Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Strange, interesting documentary.

Really good movie. Lucas Hedges did a great job. Joel Edgerton very impressive in a lead rôle, as well as directing. Oh, and he also wrote the screenplay.

Totally with you on Boy Erasaed

La Llorona started out with an awesome creepiness but couldn't really hold up till the end. Things started to just not make much since about halfway +/- and I lost interest. I finished the movie but can't say I really enjoyed it.

That sounds like my first marriage.

Night on Earth 1991
Five separate stories of five cab drivers shot on location in
Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Rome and Helsinki, all on the same night.
Well done, small indie film by Jim Jarmusch,
I thought the L.A. and Paris stories were the best ones.
Do you recommend?
Yes

NIGHT ON EARTH 1991

Thanks for your recommendation. J-C . I saw this film and glad I did. Had a zany, over the top. cutting edge feel to it, reminded me a little of early Spike Lee. But still it was a unique vision of the film maker.

I guess I liked the L.A., New York and Helsinki vignettes the best. Was laughing at first at hyper Roberto Benigni but that one story was a little too out there for me. Also, I think I'm gonna forgo the pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving. .🙄

But really did enjoy the movie and this alternative vision of the planet's universe at night. It also made me think that of all these major glorified cosmopolitan cities revealling their seamy, seething, seedy landscapes - only Helsinki looked like a pretty, well cared for village you'd want to live in. Of course that story was the most hard hitting - goosebumps ( and not just from the Finnish night) .

Btw a young Rosie Perez was absolutely hilarious - best thing in the movie was her line about what her brother in law was wearing on his head lmao.

Preposterous, hilarious, cartoonish yet poignant movie - it was a novel experience for me . And even though the 'stories ' left more questions than they answered, my interest never flagged.

Also loved the Tom Waits song at the end.

I gave it the exact same rating as you J-C

But for mofos like you - and for mofo in general- for opening the door for me to experience a different kind of movie - and artistry - than I'd usually see:

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Wallace Worsley, 1923)

Nice enough presentation of a classic tale but I think I had the soundtrack on too loud - it made me deaf you know!

NIGHT ON EARTH 1991
Nice eloquently written lenslady If you list favorites on your profile I'm sure 'we' can recommend many more movies that suit your taste/liking.

the dead don't die - 2019

I see it as an apocalyptic film, about people saving other people in there small town community from the zombies. Those zombies are people, before they were zombies, they were people, and that should be always in your mind when you watch this movie. Jarmusch made a very intelligent approach to consumerism and environmental annihilation. He bring us to a town, a twin peaks kind of town, where people are united despite all there differences, with a strong sense of community, and the author sees it as a solution for the problem, they're the ones fighting the zombies. The movie is also political, we see a man with a hat saying "keep america white again'' and a radio broadcast bashing scientific knowledge; that can be viewed as a connotation for the current american political moment. The film narrator (Tom Waits) is a secluded man, someone that doesn't belong society, he doesn't belong to any side, neither the consumerism (zombie) side, neither to the community citizens fighting the zombies side; in the end we are lead to believe his the only survivor. We have a scottish woman who lives by old standards, the samurai codes, and the author makes the audience see her as an alien, someone not from this planet, practices that are not longer in use, the act of service, respect and discipline. We have a group of young city people passing true the town, they're welcoming by everyone despite there differences, even so, some of them show arrogance and rudeness. This is a film about people saving the planet from themselves, and in the end "everything will end badly''. The zombies din't like the movie, and they'll win and lose everything in the end.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Haunt

From the writers of A Quiet Place and producer Eli Roth comes this tale of a group of college students on Halloween night who get to experience a new "extreme" haunted house that provides more terrors than expected. It was surprisingly exciting as the lead character is a very flawed character (abusive relationship) who must find it within herself to survive along with her friends. Slow tension that leads to scares that hit you right in the throat.

2nd Re-watch...Alexander Payne put himself on the map with this deliciously squirm-worthy black comedy/morality tale centered on a high school election. Payne's scorching screenplay received an Oscar nomination and Reese Witherspoon was robbed of a supporting actress nomination for her razor sharp interpretation of Tracy Flick.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Empathy Inc.

Virtual reality becomes a total mind***k when an investor in a new form of VR learns it is more "real" than he ever imagined. Great performances by Zack Robidas, Kathy Searle, and Dan Klaitz. The last 15 minutes totally messed with me, but in a good way.

In The Loop (Armando Iannucci, 2009)
+
Feature length offering from political satire The Thick Of It that is sadly beginning to look rather realistic ten years on

The Tomorrow Man (2019)

This is not a movie for the DC comics crowd. But it is a sensitive, charming and heart warming story about two offbeat seniors who find each other, and become kindred spirits. The writing, by first time director Noble Jones is somewhat choppy, and suffers a bit from discontinuity. But it is the superlative acting by John Lithgow and Blythe Danner that grab the viewer's attention. These are two old pros who show how it's done.

The film got mediocre reviews, possibly in part due to its mature themes, along with a not-well-known first time director/writer at the helm. There is also a bit of a surprise ending that takes a little thought, but is very satisfying. Recommended for the over 40 audience, or for anyone who just wants to observe fine acting and a heart warming story.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Night on Earth 1991

God how I love reading these reviews, always find hidden gems.

Absolutely loved the movie - my personal favorite was the 2nd story, least was probably the one set in France (even though it was still a good one it had way more potential in my opinion)

Night on Earth 1991

God how I love reading these reviews, always find hidden gems.

Absolutely loved the movie - my personal favorite was the 2nd story, least was probably the one set in France (even though it was still a good one it had way more potential in my opinion)

I'll probably like only lovers left alive and paterson from the same author.
But that's my favorite jarmusch film. if you liked the second you liked the new york one.