Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Evangeline (Edwin Carewe, 1929)

Almost poetic, but who in a time of crisis calls out for herbs?

1st Re-watch...haven't seen too much discussion on this site regarding this movie but I loved it...richly entertaining and endlessly imaginative, featuring Oscar-worthy performances from Taron Egerton and Dallas Bryce Howard.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
ikiru - 1952

a man trapped in the bureaucracy of japanose public services
the news of a stomach cancer makes him think about the life he had
without been proud of anything he decides to enjoy the rest of his life
having the pleasure he never had. he realizes that doesn't fulfill that sore
he decides to look for those no one ever looked and fond that fulfillment

those who make the rules should see this movie. but they build statues,
for what? immortalization? no point if no one knows what they stand for

he who thinks he is bigger than the rest must go to the cemetery.
there he will see what life really is: a handful of dirt.

the limits of control
Great movie. The first Kurosawa I ever saw. I'm glad it went on longer than I thought it would.

Le Havre - 7.5/10
I wish there was more connecting, between Marcel/wife, and Marcel/Idrissa, but I loved the inner warmth, and the warmth to those around them, even if it wasn't "professional" (I hate that word so much - which is usually a euphemism and an excuse to be "do-nothing" type of person)

Lights in the Dusk - 6.5/10
Kaurismaki usually has a positive to all the conflict, so this was quite a departure, and hence, probably my least favorite drama out of the 15 I've seen of his.

The Other Side of Hope - 8/10
Very good, touching movie. I wish it would have went on a little longer, because it was good, but also for resolve.

Thoughtful slow movie. I liked it. Annette Bening made the movie for me.

Dying to Survive (2018) - 6.5/10.

A nice watch. Uses some typical movie tactics to induce emotion. A little too convenient at times. But it can be overlooked. Rated at 8 on IMDB, definitely should not be that high! Read that this movie made the Chinese government take a look at drug pricing after it's release, so that is worth something.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
André Øvredal

I had quite high expectations regarding this movie given how it was promoted and marketed, but again, it's another predictable horror movie. I have no clue how this managed a PG-13 rating, however.
It's based on a children's book series aimed at kids aged 9-12, so I figured the film wasn't intending to be rated higher than that, otherwise it would be excluding the source material's target audience. If it's pushing the PG-13 rating though, that would be a pleasant surprise for me.

If the truth be told, the best thing about this movie is the production values...this is a comic book movie that REALLY looks like a comic book movie. It won richly deserved Oscars for art direction/set direction, some INCREDIBLE makeup and for Stephen Sondheim's song "Sooner or Later", effectively crooned by Madonna playing femme fatale Breathless Mahoney (best character name ever). Warren Beatty's attention to detail, particular his eye for color, actually rivals Vincente Minnelli. This movie is absolutely GORGEOUS to look at and has a fun story to boot. Beatty underplays as the square-jawed hero and lets his all-star cast shine, led by Al Pacino in his Oscar-nominated performance as Big Boy Caprice.

The Lost World (Harry O. Hoyt, 1925)

You'd think the muppets that later went after the big monkey might have learned summat from this

The Lost World (Harry O. Hoyt, 1925)

You'd think the muppets that later went after the big monkey might have learned summat from this
Wonderful film, and very exciting.There were phenomenal stop motion special effects from Willis O'Brien, who went on to do King Kong.