The last time a film made you jump?

Tools    

In my case perhaps not for the reason you may expect. It was in Caché / Hidden (2005).

WARNING: "" spoilers below
The scene where Majid commits suicide. Being unprepared for it I cried out and jumped all at once – I was that shocked. I can't remember that happening during a film before or since.

I have to return some videotapes...
Insidious made me jump a little and I also agree with Sinister although I think both of these aren't really good movies. I kind of miss the old school type of horror. Babadook made me jump, but once you know the ending the movie isn't really that scary anymore.

Why did I read the title of the thread like, 'Last time you made a dump?' What's wrong with me...
Maybe it's the weird Futura "j".

Absentia (2012).

Another creepy, modern horror. A simple scene involving a shower curtain.

Absentia (2012).

Another creepy, modern horror. A simple scene involving a shower curtain.
Oh aye?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The chair through the window in Scream.

Last time I saw The Grudge.

Since then I've just been permanently braced against jumpscares during obvious horror setups.

The ambient noise ducks out and the character is looking around frightened? I mute that ****.

Last time I saw The Grudge.

Since then I've just been permanently braced against jumpscares during obvious horror setups.

The ambient noise ducks out and the character is looking around frightened? I mute that ****.
I know what you mean: you understand the editing language in the end and get wise to the tricks.

There was a very clever independent horror film made for some horror thing on BBC Three a few months ago. It subverted the usual format really well and involved a character looking towards an open door for several seconds.

Then, the supernatural threat was instead right next to the person, above them on the bed. It was great.

Its been so long that a horror film made me jump... seriously I watch a lot of horror that I know what to expect.. so its hard for me to think of any film...

I know what you mean: you understand the editing language in the end and get wise to the tricks.

There was a very clever independent horror film made for some horror thing on BBC Three a few months ago. It subverted the usual format really well and involved a character looking towards an open door for several seconds.

Then, the supernatural threat was instead right next to the person, above them on the bed. It was great.
Sounds good, but I'm also wary of double-fakeouts since even that's becoming a cliche.

I've heard someone say "you only get one" and I'm inclined to agree. You startle the audience once, you're not going to get the same reaction twice unless they're total horror movie virgins.

Then again some people are just easy. It used to get me all the time, but now I'm going,

"It's behind her, it's behind her, it's behind her, it's behind her, it's behind her-"

*LOUD MUSICAL STING*

"Called it."

Sounds good, but I'm also wary of double-fakeouts since even that's becoming a cliche.
Oh, this was choice, believe me.

I have to return some videotapes...
The last film that actually made me jump was House of the Devil (2009). I forgot about this little gem, it's got a really slow build up, but I found myself really into the atmosphere it was setting. Its a great concept when you actually watch the film, but the last 20 minutes are brutal and worth the wait in my opinion. Ti West doesn't always do great stuff, but this is probably the best thing he has ever done.

The last film that actually made me jump was House of the Devil (2009). I forgot about this little gem, it's got a really slow build up, but I found myself really into the atmosphere it was setting. Its a great concept when you actually watch the film, but the last 20 minutes are brutal and worth the wait in my opinion. Ti West doesn't always do great stuff, but this is probably the best thing he has ever done.
I'd not heard of that one, it sounds interesting.

I'll take your word on that one.
Ha ha. Okay. I've located it – it was titled 3AM and part of BBC Three's The Fear run of short horror films.

Here's a link to the short on YouTube. There's also a good one called Anomaly.

Ha ha. Okay. I've located it – it was titled 3AM and part of BBC Three's The Fear run of short horror films.

Here's a link to the short on YouTube.
DAH!!! **** you! He was looking at a clock, not a door!