Does the movie theatre change your impression?

Tools    

I disagree that the sweeping LotR shots are not the same at home. When you are immersed, you are immersed. I'm lucky to have large computer monitors, but if you sit back, shut off the lights, and aren't eating something, I've found you can get more than enough virtual-vertigo at those shots.

You ready? You look ready.
I typically am a stone throw's away from having an aneurysm when I go to the movies. I'll always be more engrossed at home, but the big screen and sound is needed for some flicks; while I might have both of those at home, it just doesn't compete with the theater.

But seriously, if I don't return from the movies one day...you will know why.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Seeing a movie on a Friday or Saturday night at the theater will make any movie better than if you watched it at home.

There are certain movies that deserves respect and it can be given them by only watch them at theaters and rest things are depends upon your comfort and interests that whether you want to watch them at theater or to enjoy at home. I will prefer them to enjoy in a theater.

Yes it really effects on me.And after the movie i found my self a actor of the movie.The movie effects me a lot.But the entertainment in theater is multiple times greater than in home.
fence for dogs

Meh. I just like to be comfy when watching a film. Really just sit back and forget I'm watching a film. That's pretty difficult to do in a theater no matter how immersive the film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's really too bad. I rarely ever have that problem but I'm a pretty patient guy who can usually ignore problems from outside influences, especially if I snap their little pencil necks between my thumb and forefinger while having a pleasant conversation with my wife and daughter.

Semper Fooey
Comedies work different (some of them) in a theater. Laurel and Hardy seemed funny growing up watching them on television, but seeing them in a revival theater was a very different experience. Nonstop laughter from the audience. The Producers (first one) seemed to broadly played viewed on the tube. On the theater it seemed funnier and not over acted and Springtime for Hitler was funny on television, but the audience and I laughed ten times harder watching it on the big screen.

Yes. Some movie theaters change my impression in terms of cleanliness and silence when watching.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on seeing a movie at a movie theatre versus seeing it on DVD/at home. Does the theatre add more to certain movies? I believe it probably does. A good example would be Titantic. The only way to truly appreciate this movie is to see it in a theatre. Cameron went to great lengths to give a realistic depiction of the event. Some movies are just meant for the big screen. The Lord of the Rings is another example. Those sweeping shots just arent the same without the big screen.

I find that some movies are better viewed on the big screen, just as you say, however, I have also seen movies that work better on the small screen. Some movies just have this "close up and personal" kind of feel to them that works best on a television screen. Not to say they aren't good on the big screen, but just probably better on your TV.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Heavy dramas can go either way and that's mostly dependent on the quality of the crowd in the theater with you. If people are being quiet and respectful, then I think it can be beneficial (especially as opposed to the viewing experience in my house, which is loaded with distractions thanks to my noisy and attention-seeking pets and the inevitable telephone call that always comes when I've just settled down to watch something or at some pivotal point in the movie).