Anyone here ever drive for Uber or Lyft?

Tools    

I've used Uber once, but I know a few people who have used it often.

I'm no help... I considered it, then found out you have to have a car that is less than 10 years old. My car is over 15 years old!
Plus I don't have a smartphone or GPS (although I did read that Uber will supply the necessary equipment and you pay off its usage as you drive).

Well my car died a couple weeks ago so I will use my wife's car-only 15,000 Miles.
I also remember reading (on the Uber site) that they'll help you buy a new car if you need one... but don't remember the details.

Although I don't think it was a whole lot different than buying a new car on a payment plan, then using your income (including from Uber) to pay it off each month for a few years.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
mama wants shopping money.
LOL what does she need, Cricket?

Wow I didnt realise Uber was so fancy schmancy. I've never taken one. Do passengers really expect cars to be of a certain youth? I couldnt care less as long as it gets me from A to B and doesnt have a pizza and a 6 pack left on the back seat or a driver with bad BO.

She needs to spend, that's all.

I'm all signed up and now I just have to wait for them to do their checks and I'm ready to go.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I'm all signed up and now I just have to wait for them to do their checks and I'm ready to go.
Spending is overrated. I'd rather sit at home with a mango and a movie. Much more fun. When you buy sht you dont need it will just end up broken sooner or later and what have you got then?

Have fun with Uber. Looking forward to your stories of scalliwags and rapscallions. I dont even really know what a rapscallion is but I've wanted to use the word in a sentence!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
i prefer hanging out and watching movies with tangerines. they're sweeter and don't ask as many questions during the movie.

also:

just cuz i'm in one of those moods.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Wow I didnt realise Uber was so fancy schmancy. I've never taken one. Do passengers really expect cars to be of a certain youth? I couldnt care less as long as it gets me from A to B and doesnt have a pizza and a 6 pack left on the back seat or a driver with bad BO.
I guess Uber doesn't want people riding in old cars that are more likely to break down?

I've also heard (don't know this for sure) but they require the drivers to keep a certain level of cleanliness in their cars - I'm assuming if a driver gets reported for a dirty car enough times they get a call from Uber? I know (from an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm) that there is a rating system for passengers to rate drivers - so it's kind of like a Seller's Feedback rating on eBay.

I failed the background check. I was surprised because these are the guidelines on Uber's website-

- At least one year U.S. licensing history (if under 23 years old, must have at least three years licensing history)
- A valid driver's license and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) that shows:
- No major moving violations, such as DUIs or reckless driving, within the last seven years
- No more than three minor moving violations in the past three years, such as speeding tickets or failure to obey traffic laws
- A criminal record that does not include a conviction for a felony, violent crime, or sexual offense within the last seven years, among other things such as a registration on the U.S. Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public website.

I have not had a traffic violation since 2007 or been arrested since 2002.

It turns out that Massachusetts is the only state in the country where you also have to meet their standards when driving for a rideshare company. I was told that I failed for a lifetime of issues

I have appealed, but I am not challenging the results. I'm just seeing what happens. I don't really give a crap since my guess is that it wouldn't be worth it anyway. We'll see.

Shortly after I appealed they emailed a hearing notice to me. I had to go to South Station and I was expecting a courthouse type of thing since it's with the state rather than Uber, but it ended up being much more personal. I took the elevator up and went right to the front desk. I was stunned when he asked "are you Ed?" I said yes and he said she'll be right with you. A woman took me to a private room and talked to me for over an hour while recording. I also brought a couple of references. She asked me in detail about every single incident in my driving and criminal history. Much of it I couldn't remember but I always responded that I could not dispute the charges. I got personal with her regarding my past issues with alcohol and gambling and she seemed impressed and convinced that I had turned my life around. She said they would go over the recording and references, thanked me for telling my story, and said they'd get back to me. I got an email a couple of days ago clearing me to work. I really don't give a crap about Uber even though I'm thinking of trying it out tomorrow, but it felt good to be given that trust.

Keep us updated. I have considered it for extra cash.

Shortly after I appealed they emailed a hearing notice to me. I had to go to South Station and I was expecting a courthouse type of thing since it's with the state rather than Uber, but it ended up being much more personal. I took the elevator up and went right to the front desk. I was stunned when he asked "are you Ed?" I said yes and he said she'll be right with you. A woman took me to a private room and talked to me for over an hour while recording. I also brought a couple of references. She asked me in detail about every single incident in my driving and criminal history. Much of it I couldn't remember but I always responded that I could not dispute the charges. I got personal with her regarding my past issues with alcohol and gambling and she seemed impressed and convinced that I had turned my life around. She said they would go over the recording and references, thanked me for telling my story, and said they'd get back to me. I got an email a couple of days ago clearing me to work. I really don't give a crap about Uber even though I'm thinking of trying it out tomorrow, but it felt good to be given that trust.
If you do it, I'm curious about some details. I take it the payment is all done electronically with the customer's credit card (like paying with Paypal on eBay), but I wonder how tips are handled (cash?) or if tips are included in the credit card payment how do they get to the driver.

You can include tips with the app, so they get there the same way the percentage of the fare does.
Are cash tips still accepted? Or does Uber try to keep it a completely cash-free system?