🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Theres a statement on this website that mentions CBS investing in Star Trek which kinda pisses me off. CBS had rejected Gene Roddenberry and even stole some of his ideas for their Lost in Space series.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2...ner-celebrate/

I could've swore *&)T*$% that I posted a quote quiz 4yall. Well maybe I didn't hit the right button. SO....

Who said this and in what episode?
"Things. Horrible things! Visitors brought them in their vessel from a planet. Ingraham B."

This thread reminds me of a book I bought in grammar school...

Unfortunately, it had no photos, pictures or illustrations.
I may have actually bought it from the "Bookmobile" (anyone remember those?) where I also purchased several "Power" Records & Comic Book sets!

Theres a statement on this website that mentions CBS investing in Star Trek which kinda pisses me off. CBS had rejected Gene Roddenberry and even stole some of his ideas for their Lost in Space series.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2...ner-celebrate/
Yeah, and they're totally making big bucks off the streaming service, which I will never pay for! I believe we've already talked about "Discovery," which supposedly spits on continuity worse than any Trek series before it. I've read enough about that series, but I admit that "PIcard" interests me, especially with Brent Spiner and Jerry Ryan coming back (although how big their roles will be is not certain---may be a carrot dangling to lure Trek fans), and even Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis are on deck to return. But again, no dice from me. I've watched Trek for free, including TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise (never watched the animated series for some reason). Maybe if it's well-regarded by the bulk of Trek fans I'll wait and get the eventual Picard DVD set, but till then, oh well.

Watched The Changeling last night and one disturbing plot element they glossed over was Uhura being mind erased.

She wasn't physically brain damaged, only had every memory erased reducing her mental state to that of a newborn.
Since her brain was still intact, they were able to reeducate her, bringing her intellectually back up to her former level...

But wait! She had everything in her mind erased: every memory, every relationship, every experience... everything that would make her who she was. She wouldn't remember her parents, siblings, relatives, childhood friends, school experiences, going through puberty, romances, going to Star Fleet academy, anyone she was friendly with or close to throughout her career or on the Enterprise!

This is a devastating trauma that would render her never being the same again despite relearning her education. All her relationships would be altered. She'd bond to Dr. McCoy and Nurse Chapel as her parents, with them being her first new memories and having no memories of her real parents. All the experiences that made her who she was were deleted, so she'd become a very different person since our character, our strengths, our beliefs are developed in us by our experiences & our challenges. For Uhura, all these would be new.

Consider that she'd have to re-meet her family again, having no idea who they were outside of the records she could read.

Well @Captain Steel I could easily say to you; relax it's just a tv show, you can't make every piece of the puzzle fall into place like a Rubik's cube......

Except .....I have had a little question nagging at me of similar importance and/or disturbance, since I' ve been participating in this ( wonderful) thread.

And that is- how did Spock's parents ever have him?? I mean they were two totally different species, right? Human and Vulcan. Sure they could mate ( assuming they had the right anatomical equipment and I have no reason to doubt they did) , but how could they produce a kid??? I' m not talking about minor differences like skin hue or ear fluctuations or bad haircuts. Remember , Bones was always saying that Spock's heart was where his liver should be and his blood was green and his metabolism was all off - so how did this happen!?!!!

I mean a lion and tiger can have a baby, but they're both cats right? But you can't mate a tiger and a water buffalo and get a baby.

So answer me that, dear Trekkies, and if you do, I'll manage to come up with some reason or rationalization as to how Uhura got her groove back.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
His name was Adam.

The screenshot is from the movie Psych-Out

Adam Roarke as C.P.O. Garrison

The Cage

Those pics are all the same person? I never would have figured that out.

...how did Spock's parents ever have him?? I mean they were two totally different species, right? Human and Vulcan. Sure they could mate ( assuming they had the right anatomical equipment and I have no reason to doubt they did) , but how could they produce a kid??? I' m not talking about minor differences like skin hue or ear fluctuations or bad haircuts. Remember , Bones was always saying that Spock's heart was where his liver should be and his blood was green and his metabolism was all off - so how did this happen!?!!!

I mean a lion and tiger can have a baby, but they're both cats right? But you can't mate a tiger and a water buffalo and get a baby.

So answer me that, dear Trekkies, and if you do, I'll manage to come up with some reason or rationalization as to how Uhura got her groove back.
The answer was indirectly explained in the episode The Chase on ST The Next Generation.

From Memory Alpha

The ancient humanoids were one of the oldest sentient species and possibly the first humanoid species to evolve in the Milky Way Galaxy on an ancient planet. They flourished some 4.5 billion years ago and explored the galaxy, but found no other lifeforms like themselves.
Believing that the life span of a single species was finite, the ancient humanoids seeded the primordial environments of many planets with a DNA code that would direct the evolution of life on that planet towards a form similar to their own. At least Earth, Indri VIII, Loren III, Ruah IV, and Vilmor II were directly seeded by the ancient race. Other species that likely originated from seeded primordial seas included Klingons, Romulans/Vulcans, and Cardassians. Some of the fragments of DNA also contained parts of a computer program designed to display a holographic message from an ancient humanoid explaining her race and their actions. It was hoped that their descendant species would come together in the spirit of cooperation in order to assemble the program.

Watched The Changeling last night and one disturbing plot element they glossed over was Uhura being mind erased.
What I'd like to know is that when her memories were all erased, how is it that she remembered to speak fluent Swahili?

I may have actually bought it from the "Bookmobile" (anyone remember those?) where I also purchased several "Power" Records & Comic Book sets!

I still have that book, but it's packed away in a box along with about 100 other old Star Trek books.

She wasn't physically brain damaged, only had every memory erased reducing her mental state to that of a newborn.
Since her brain was still intact, they were able to reeducate her, bringing her intellectually back up to her former level...

But wait! She had everything in her mind erased: every memory, every relationship, every experience... everything that would make her who she was. She wouldn't remember her parents, siblings, relatives, childhood friends, school experiences, going through puberty, romances, going to Star Fleet academy, anyone she was friendly with or close to throughout her career or on the Enterprise!

This is a devastating that would render her never being the same again despite relearning her education. All her relationships would be altered. She'd bond to Dr. McCoy and Nurse Chapel as her parents, with them being her first new memories and having no memories of her real parents. All the experiences that made her who she was were deleted, so she'd become a very different person since our character, our strengths, our beliefs are developed in us by our experiences & our challenges. For Uhura, all these would be new.

Consider that she'd have to re-meet her family again, having no idea who they were outside of the records she could read.

I've learned not to let these types of plot errors bother me. Many movies and TV shows have plot errors, but you have to just let them go sometimes or it will just make your head hurt.

I could've swore *&)T*$% that I posted a quote quiz 4yall. Well maybe I didn't hit the right button. SO....

Who said this and in what episode?
"Things. Horrible things! Visitors brought them in their vessel from a planet. Ingraham B."

I don't think this question has been answered yet.

That quote is from the episode "Operation: Annihilate".

The answer was indirectly explained in the episode The Chase on ST The Next Generation.

From Memory Alpha

I think that's about as good an answer as can be said. Thanks, @Citzen Rules! I remember that when I first saw that episode I was kind of ticked that one race "seeded" the galaxy and that everybody was kind of kin to everyone. I didn't want the Klingons and the Vulcans and the Humans, etc. to be related. It's their differences that make/made them so cool! But I grew less grumpy about it over time. Like @lenslady said, "relax it's just a tv show, you can't make every piece of the puzzle fall into place like a Rubik's cube..........but, I would like to add that I think it's because Vulcans are badass! Their DNA, IMO, overpowers the Human DNA and produces more Vulcan-like attributes and abilities and internal organs and green blood and vitamins and iron and...where was I? Oh yeah, Vulcans rule!

BTW, @Citizen Rules, that pic you posted of the humanoid from TNG episode, The Chase reminded me that they looked a lot like the changelings from the Dominion on DS9, except the changelings had hair---well, I think they wore hair so they could fit in a little better with people. I wonder if the old humanoids didn't drop a seed on the changeling's home world? And speaking of the changelings, y'all were talking about TOS, The Changeling----Hmmm.

Odo could definitely be kin to the ancient humanoids:

Those pics are all the same person? I never would have figured that out.
They're the same person. His hair was longer when he appeared in Psych-Out, but he's the same actor.

Another screenshot from Psych-Out (1968)

I have a vague memory of bookmobiles, although I never had any use for them.

I don't think this question has been answered yet.

That quote is from the episode "Operation: Annihilate".
I would have gotten this one, but I was already asleep when it was posted. It was Kirk's sister-in-law just seconds before she died.

What I'd like to know is that when her memories were all erased, how is it that she remembered to speak fluent Swahili?
I had always assumed that the majority of her memories were erased and the only memories left intact were from her childhood which is when she learned Swahili.

Except .....I have had a little question nagging at me of similar importance and/or disturbance, since I' ve been participating in this ( wonderful) thread.

And that is- how did Spock's parents ever have him?? I mean they were two totally different species, right? Human and Vulcan. Sure they could mate ( assuming they had the right anatomical equipment and I have no reason to doubt they did) , but how could they produce a kid??? I' m not talking about minor differences like skin hue or ear fluctuations or bad haircuts. Remember , Bones was always saying that Spock's heart was where his liver should be and his blood was green and his metabolism was all off - so how did this happen!?!!!
I'm sure the whole business of the interspecies birth of Spock was done quite logically.

Incidentally, the name Uhura came about when Gene Roddenberry saw Nichelle Nichols carrying around a book entitled Uhuru. Uhuru is Swahili for freedom.