top 5 submarine movies

Tools    

Captain, It's pretty cool for several different story elements and of course Richard Widmark in it. It starts off with a mystery, sort of cloak and danger cold war stuff.

Honorable mentions?

I've never seen On the Beach - would it be considered a submarine movie or was a sub just involved (I know it takes place after a nuclear war).

Same question for Ice Station Zebra (another I've never seen). Is this a sub movie or is a sub merely involved.

Submarine (2010)

Richard Ayoade portrayed suffucation and compression on land better than any submarine, every school scene showing the main character finding it not just hard to concentrate but to breath in class is alot more relatable than most scenes.

On the Beach, well you get a Stanley Kramer film with the 'A' team: Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner and Fred Astaire to boot. It's almost all on the sub as they try to find safe harbor after a nuclear war. I liked it.

I seen Ice Station Zebra when I was a little kid, I don't remember anything except I thought the name was cool and there was snow. Sorry that wasn't very helpful.

On the Beach, well you get a Stanley Kramer film with the 'A' team: Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner and Fred Astaire to boot. It's almost all on the sub as they try to find safe harbor after a nuclear war. I liked it.

I seen Ice Station Zebra when I was a little kid, I don't remember anything except I thought the name was cool and there was snow. Sorry that wasn't very helpful.

Oops! I just looked to see that both of these were mentioned back on page one (by the OP and by you, CR). So I guess they both are sub movies!

Indeed they are The Pacific (2010) miniseries which was a companion to Band of Brothers had one of the main characters as a Sub Commander. I like it better than Band of Brothers.

Indeed they are The Pacific (2010) miniseries which was a companion to Band of Brothers had one of the main characters as a Sub Commander. I like it better than Band of Brothers.
Coincidence: I got HBO as part of a package negotiation with the cable co. this past year. In the spring I watched Band of Brothers (On-Demand).
A few weeks ago I got done watching The Pacific. Liked them both. They were different, so hard to compare.
I think I preferred B.O.B. because it focused more on the regiment as a team whereas T.P. revolved around the stories of 3 central characters (although, hands up for the guy who played Snafu - now "Mr. Robot" - he seriously gave me the creeps and I couldn't tell if he was a genuine psycho, a pretend psycho or someone who coped by learning not to care - when an actor can creep me out, then the acting's good!)

So, which guy from T.P. played a Sub Commander?

So, which guy from T.P. played a Sub Commander?
Whoops, I'm guessing I'm wrong about that? I bet I'm thinking of War and Remembrance (1988), in fact I'm pretty sure of that, I hope.

I found out what the mystery sub movie was....Hell and High Water (1954) with Richard Widmark. Awesome sub flick.

That's a strange bra that man's wearing.

My top 5 submarine movies of all time here s my list:
1_hunt for red october
2_crimson tide
3_das boot
4_k19 the widowmaker
5_ice station zebra
Ther are some more solid submarine action entries but i mentioned my current top 5
Have your say and give your top 5
Great thread! A lot of good films already posted.

My Naval battle list is much longer, but my fav submarine movies, that take place on a sub top5:

The Cruel Sea is on a ship HK great movie though, I picked it up from your top100 but forgot to give you a shout out in my review.

Watchlist:
The Bedford Incident 1965
Ice Station Zebra 1968
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea 1954
Destination Tokyo 1943
Murphy’s War 1971
Morning Departure 1950
Mystery Submarine 1963
72 Meters 2004
Kursk 2018
The Hunley 1999
Operation Pacific 1951
We Dive at Dawn 1943
Above Us the Waves 1955
Up Periscope 1959
Hostile Waters 1997
Black Sea 2014
Below 2002
Submarine Command 1951
Hell and High Water 1954
In Enemy Hands 2004
Torpedo Alley 1953
Phantom 2013

Great thread indeed, nice to see it re-surface.

Picking a top 5 though is really tough. For me though:

1. Das Boot (1981)
2. The Enemy Below (1957)
3. Run Silent Run Deep (1958)
4. Above Us the Waves (1955)
5. We Dive at Dawn (1943)

Couple of honourable mentions though for Operation Pacific (1951) and the rarely seen U47 Kapitänleutnant Prien (1958). Futhermore beyond the realm of movies, I highly recommend the TV series The Silent Service, or for those interested in video games, the Silent Hunter series.

The trick is not minding
is it weird that in all my years watching films, I can't think of a single Submarine film that I have seen? Seriously, not Das Boot, nor Red October or Crimson Tide or any other older ones. I must remedy this

Submarine you say?? Das Boot!

But the OG submarine thing is of course always, with Jules Verne's 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. So the1954 movie on the novel will always be up there for me.

I'm bumping this old thread again as I've been watching a boatload of submarine movies. I need me some more recommendations.

I've seen these:
49th Parallel (1941)
Crash Dive (1943)
Das Boot (1981)
Destination Tokyo (1943)
Hell And High Water (1954)
In Harms Way (1965)
Morning Departure (1950)
Operation Pacific 1951
Operation Petticoat (1959)
Submarine Command (1951)
The Bedford Incident (1965)
The Enemy Below 1957
The Hunt for Red October (1990)
Torpedo Run 1958
Up Periscope (1959)
We Dive at Dawn (1943)

I'm mainly looking for 1940s-1960s sub movies...but above the sea naval ship movies from the 40s-60s are good too.

Das Boot is Das Best

Hunt for Red October

Below

U-571

Throw in a B/W classic of your choice...

I'm bumping this old thread again as I've been watching a boatload of submarine movies. I need me some more recommendations.
Impressive list. Some others I can think of:

Run Silent Run Deep (1958)
Above Us The Waves (1955)
The Spy in Black (1939)
U47 Kapitänleutnant Prien (1958)

Naval ship films, from that general area and timeframe I can think of:

Away All Boats (1956)
Gift Horse (1952)
In Which We Serve (1942)
The Cruel Sea (1953)
The Battle of The River Plate (1956)
They Were Expendable (1945)