Vertigo vs Chinatown

Tools    

Arguably the two best noirs ever made. Both imo rank among the 10 best films ever made. Both feature absolutely flawless cinematography. Both feature unbelievable performances from Stewart and Nicholson, respectively. And both have famously tragic endings. Better movie?

This might just do nobody any good.
I haven’t seen Vertigo

*movie fan card gets revoked*

I haven’t seen Vertigo

And it won't get returned until you see it. LOL.

It's okay. Everybody is missing some classics.

I didn't see Citizen Kane until about three years ago.

This might just do nobody any good.
I haven’t seen Citizen Kane.

*thrown out of the forums*

I haven’t seen Vertigo

I hope you don't go into it with too high expectations and accept that it's a film that works better if you let it fester. It's the most frequently called 'overrated' Hitchcock in my experience i think that's largely due to massive expectations at least from discussions with people that were underwhelmed. Not saying it is without a doubt one of the best films ever made like its reputation, just that like with Citizen Kane and various other films that are extremely acclaimed people expect unreasonable things from it. Hope you enjoy when you check it out.

Both are fantastic. Vertigo for me by quite some way though.

I haven’t seen Citizen Kane.

*thrown out of the forums*
Maybe I'll make you feel better by saying that I've only seen a small portion of Lawrence of Arabia. I feel like that's a movie buff no-no.

I hope you don't go into it with too high expectations and accept that it's a film that works better if you let it fester. It's the most frequently called 'overrated' Hitchcock in my experience i think that's largely due to massive expectations at least from discussions with people that were underwhelmed. Not saying it is without a doubt one of the best films ever made like its reputation, just that like with Citizen Kane and various other films that are extremely acclaimed people expect unreasonable things from it. Hope you enjoy when you check it out.

Both are fantastic. Vertigo for me by quite some way though.
For what it's worth, every single great movie in history is called overrated by some, including Citizen and Godfather.

Vertigo is flawless. Problem is... so is Chinatown. So, much like many of these comparisons... I flip-flop on my opinion often.

BUT... I think that the sheer haunting brilliance of Vertigo gives it a slight edge, combined with it's frighteningly ironic ending.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
They are both very good but I like Vertigo better personally. I cared about the characters more personally for some reason.

I haven't seen Vertigo, but I watched Chinatown recently and I quite liked it

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Vertigo by a landslide. It has great colours, soundtrack, and twist and turns. Chinatown is entirely revolved around the mystery, so it's not very entertaining if you're not writing down clues on a piece of paper every 5 seconds.

For what it's worth, every single great movie in history is called overrated by some, including Citizen and Godfather.
OMG, please don't ever do this sort of thing again.

Kinda held back on your silly "x film is the best" posts, don't attempt to tell me anything about your silliness please, thanks.

Kinda held back on your silly "x film is the best" posts, don't attempt to tell me anything about your silliness please, thanks.
Huh?

U must have misread my post. I said in regards to some people disliking Vertigo, that there's certain ppl who don't "get" every great film. When it comes to GF, and Citizen, I wasn't talking about me personally.

I love both Citizen and Godfather 1.

You're entitled to an opinion, however, what makes Vertigo uninteresting?
I don't know. I just have never been able to engage with it. Don't worry, though, I find Blade Runner boring, too. And Kubrick. And I don't like a lot of Hitchcock. I don't find James Stewart convincing as anything either. I like the theme though.

Chinatown is much better, not even close. Vertigo is overrated af

its a hard call, two movies with great plot and mystiqueness of equal quality, add to that actors of the top caliber, so yeah tough call for me, two classics of cinematic history