Looking for an 80's movie like Kids

Tools    

I worked in a video store from 1987-1988 and there was a movie on the shelf about dysfunctional teens. I never watched it, but the thought of it has never left my mind. I remember a few people saying it was a disturbing movie. There's no way it could be a popular movie because I would know it. I've been thinking for years that it was Kids, which I'm watching tonight, but that came out in 1995. Any ideas?

The first two that spring to mind are Suburbia and Over The Edge Over The Edge is the least likely of the two, but it's on my 100, so I'd recommend that anyway.

It wasn't either of those; I'm still meaning to see Over the Edge actually. I'm pretty sure this was a low budget, limited release type of movie.

Sorry for the slight off-topic. I don't think this is the movie you are looking for, but as you said in another thread you enjoy movies like this, have you tried:

Right to Kill? 1995 a made-for-tv movie that apparently was never released to video.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089920/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I came across it while having a look for the movie you described above.

No, thanks for the try. I only vaguely remember what the VHS box looked like and what people said. The box was a dark color, and I think the movie looked very gritty.

I found it; it turns out it's a documentary which is probably why it was hard to find. It was nominated for an Academy award. Thanks for the help guys.

Streetwise (1984)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Never thought of that one, even though I saw it in the theatre when it came out. Yes, it's disturbing, but it's also poetic. Seattle is so inviting yet offputting in this flick.

A system of cells interlinked
Over the Edge is a classic! Watched it recently. Totally nails the time, clothes, and attitudes of the types of kids I grew up with. Not really a great film, but the end scene was lifted by Pump Up the Volume years later...

Thread Marked!