my list, annoying, I know, but it’s very hard to collate them all immediately. If you’re in mood for something substantially more brutal, I also like Eden Lake. And, of course - I’m sure you know that one - Cargo 200.
Wow, didn't expect someone here watching russian movies. I usually watch only our old soviet kinofilms and, maybe, some 90s russia movies.

Wow, didn't expect someone here watching russian movies. I usually watch only our old soviet kinofilms and, maybe, some 90s russia movies.
(I am ethnic Russian)

Psssts.

But I don’t speak it well.

On a different note, lots of people here know more Russian movies than I’ll see in my lifetime.

Personally, I watched Cargo 200 with 0 Russian connection, having browsed most extreme horror films and come across it.

UserExist
(I am ethnic Russian)

Psssts.

But I don’t speak it well.

On a different note, lots of people here know more Russian movies than I’ll see in my lifetime.

Personally, I watched Cargo 200 with 0 Russian connection, having browsed most extreme horror films and come across it.
Ихать, только думал о том, что могу встретить тут соотечественника и встретил, охренеть.
I am very interested in your story, do you live in russia?

Ихать, только думал о том, что могу встретить тут соотечественника и встретил, охренеть.
I am very interested in your story, do you live in russia?
Tak bivaet. Russkogo net u menya nigde. No, I live in London.

This is something I don't think I've ever thought about before. Salem's Lot scarred me around age 9 or so. Watched The Innocents and The Changeling with my mom many times as a tween.

I'm not good at putting an exact date on things from my childhood, but when I was much younger I saw a woman having a cage strapped to her head with a hungry rat inside. That messed me up bad. Decades later I rented The Virgin of Nuremberg and discovered that that was the film that had traumatized me so.

Victim of The Night
The first one I remember seeing was King Kong (1933). I was maybe 5 or 6 years old.
After that I pretty much sat in front of the TV every Sunday morning for Creature Feature and got a Hammer/Amicus/AIP/Universal and a Sci-fi Horror or Monster Movie (often a kaiju, but sometimes a Kong, Son Of Kong, Mighty Joe Young, Them!, or something like Fiend Without A Face).
And the first contemporary horror movie I saw was Friday the 13th Part 2 when I was 9 years old. Scared the **** outta me.

Straight-up horror, Poltergeist. Horror comedies were pretty much my best bet as a kid, so The Nightmare Before Christmas would be the one if horror-comedy counts.

As a kid, I kind of considered Jumanji a horror movie, and that helped develop my interest in it, which got me watching Martin Mystery A LOT as a kid.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm pretty sure I've answered this in a few threads, but what the hay! First full movies were probably in the 4th or 5th grade sleepovers:
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • The Stuff
  • Dreamscape
  • Night of the Creeps
  • The Hitcher

On my own, I did get up around 5am from time to time to catch something if I could wake up in time.
  • Return of the Living Dead III (hubba hubba)
  • The House Where Evil Dwells

Before that (I think), I remember bits of movies I'd catch glimpses of on HBO that, while maybe not "horror," for sure freaked me the hell out.

The cutting out the eye scene in Terminator.

Another was the hallways transformation scene from Altered States.

My cousin and I sat in the hallway in a rocking chair watching An American Werewolf in London while our parents were unaware. The console T.V. was visible from the hallway. They were watching it. So were we, to a point.

Finally, I once asked my dad while he was leaving for work if I could watch the new cartoon, Heavy Metal. He said no. I tried anyway but I don't remember making it past this scene.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
When I was about three, I remember screaming at the ad for Amityville Horror until my parents took me to it. That was probably the first. At least of my conscious life.
When I was a wee snot licker, there was this house not half a mile from ours that had that Amityville shape, complete with spooky eye-windows and all. I hated riding by that thing. As an adult, I wonder now if I imagined it all. I think it was real though.

I used to watch horror movies with my mom when i was little so i dont exactly remember the first one. I remember watching Hell raiser "Like all of them" on the sci fi channel when sci fi was good and abunch of other old school horror sci fi channel used to play. Prob saw a bunch of stephen king i remember watching the langoleirs?

The first ones i remember watching on my dvd player "we had tapes too but we just switched over" or a friends were Resident Evil watched with a friend at his house, and House of 1000 corpses with my cousin i was too young.

First one i was blown away by? Rosemaries baby. Very creepy the first time around.

I remember an older cousin taking my two sisters and me to a free showing in our small hometown. It was sponsored by a local dairy and admission was an empty half gallon carton of milk and there was this huge pile outside the ticket booth. I didn't remember much about it except it was in black and white and that a house or a castle burned down or exploded at the end. It was only much later when I watched The Black Cat (1934) that I realized that was the movie we went to. Being only seven or so at the time it's awesomeness was lost on me.