A great documentary

Tools    

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills

This is the best documentary I have ever seen. Its chilling, with a large range of real life characters. It's even humorous at times (mainly character related..nothing to do with the murders). It would be difficult to script something like this....and this sh*t really happened.

Anyone else see this. Comments.....

&eurl

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...N&hl=en&tab=wv#

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
I heard about it a while back and wanted to watch it but never got my hands on it. Thanks for reminding me about it, i'll try to watch it sometime. I also heard very good things about the movie from the reviews I read.

I Am Registered And So Can You!
I was on the fence about renting it. Thanks for recommending it, I will probably put it on my list now. If you are into documentaries there are a few really really good ones that I would recommend (sorry if there is a documentaries recommendation's list already):

Born Into Brothels
Crumb
Jesus Camp

All those docs look like they will be good. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've seen this and I have to say whether those guys did it or not it was one of the most biased trails I've ever seen. There was no way they were ever going to get a fair trail like that. It's hard to believe people can be biased enough to convict someone based on what they wear, listen to and believe. Which was basically what the whole case was based around.

Yes, they had the statement given by one of the boys but there was all sorts of controversy about the levels of coercion by the police along with the fact that the guy giving the statement wasnt the most mentally sound individual. The rest of the evidence presented in the case was circumstantial and the other testimonies were nothing but hear say and misleading information given by so called expert witnesses. Some of whom were as you can see in the film were discredited on the stand. Or weren't allowed to be for some reason (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see the movie).

Maybe they did do it and if they did then it's good that they're locked up because what happened to those kids was disgusting. But the fact still remains that they were convicted on nothing more than hear say and the fact that they were a little bit different from everyone else. In my opinion the state got too emotionally involved in the case and felt the need to find and convict someone, anyone to appease an angry crowd. Which is a total abuse of the legal system.

Not even mentioning one of the kids father who was a little dodgy if you ask me. But that might just be the documentary talking through me . . .

Great film. One of the few times in my life that I've been genuinely gobsmacked and stared at my tv in disbelief. It's truly scary stuff.

Take a look at the sequel

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0239894/

And a third one is supposed to be released later this year.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I'm a big fan of Non-Fiction Films, its difficult to makes lists, as i watch a couple new ones each week, so my favourite list is always changing, or expanding.

However for those interested in these sorts of films, may I reccomend teh following. I'm currently home as a result of a work inury, so I'm posting like crazy, however I will try and continue posting a couple of these a day.

If there is a subject matter that you are interested in, post it here, perhaps i have a doc thats up your alley.

Many of these can be viewed online (with the producers blessing), but I always try and buy a DVD copy as the Extra expanded interviews are great.

AFTER INNOCENCE tells the dramatic and compelling story of the exonerated - innocent men wrongfully imprisoned for decades and then released after DNA evidence proved their innocence. The film focuses on the gripping story of seven men and their emotional journey back into society and efforts to rebuild their lives. Include are a police officer, an army sergeant and a young father sent to prison and even death row for decades for crimes they did not commit.

The film premiered at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival, where it won the Special Jury Prize, and also won top awards at the Seattle Film Festival, Boston Independent Film Festival, Nantucket Film Festival, Newport Beach Film Festival, and Full Frame Documentary Festival. The film was released theatrically by New Yorker Films before being broadcast on Showtime. AFTER INNOCENCE was shortlisted for the 78th Academy Awards.

American Drug War: The Last White Hope

35 years after Nixon started the war on drugs, we have over one million non-violent drug offenders living behind bars.

The War on Drugs has become the longest and most costly war in American history, the question has become, how much more can the country endure? Inspired by the death of four family members from "legal drugs" Texas filmmaker Kevin Booth sets out to discover why the Drug War has become such a big failure. Three and a half years in the making, the film follows gang members, former DEA agents, CIA officers, narcotics officers, judges, politicians, prisoners and celebrities. Most notably the film befriends Freeway Ricky Ross; the man many accuse for starting the Crack epidemic, who after being arrested discovered that his cocaine source had been working for the CIA.
AMERICAN DRUG WAR shows how money, power and greed have corrupted not just drug pushers and dope fiends, but an entire government. More importantly, it shows what can be done about it. This is not some 'pro-drug' stoner film, but a collection of expert testimonials from the ground troops on the front lines of the drug war, the ones who are fighting it and the ones who are living it.

Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit and the Era of Predatory Lenders (2006) is an independent feature-length documentary film and (2007) book that chronicles abusive practices in the credit card industry. Written and directed by James Scurlock.
Maxed Out examines the many problems associated with escalating U.S. consumer debt. Scurlock places his weightiest emphasis on the ends of the spectrum rooted in extreme evil (read: abuse) – such as the capital lenders who wheedle poor farm families into assuming unmanageable loans and college students into placing massive amounts on credit cards.

He also touches on the end rooted in extreme tragedy, such as the debtors who sink so far in over their heads that suicide represents the only conceivable out.
The film’s many interviewees include: Harvard University financial analyst Elizabeth Warren (who pontificates on the lucrativeness of high-interest mortgage banking) and born-again Christian radio host Dave Ramsey, who offers difficult, on-air advice to the fiscally burdened by drawing on his own experiences as a debtor.

The complete doc can be viewed online for free, though as always i reccomend picking up your own copy.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OU081M?...BE3F95RWTJMYA&

I want one thing to be clear here. I am Canadian, but this isn't in any way shape or form an indictment on the American people. The Money Lenders have us by the short and curlies up here as well.

&feature=related

one documentry i found interresting was bigger stronger faster
had alot of interresting info about steroids and how its affectted different people

Not a great documentary, but interesting as well as being one that confirmed a few things that I'd come up with over the years myself.

You can watch it on youtube and video.google.

More in keeping with the theme of the thread is this one, of course.

Which shouldn't be confused with this.

This is quite good, too, and very touching. Made by the same director as the Paradise Lost documentaries.

I would assume it's about documentary movies. I enjoy watching many documentary movies. My favorite documentary movies are Micheal Moore films. I like his controversial topics. I think Sicko, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Columbia Bowling are powerful messages.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/books-films/

The information is good in Moores movies, but unfortunately he plays fast and loose with context. Especially in Roger & Me.

Moores films should almost have their own category..the docudramedy maybe.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
had alot of interresting info about steroids and how its affectted different people
I also watched this. I agree it's very school and it shows the benefits and pressures of athletics, wrestlers, and physical performers to take these drugs and how it has become less of a extra into more of a necessity.

It also makes some interesting devil's advocate arguements that steroids are not the boogey man they are made out to be. I really enjoyed it.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

hey mofo's for those interested in Non-Fiction , I'm hosting a Stream

check it out

Docs offered include
Bigger Stronger Faster, Crips and Bloods- Made in America, Food Matters, Fuuture of Food, War Made Easy, Blue Gold, Maxed out as well, as my favourite doc du jour, Gashole,

Moores films should almost have their own category..the docudramedy maybe.
Good one. I think he intends to show facts through entertainment.

hey mofo's for those interested in Non-Fiction , I'm hosting a Stream

check it out

Docs offered include
Bigger Stronger Faster, Crips and Bloods- Made in America, Food Matters, Fuuture of Food, War Made Easy, Blue Gold, Maxed out as well, as my favourite doc du jour, Gashole,

Added to the Stream above (runs 24 -7) Gasland- about natural gas drilling and the effect on the water tables, Who killed the Electric Car, An Unreasonable Man, Orwell Rolls in His Grave as well as selected episodes from teh Morgan Spurlock show, 30 days.

i have no idea on documentaries....