The Roles They Turned Down.

Tools    

What knowledge do you have of actors/actresses who had to turn down lead roles because of other commitments or issues?

I know that Tom Selleck turned down the lead for Raiders of the Lost Ark because he was obligated and tied to the TV series "Magnum"

Also, Veronica Cartwright was supposed to potray Ripley in "Alien" before a casting change was made.

And wasn't Jean Claude Van-Damme supposed to play the predator in "Predator".

Please, discuss.

Al Pacino turned down the role of Dave Kujan in The Usual Suspects. Felt it was a big mistake.

Others: There are numerous actors who could have played the three leads in the Star Wars original trilogy. For example, Star Wars: A New Hope and Carrie had joint casting sessions. William Katt and Sissy Spacek could have easily played Luke and Leia, while Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher could have played Tommy and Carrie. Christopher Walken and John Travolta were considered for Han Solo. Toshiro Mifune and Peter Cushing were considered for Obi-wan Kenobi.

Speaking of John Travolta's role as Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, the part was written for Michael Madsen and Daniel Day-Lewis tried out for the part.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Fay Wray was originally offered the role of Rose Dawson Calvert in Titanic but turned it down (I think because of her health)

When Victim (1961) was in the process of casting, literally no one wanted to be attached to it because of its pro-homosexual stance. It took ages to find the leads until Dirk Bogarde and Sylvia Syms accepted the roles.

She didn't turn it down, but interestingly, Cynthia Rothrock had a role written specifically for her in Total Recall but the men didn't want to be upstaged, so Sharon Stone got the part instead.

Tina Aumont refused the role of Suzy Banyon in Suspiria, Jessica Harper got it instead as my avatar suggests

Zhang Ziyi refused to return to the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel unless Ang Lee directed, and he didn't, so she refused to appear in flashback scenes.

And Van Damme was the lead I think, but he was kicked off for bad behaviour or something like that?

Also, Veronica Cartwright was supposed to potray Ripley in "Alien" before a casting change was made.
Yeah, I remember that. I feel like she found out on the set but that may be wrong. In any case, she owned Lambert.

I think Terence Stamp turned down the Charles Bronson role in Once Upon a Time in the West.

I'm pretty sure this is not the first thread on this subject but here are some of the ones I know about:

Most film buffs know that Doris Day turned down the role of Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate...she felt the script was "vulgar."

John Travolta turned down the role of Billy Flynn in the 2002 musical Chicago.

Marie Osmond turned down the role of Sandy in the 1978 film Grease

Laurence Olivier turned down the role of Don Corleone in The Godfather

Molly Ringwald turned down the role of Vivian in Pretty Woman

Matt Damon turned down the role of Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight

Leonardo DiCaprio turned down the role of Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights

Hallie Berry turned down the role of Annie in Speed

Mark Wahlberg turned down the role of Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain

Sinatra as John McClane? Are you serious?
Just looked it up, Fox were apparently contractually obliged to offer Sinatra the role because he played Joe Leland in this film - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Detective_(1968_film). Leland was his name in the novels and was changed to John Mclane for Die Hard which was an adaptation of this book - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothin...r_(Thorp_novel)

I kinda want to see that film now, funny that Sugar Ray Robinson was in it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was also one of the first actors considered for the role of John McClane, when Die Hard was being considered a sequel for Schwarzenegger's film Commando.

Bruce Willis and Liam Neeson were considered for the role of Boromir in Lord of the Rings, Willis in particular lobbied hard for the role.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Arnie wasn't the first choice to play Quaid in Total Recall either. Richard Dreyfuss, Patrick Swayze and William Hurt were all seriously considered or offered the part before it went to him!

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Chevy Chase turned down the role of Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters. I like Chevy and all, but I honestly don't think he would've been very good for that role. Granted, I've always been partial to Bill Murray, so I'm biased in his favor. For example, I've ended up in several disagreements for preferring his 1984 version of The Razor's Edge to the 1946 version by a couple hundred country miles. So take that as you will.

Heres one that made my jaw hit the floor.

Burt Reynolds turned down the Han Solo role in Star Wars!

He also refused to play James Bond, paving the way for George Lazenby. Other leads he refused were in "Terms of Endearment" which Jack Nicholson picked up and won an Oscar. Also, the role opposite Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman".

I'm with you, Camo, Arnold would have been terrible in that movie.
Arnold would have been good as Hans, played by Alan Rickman.

Chevy Chase turned down the role of Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters. I like Chevy and all, but I honestly don't think he would've been very good for that role. Granted, I've always been partial to Bill Murray, so I'm biased in his favor. For example, I've ended up in several disagreements for preferring his 1984 version of The Razor's Edge to the 1946 version by a couple hundred country miles. So take that as you will.
Yeah, it's pretty impossible picturing anyone else but Bill Murray playing Venkman.