Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

But that ice cream bit. And that McDonald's hamburger bit (I also think that's in Delirious, but maybe it's Raw), make me laugh as hard as anything I've ever seen.
Hamburger is from Raw. As is the bit about his father eating toys as a child.

Never mind. Some googling reminded me that it was "Frostbiter: Wrath of the Wendigo" I was thinking of.
Ron Asheton is the Stooge in question.

No, no Stooges present. Unless maybe one of the shiettiest of the 3 Stooges went uncredited in it. I saw some old farts in the background, so possibly. Certainly no Iggy Pop ones though, since they still weren't old (dead) farts at that point.

But, irregardless, Winterbeast is also an A class winner. With or without the Joe Besser cameo.

It's the kind of junky movie, that could probably have all of its best pieces distilled into about three solid great minutes. But it's also one of those junky movies, where all of the weird and lethargic padding the best parts are nestled in, also need to be considered, or else you kind of lose something.

At least if one considers themselves to have any taste at all.

4/5

Never mind. Some googling reminded me that it was "Frostbiter: Wrath of the Wendigo" I was thinking of.
Ron Asheton is the Stooge in question.
Oooh, that kind of the Stooge.

You always preferred the marble rye, didn't you.
Cinnamon takes a backseat to no babka!

Let me tell ya, bad idea to chase a bunch of beers and ciders with vanilla ice cream.
A little bourbon in a root beer float though is quite sublime.

Re: Eddie Murphy, I think some of his best stand-up involved his impression of his drunk father, Vernon. The Barbeque, the Bigfoot, the "Nothing from nothing leaves nothing, you musta done something, muthaf#cka hit you in the mouth". I only learned later that Vernon was actually Eddie's stepfather, which might explain the lack of respect, and Vernon's chip-on-the-shoulder.

Victim of The Night
I remember I used to think chocolate eclairs were disgusting.

When I was a kid, I thought they looked so good, and I would beg to get one, and then spit it out when it was in my mouth.

Yeah, I know.
Dude, I'm with you, I thought they were nasty. My mom loved 'em.

I honestly don't quite get the point of it. I'm just mostly using it to keep all of my movie writing in one place. I have it in so many different files, in so many different computers, and on so many different disks and usb ports, that it's a convenient place to keep my more inane thoughts. I imagine I will start to really unload some garbage on there if I don't find something better to do with my time, soon.
I've noticed some of you are following thousands of people and I wonder what benefit there is to that. I'm not doubting that there is a benefit, just asking what you've found.

I've limited my list to people I have some familiarity with. If Wooley likes or dislikes something, that gives me something to go on. If Rando #452 likes it that doesn't really help me. Just wondering.

(Similarly, I have people following me that do the same. I can't imagine what people are getting from my ratings when they're following 2000 other users.)

I've noticed some of you are following thousands of people and I wonder what benefit there is to that. I'm not doubting that there is a benefit, just asking what you've found.

I've limited my list to people I have some familiarity with. If Wooley likes or dislikes something, that gives me something to go on. If Rando #452 likes it that doesn't really help me. Just wondering.

(Similarly, I have people following me that do the same. I can't imagine what people are getting from my ratings when they're following 2000 other users.)
Most of the people I follow are people I know (i.e. you guys) or those who write reviews fairly regularly, so I get a decent amount of value from seeing what others are logging.*Somebody writes an enticing positive review? Boom, going on the watch list.*Somebody watches something with an attention-grabbing poster? Boom, going on the watch list. Sometimes the two factors converge, which is why you were assaulted by a certain topless diver at work.

Most of the people I follow are people I know (i.e. you guys) or those who write reviews fairly regularly, so I get a decent amount of value from seeing what others are logging.*Somebody writes an enticing positive review? Boom, going on the watch list.*Somebody watches something with an attention-grabbing poster? Boom, going on the watch list. Sometimes the two factors converge, which is why you were assaulted by a certain topless diver at work.
I should add that this is the closest I ever get to social media, so the notion of "liking" and "following" and so on is still relatively alien to me. If I've ever liked one of your reviews, consider yourself lucky because I usually forget.

Same here. My only other Letterboxd advice is that I do not recommend following people you don't know simply on the basis that they like your reviews, lists, etc. I mean, I appreciate it, but 99% of them make my Activity page unusable because for some reason, they tend to be the users who spam the hell out of the wish list and like features.

Same here. My only other Letterboxd advice is that I do not recommend following people you don't know simply on the basis that they like your reviews, lists, etc. I mean, I appreciate it, but 99% of them make my Activity page unusable because for some reason, they tend to be the users who spam the hell out of the wish list and like features.
There's that rush of finding out that someone is following you ("someone thinks I'm cool!") followed by the realization that they're also following another 10,000 people. Suddenly I'm not so special.

But yeah, that was my main issue. The more people I followed, the less helpful it seemed to me. In fact I've un-followed some Corrie folks either because they weren't active enough or their activity just didn't interest me, so they were just clogging up the system. So that's why I asked what the benefit of following thousands might be.

I feel bad about not following people back when they follow me. Not that I actually think most of them really care, I just feel weird ignoring them.

I initially was keeping my count low, since at first I was coming across occasional movies that I'd never heard of that looked interesting (The Astrologer!), but it honestly wasn't very often. Then, as I started following more people back, I thought of it as being valuable as a social networking tool, only centered around films instead of whatever Facebook is selling. But it's actually ****ing terrible at this. It doesn't feel designed for people to really talk about film. It's just amounting to a big log of useless followers and people mostly posting in complete isolation.

I'm still coming across a few movies here and there I normally wouldn't have though, even with all the clutter on my page. I mostly remember the posters who were 'influencing' me in any way, so I just randomly check in on their pages now and again, to see if there is something interesting there. As for my feed, I literally never look at it. Considering all the junko posters I'm now following, I can't imagine there would be any reason to. I'm pretty sure its just a wall of Scott Pilgrim recommendations.

I will say though, that seeing Perfect Blue listed on about 40 percent of my followers pages as a favorite, by people with both bad and good taste, got me to finally watch it. I don't think I would have bothered if I was only following a couple of dozen people, and it was listed on a handful of them. So that's a rare benefit of following way too many people.

Victim of The Night
I've followed Captain Terror for a while.
I added Rock this week.
That's all I got. If somebody else here I've known for a while and trust (which doesn't mean agree with) is out there I might follow them too someday.
But, **** between my own ideas, Cap's and Rock's, that's a helluva lotta movies to watch.

I will say though, that seeing Perfect Blue listed on about 40 percent of my followers pages as a favorite, by people with both bad and good taste, got me to finally watch it. I don't think I would have bothered if I was only following a couple of dozen people, and it was listed on a handful of them. So that's a rare benefit of following way too many people.
I know that you aren't too big on anime, but I'm a little surprised that Satoshi Kon hadn't gotten your attention before, maybe due to his reputation for psychological/psychedelic subject matter.

I know that you aren't too big on anime, but I'm a little surprised that Satoshi Kon hadn't gotten your attention before, maybe due to his reputation for psychological/psychedelic subject matter.

I've been a fan of Paprika for years, but anytime I came across a poster for Perfect Blue it made no impression on me. I don't even think I knew it was Kon. Or anyone of any real note. I think I was under the impression it was about ballet students, like Altman's The Company, which is an alright Altman, but I would have no interest in an anime version of that.

I'm actually not against anime, but I definitely don't dig very deep. And I have found a couple of the supposed classics of the genre not my particular cup of tea (Princess Mononoke, Akira). Visually incredible, but still kind of punishing for me to sit all the way through. I get really bored during all of the narrative elements, and just want to get to the big set pieces, which are almost always admittedly amazing.

I'm actually not against anime, but I definitely don't dig very deep. And I have found a couple of the supposed classics of the genre not my particular cup of tea (Princess Mononoke, Akira). Visually incredible, but still kind of punishing for me to sit all the way through. I get really bored during all of the narrative elements, and just want to get to the big set pieces, which are almost always admittedly amazing.
I didn't dig that deep into it either, but I did find some great anime out there anyway; I mean, have you ever seen Cowboy Bebop? It's been one of my personal GOAT shows for the past 20 years, after all.

I didn't dig that deep into it either, but I did find some great anime out there anyway; I mean, have you ever seen Cowboy Bebop? It's been one of my personal GOAT shows for the past 20 years, after all.

I haven't seen that, no, and I've never watched any anime series'. But I'd probably be willing at some point.

Then, as I started following more people back, I thought of it as being valuable as a social networking tool, only centered around films instead of whatever Facebook is selling. But it's actually ****ing terrible at this. It doesn't feel designed for people to really talk about film. It's just amounting to a big log of useless followers and people mostly posting in complete isolation.
Sorry, I somehow missed this for five days. But yes, this is accurate. The only way to engage with other members is to comment on their reviews. And since I don't write reviews, there's no way for anyone to interact with me.

And the problem with only following other MoFos is that most of you are reporting what you've seen on this forum anyway, so looking at your Letterboxd stuff is usually just a repeat of what I already knew.

So again, the main purpose for me is the logging and rating, because I have that kind of brain.

Sorry, I somehow missed this for five days. But yes, this is accurate. The only way to engage with other members is to comment on their reviews. And since I don't write reviews, there's no way for anyone to interact with me.

And the problem with only following other MoFos is that most of you are reporting what you've seen on this forum anyway, so looking at your Letterboxd stuff is usually just a repeat of what I already knew.

So again, the main purpose for me is the logging and rating, because I have that kind of brain.
Or you could be like me and have minimal overlap across your Letterboxd, forum posting and blog out of sheer laziness.*