Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Very slow sweet British movie. Almost bailed out, but made it through. Narrated by Julie Christie, which made it all worthwhile.

'After Life' (1998)

Dir.: Hirokazu Kore-eda

The Synopsis of this film states: "After death, people have just one week to choose only a memory to keep for eternity."

Only a handful of directors could have accomplished this film, of which Kore-eda is one. It's a masterful observation on what it is to be human, what we make of our time on this planet and what we leave behind. The recently deceased are interviewed by a panel, to share their favourite memory in life, before they can move on into the afterlife.

The film evokes memories of Bergman movies, and is almost like a Dogme film in terms of production. It also has a touch of Kurosawa about it and no doubt Ozu (who I shamefully haven't seen anywhere near enough of). The cast is presumably made up from both actors and real life people, who are just simply trying to convey their brightest, happiest memories on camera. It works remarkably well in terms of a docu-film style for the first hour or so, then the plot moves on to reveal how the panel are also involved.

It's a pretty ingenious idea from Kore-eda who was making only his 2nd feature. He was a documentary maker before his features, so some of that experience no doubt crossed over into this project. And while it's a very one dimensional film (the setting and tone is constant throughout), Kore-eda nails down the humanism and naturalistic beauty of what it is to be alive.

There is one tiny moment in which an elderly woman recalls caring for her brother just before his death, where she wells up and is overcome with emotion - and that realness, captured and turned into film by Kore-eda is just jaw droppingly moving and brilliant. This is a film that not only shows how scared Kore-eda is of amnesia, loss of feeling and emotion but also truly shows how in tune Kore-eda is with all of it and how he is able to convey it all to us in 2 hours.

8.5/10

Unregistered User
'After Life' (1998)

Dir.: Hirokazu Kore-eda

The Synopsis of this film states: "After death, people have just one week to choose only a memory to keep for eternity."

Only a handful of directors could have accomplished this film, of which Kore-eda is one. It's a masterful observation on what it is to be human, what we make of our time on this planet and what we leave behind. The recently deceased are interviewed by a panel, to share their favourite memory in life, before they can move on into the afterlife.

The film evokes memories of Bergman movies, and is almost like a Dogme film in terms of production. It also has a touch of Kurosawa about it and no doubt Ozu (who I shamefully haven't seen anywhere near enough of). The cast is presumably made up from both actors and real life people, who are just simply trying to convey their brightest, happiest memories on camera. It works remarkably well in terms of a docu-film style for the first hour or so, then the plot moves on to reveal how the panel are also involved.

It's a pretty ingenious idea from Kore-eda who was making only his 2nd feature. He was a documentary maker before his features, so some of that experience no doubt crossed over into this project. And while it's a very one dimensional film (the setting and tone is constant throughout), Kore-eda nails down the humanism and naturalistic beauty of what it is to be alive.

There is one tiny moment in which an elderly woman recalls caring for her brother just before his death, where she wells up and is overcome with emotion - and that realness, captured and turned into film by Kore-eda is just jaw droppingly moving and brilliant. This is a film that not only shows how scared Kore-eda is of amnesia, loss of feeling and emotion but also truly shows how in tune Kore-eda is with all of it and how he is able to convey it all to us in 2 hours.

8.5/10

This has been on my list for too long.

Unregistered User

Border (2018)

A lot different to what I expected and even during the film, it took a completely different turn from the norm. Really liked it.

The Song Remains the Same (1976)

Over 2 hours of Led Zep greatness. Great live performance.

The Crowd (King Vidor, 1928)

Proof that spending time with The Sims can actually be worthwhile

Le notti di Cabiria [The Nights Of Cabiria] (Federico Fellini, 1957)
+
Very much a pro-life fillum

This question possibly belongs on another thread, but thought I'd ask all the active reviewers here:

Has anyone seen ( Jim Jarmusch's) Night On Earth ?
Impressions?
Do you recommend?

Night on Earth 1991
Five separate stories of five cab drivers shot on location in
Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Rome and Helsinki, all on the same night.
Well done, small indie film by Jim Jarmusch,
I thought the L.A. and Paris stories were the best ones.
Do you recommend?
Yes

Thanks @John-Connor .

Whit Stillman's Metropolitan, first thing I'v ever seen by him as the idea of a WASP Woodley Allen didn't really seem that appealing but I admit I really enjoyed this and it does offer something beyond aping Allen's style. Very self aware as with Allen but it takes the form more of the lead character being deliberately over intellectual and stilted. Besides that a very strong cast with Chris Eigeman especially making me wonder why he didn't become better known back in the 90's.

8/10

Little Fish (2005)

Good low-key film with a stellar cast. It's fairly predictable as the realistic stories of addicts can be but performed well. Hugo Weaving and Sam Neill add great weight.

Today was my 10th wedding anniversary. My wife had been wanting to show me Field of Dreams because I had never seen it (I am not generally a fan of Kevin Costner (but I love the last 30 minutes of Draft Day)). Anyways, I really loved it. The movie was o.k. and then James Earl Jones showed up. His character's story, The Doctor's story and then Kevin Costner's story all tied up together in an amazing intertwining bow that was phenomenal. I loved the movie and I wished that they still made movies with such heart these days.

parasite – 2019

a dramatic, suspense, ect shoplifters from last year
the plot got a little boring by the middle, then it came around
the director used, i don't know how many genres, interesting
a social critic that can be viewed from many corners
korean acting is something else, all great