V for Vendetta

Tools    

I like these type of movies... So I'll go see it. But why did Natalie Portman have to shave her head?
"Directing ain't about drawing a neat little picture and showing it to the cameraman. I didn't want to go to film school. I didn't know what the point was. The fact is, you don't know what directing is until the sun is setting and you've got to get five shots and you're only going to get two." - David Fincher

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by FilmPirate
I like these type of movies... So I'll go see it. But why did Natalie Portman have to shave her head?
It's not a fashion statement: it's part of the story, and it makes sense. You'll see.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by pokerjillian
Hey the director of V for Vendetta will be James McTeigue. I think this is first directors job, he was an assistant on the Matrix movies and last two Star Wars films. From what I read this movie sounds great.

Jillian
Will be the director? The film is already finished, cut, and in the can.... It hits theaters next month, unless it got delayed again, which I don't think it has.

I don't hold much hope for the film, but will of course go see it, as I love the source material...

i think v for Vendatta wil lbe good, it wil be a good one like 1984 and equilibrium and others like it but while im on the subject they should do a remake for 1984 because the movie just doesn't do jutsice for the book

Even though it clearly needed a budget boost, I really enjoyed Hurt, Burton et al. in 1984. I thought most of it was spot on to the book, and I enjoyed all the performances. Although, Julia was clearly out of razor blades, as well...

Can we hope??

"We have here something that we rarely see in SF films these days... a movie about ideas over action, character over special effects, and emotion over action." - Ain't it cool news

Success is the only Earthly judge..
Well I am 16 and my googd friend will be turning 17-(rated r) like three days after it opens and he's been rubbing it in my face that he will get to see it, and I may not...

Woe be on him like white on rice, on a paper plate, in a cup of milk, in a snow storm...

Alot of ppl say they didnt like the plot behind The Matrix trillogy, but I took a liking to it. So I hope that the brothers do just as good, if not a better job on this one and visual wise, well it should kick ass, thats a given!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
For the comic, a synopsis of what we're to expect, hopefully from the film:

From School Library Journal
Grade 9 Up–The date is November 5th, 1997. War has ravaged England, entire races have been eradicated, the entire British populace is under constant surveillance, and the absolute power is absolutely corrupt. On this historic day, a man with a strong resemblance to Guy Fawkes (in action and dress) blows up Parliament. The bomber, a masked character named V, saves a girl named Eve from a violent crime and takes her under his wing. Moore's dystopian, fascist version of England, ruled by one central leader and his sects (named after parts of the body, such as Finger, Nose, and Voice), is systematically dismantled by the enigmatic V. Readers must ultimately decide if V is a mad anarchist/terrorist or a freedom-fighting avenger for good. Originally published in 1989, V has been reissued as a hardcover book with never-seen-before sketches and two new vignettes. This story is slated to be released as a major motion picture in 2006, and demand should intensify as the movie trailers come out. Combining alternate history with moral questions about freedom and identity, this book would work well in a school setting; and while there is some slight nudity and violence, they fit well within the framework of the story.–Jennifer Feigelman, Plattekill Public Library, Modena, NY

And man I love this quote from Moore in his interview with Comic Book Resources:
(http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...g&article=2153)

"They seemed to believe that the head of 20th Century Fox called me up and persuaded me to steal this screenplay, turning it into a comic book which they could then adapt back into a movie, to camouflage petty larceny." This led to Moore giving a ten-hour deposition - he believes he'd have suffered less if he'd "sodomised and murdered a busload of children after giving them heroin."

i'm scared to see the film, mostly cuz i feel it'll be another League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was a disappointment. The first trailers I saw made me think of it, and I didn't even know the original author was the same for both. The current trailers are not so bad, but still, I'm wary.

I'm not even a big comic book reader, didn't know who Alan Moore was ... like him, I'm scared of what they're gonna do with his original vision. Then again, I love action, scifi, hero/anti-hero flicks, so I know I will probably see it. argh.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by thmilin
"They seemed to believe that the head of 20th Century Fox called me up and persuaded me to steal this screenplay, turning it into a comic book which they could then adapt back into a movie, to camouflage petty larceny." This led to Moore giving a ten-hour deposition - he believes he'd have suffered less if he'd "sodomised and murdered a busload of children after giving them heroin."
God love Alan Moore!

i'm scared to see the film, mostly cuz i feel it'll be another League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was a disappointment. The first trailers I saw made me think of it, and I didn't even know the original author was the same for both. The current trailers are not so bad, but still, I'm wary.
I'm more willing to trust the Wachowskis (who have at least turned out good work) over the guys responsible for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I'm holding out hope, but to have Alan Moore say the things he's said about this film really makes me sweat...

I'm not even a big comic book reader, didn't know who Alan Moore was ... like him, I'm scared of what they're gonna do with his original vision. Then again, I love action, scifi, hero/anti-hero flicks, so I know I will probably see it. argh.
I'm guessing the film will most likely be really enjoyable to those who haven't read the book, but only so-so (or even a disgrace) to prior fans. So, if you want to enjoy the film, don't read the book. But I'm tellin' ya, the book is always better for a reason...

I'll be seeing V for Vendetta at an early screening Monday. I don't hold out much hope that it'll be a good adaptation, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yeah, sleezy, i don't think i'll read it beforehand.

holden, let us know!!

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Sedai
I am re-reading it now...
idem.

V for Vendetta (James McTeigue)

OK, first of all what the movie V for Vendetta isn't: it isn't Alan Moore's story. I can see why he took his name off the credits. The underlying basics are the same and some sequences remain, though in different order. But whole large sections are not used at all, and major characters are wildly changed or excised completely to be replaced with things Alan never wrote, owing more to Orwell than Moore. BUT if you can forget all that (which may well be too big a "but" for some) or you haven't ever read the novel anyway, V for Vendetta is a darn good flick. I can't say I really understand why the Wachowskis strayed so very far from the original material, but to give them credit the new story they fashion works anyway, almost like an alternate history to the alternate history: not better or worse, just different. It's definitely not the disaster that The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was, which completely changed the story and then substituted pure *****.

V for Vendetta is about a revolutionary vigilante who calls himself V and wears the mask of Guy Fawkes, who's 17th Century Gunpowder Plot was foiled before he could blow up British Parliament. The setting is a London of the 1990s where a series of alternate history catastrophes in the '80s led to the instillation of a Totalitarian State. Through a series of grand theatrical missions and assassinations, V is attempting another gunpowder plot of his own, though he also has personal revenge on his mind against some of the party heads who were involved in a conspiracy that effected him beyond the societal terrors of the regime. Evey (Natalie Portman) is a girl who V saves one night in an alley who becomes a sometimes accomplice in his treason and witness to his story, and Stephen Rea is the lead investigator on the case and seemingly the only person in the higher levels of the government with a conscience.

The believability of Natalie Portman's accent does go in and out, but overall she erases much of the stain from her horrid work in Lucas' prequels. Stephen Rea, though really a completely different character than the book, is perfect for his role as written here. And they do stay true to one crucial aspect of V himself: Hugo Weaving never shows his face, always obscured behind masks or shadows. And he's really very good, considering he has to work cheifly with his voice. Director James McTeigue does a fine job assembling a conspiracy thriller action opera that isn't full of wall to wall needless stunts and kinetic energy but finds plenty of time for character and ideas. And especially for a first film, it was an ambitious task that he handles with seeming ease.

Comic book fans if you're prepared for how drastically different it is and go with it, you're in for a good time at the movies. And aybody else wanting to see a good movie, V for Vendetta is it.

GRADE: B+